Any sighthound owners here?

kelbel

I have what my vet says is probably a Saluki mix. Just wondering if anyone has ever owned or known one. I'm wondering about their temperment. Lucy is afraid of everything. I know she wasn't socialized much before 10 months and thats a big part of it. I didn't know what a Saluki was before I got Lucy. If anyone has experience with these dogs I would love to talk to you.

This is Lucy tracking mudd on my carpet!

taratippy

Ive currently got a saluki mix as a foster and I have what we think is a saluki/borzoi.
Many things depend on the mix, our foster we think is possibly whippet cross and is a real babe but rather scatty.
You will need to be very careful with any off lead activities, sighthounds are rather prone to see something and go.

Sounds like she could do with some training, very gentle introduction to the world, if possible. Im sure you'll figure it out together but please tell us some more. Oh and piccies would be good.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I do own a hound, although not a sighthound. One thing is very true for all hounds: do NOT ever let them off leash in an unfenced area, no matter how well-trained or well-behaved they are. When they catch sight (or scent) of prey, they can become deaf or dumb to all else. One of my coworkers lost her borzoi when it chased a squirrel into the path of a car. My hound once tried to jump off a bridge with a 15-foot drop in pursuit of a raccoon.

From what I understand, scenthounds are wonderful, gentle dogs. Just keep up the socialization, and have strangers give her plenty of yummy treats on a regular basis. Good luck with your baby!

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
I've never had a saluki, but I have had numerous greyhounds and trained afghans and whippets. I tend to disagree with the statement that they "can't be reliable", but you definetly have some more instincts to compete with.
I found with the greyhounds (alot of which I got from rescue) training had to be accompanied with great treats and the happiest voice you can manage. When they ger fearful you have to remain very calm and soothing, don't expect too much too soon. Go for daily walks and don't get agitated if she shies.

kelbel

Thanks for all your responses. My mom had a real scare with Lucy tonight. She was walking all three dogs (I was at work) and stopped to clean up after them. Somehow Lucy's leash became detached from her collar and Lucy took off. As she was running down the street a car came around the corner. It came within inches of hitting her. I'm thanking God now that it was an old man going very slow in that car.

Lucy was given to me by a coworker. Her daughter, Christina, had gone to a party at the apartment where her owner lived. Christina didn't like the way the owner treated Lucy and told him. Well his reply was something to the effect of "Take her if you want to. If you don't I'm just gonna put her in a box on the side of the road." Well they took her and gave her to me.
She came with an airline carrier style crate where you could see she had been scratching frantically to get out, a cat bowl, and a bag of Purina beneful weight control formula (10 months old and very skinny). She was very shy around new people, especially men. I got her on May 20th. I took her to the dog park almost every day till I moved on August 20th. She loved being chased by other dogs. It was so funny to see her in the front with a pack of dogs chasing her and my puppy, Abby, bringing up the rear. She improved tons because she met new people and dogs every day. She never would get very close to the people though.
Well there is no dog park here so I take them to a baseball field to run. They also get walked 4 times a day (2 long, 2 short) because I have no fenced yard. It's embarassing walking her because she barks at all the people we see. She definitely needs training. I want to get her in a class for the socialization. I've already been looking for trainers in the area. I'm kinda working through a rough spot but should be able to afford it in a month or so.

kelbel

taratippy-

The picture in my first post is the only one I have right now. I'll try to take some more tomorrow if I can get her to hold still.
Post some pictures of your doggies. I want to see them. :D

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Kelbel..I really cannot help with the hound stuff because I do not have a hound!!!! Sorry!!!! :)

But, You said that she can with Purina food....are you still feeding this???

If you are please stop!!! It is JUNK!!!! :( There are NO good things in the is food!!!

Try Candae, Eagles Pack, or Innovo!!! These are GREAT foods that are VERY good for your dog!!! Her coat will be shinner and her stool will be very firm!!! :D

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I just Adorable Salukis - they are my absolute favourite sight hound!

I wish I could have seen some today at the show..

I've yet to see one at shows too - its disappointing.. they are so beautiful.

Borzois are fairly nice as well though and I do enjoy watching them. There is a breeder down this way that does Obedience with her Borzois as well as conformation. They are just fabulous to watch in the ring! I believe she competes at the UD level with them now as well! Impressive! :)

T

tessa_s212

I may have a basenji mix. I have been told she most likely has basenji in her, but we will never be for sure.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
salukis are beautiful, she doesnt look underweight in the top picture realy, depending on what shes mixed with, salukis are naturally Depp chested SLIM breeds.

the are sighthounds...sighthouds chase what they see (id love a wolife, salukie or greyhound but having chis (small as rabbits) i cant risk initiating the prey drive lol) unfortunatly at that point they tend to become temporarily deaf and any offleash work should be done somewhere securly fenced.
Salukis are extreemly atheltic, and agile.

They do NOT like to be spoken to in a harsh tone or be shouted at or disaplined, they are very "gentle natured" dogs who need firm but kind hand and patients.
they do tend to be aloof too and are actually quite skittish by nature.

the only salukies ive ever known were wonderfull but always a little "shy" of strangers and new situations.
One woudl go as far as try and cross the streat on walks if another human walked too close...

In all honesty your dog looks a lot like a Siberian Husky/Greyhound to me which is a very common mix used as sled dogs. Very pretty and athletic looking dog you have!

jess2416

Who woulda thought
She probably wont answer considering this is a year old thread ;)

:lol-sign:

Members online

No members online now.