Those who bought from responsible breeders...

I wouldn't buy from a kijiji breeder but I would take a dog from someone looking to privately rehome. I never thought I would but I don't want to go through the hassle of being inspected, judged and perhaps "deemed worthy".

I wouldn't buy from a kijiji breeder but I would take a dog from someone looking to privately rehome. I never thought I would but I don't want to go through the hassle of being inspected, judged and perhaps "deemed worthy".
That's where Diesel came from, I had worked with his original owner and we were (and are) friends on Facebook, but I first saw her add on kijiji. Gage was a free to good home dog from a local forum. And there is a doodle mutt on kijiji today that needs a new home that if I had the room I would have gone for in a heartbeat.

I really want a show dog next, but if the right dog came up on kijiji needing a home at the right time I wouldn't hesitate in getting Instead of the show dog. But I will not contact a rescue group purposely.

I think it's a HUGE reason that most people are turned away from rescues. It has become so hard to get an animal from some if these rescues, some going so far as to ask for financial statements I mean really!?! And add to that the adoption fees are often as high or higher as buying a pup from kijiji why do it? You have the same odds of hereditary problems, and you have to answer 1000 questions, I can totally see why people go to kijiji. It's almost a status symbol to say one was able to adopt from xyz rescue and pass their bs.
I can agree with this. A shelter near me took in a bunch of puppy mill dogs maybe a month or so ago. I was seriously considering adding one of the yorkies to my home. There were five of them and they raised their adoption fee from the normal $100 to $350 just because of their breed. And they were complaining on their fb page a week later that they were surprised none had been adopted yet.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I think it's a HUGE reason that most people are turned away from rescues. It has become so hard to get an animal from some if these rescues, some going so far as to ask for financial statements I mean really!?! And add to that the adoption fees are often as high or higher as buying a pup from kijiji why do it? You have the same odds of hereditary problems, and you have to answer 1000 questions, I can totally see why people go to kijiji. It's almost a status symbol to say one was able to adopt from xyz rescue and pass their bs.
Pretty much agree with this:

I still cant.....giving money to a rescue who helps dogs versus a crappy breeder who is adding to the problem...apples and oranges.
Honestly, it's completely different. When you buy a puppy from kijiji... the money is going into somebody's pocket. When you pay an adoption fee, the money is going to pay expenses to keep the rescue/shelter running, and to feed/vet the animals in their care.

Take a shelter, for example. Even just a small shelter, costs $150+ a day to keep running. That is just for lights, air conditioning and other electricity. Never mind paying the staff that allows them to run. Even though many are mostly volunteers... staff are needed. Never mind food to keep the animals alive. Never mind vet care. Never mind the cost of spay/neuter. Running a shelter costs money. That's what it comes down to. Unfortunately, especially in this economy, donations just aren't cutting it. Somehow, they need to make up these funds.

Rescues, while run by volunteers, often don't get any food donated, often get the "harder cases", or the animals needing more veterinary care. They often get less donations. They don't get any form of government funding. They are solely on donations and adoption costs.

I can agree with this. A shelter near me took in a bunch of puppy mill dogs maybe a month or so ago. I was seriously considering adding one of the yorkies to my home. There were five of them and they raised their adoption fee from the normal $100 to $350 just because of their breed. And they were complaining on their fb page a week later that they were surprised none had been adopted yet.
I do not have a problem with this at all. It's really not unheard of. Fact is, purebred, small dogs, people will pay a higher adoption fee for. Why not recuperate some costs you spend on other dogs? It's not like every dog they adopt they are making money to care for other dogs.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Pretty much agree with this:

Honestly, it's completely different. When you buy a puppy from kijiji... the money is going into somebody's pocket. When you pay an adoption fee, the money is going to pay expenses to keep the rescue/shelter running, and to feed/vet the animals in their care.

Take a shelter, for example. Even just a small shelter, costs $150+ a day to keep running. That is just for lights, air conditioning and other electricity. Never mind paying the staff that allows them to run. Even though many are mostly volunteers... staff are needed. Never mind food to keep the animals alive. Never mind vet care. Never mind the cost of spay/neuter. Running a shelter costs money. That's what it comes down to. Unfortunately, especially in this economy, donations just aren't cutting it. Somehow, they need to make up these funds.

Rescues, while run by volunteers, often don't get any food donated, often get the "harder cases", or the animals needing more veterinary care. They often get less donations. They don't get any form of government funding. They are solely on donations and adoption costs.

I do not have a problem with this at all. It's really not unheard of. Fact is, purebred, small dogs, people will pay a higher adoption fee for. Why not recuperate some costs you spend on other dogs? It's not like every dog they adopt they are making money to care for other dogs.
Good post.

I should have pointed out that I don't necessarily have a problem with them raising the fee for a purebred dog (and that isn't the reason I didn't get one of them) but the fact that they were complaining that the dogs weren't being adopted fast enough. But it probably did have something to do with the higher adoption fee. Sorry, when I type on my iPod, I don't usually get to my point as well because I hate typing on it and try to hurry.

I don't have time to read through the entire thread right now, SO...

What was your reasoning for buying vs rescuing?
Simplified=
#1, the "knowing" part
#2, I wanted a dog I could "compete" with, particularly in agility and nowadays herding
#3, I wanted a herding breed, it's just what I like.

Extended=
-I wanted to be able to somewhat get to predict the size, temperament, "breed", and health (more overall than anything) of the dog I was getting.
-When I got my first bought purebred I had slightly less standards then (I was turning 13, he was to be my birthday gift actually, a well thought out <but sadly not well thought out enough> gift), but a few things in mind, I had watched my first ever agility competition on Animal planet just the previous year, it was by the AKC so at that point, having no one in my life to guide me at all, I figured that in order to compete in "agility" my dog had to be AKC registered, thus a purebred. I ended up on the Pembroke Welsh Corgi.
Now, I know better about the true differences in a good breeder Vs a Responsible breeder, and that you don't need a purebred to do agility, but I got into herding and still wanted to stick to a herding dog, but again I had very high standards, namely that the dog didn't have a "long flowing coat", and wasn't a Border collie or GSD because I was and still am SICK of the politics (not just those IN the ring either, actually those outside of the ring I've found are worse). It's not to say I didn't look, I did, and ran into several problems, the most being "lack of selection", pretty much nothing ever came through our local shelters/rescue that was remotely what I was looking for (pit bull, lab, coonhound, beagle, husky/part husky, "bite risk"/"single pet home only", etc.), that and as I just posted recently, I did find two VERY purebred Beaucerons in rescues, who refused any out of location adoptions *sigh*.

Have you rescued before?
Yes. Namely, a puppy who was dumped in my front lawn one night (this happened to 3 counties at least that I know of, 3 different occasions), she was actually to be my first agility dog, she passed around 6 months old (we guessed she was about 8 weeks old).

Did you feel any guilt for purchasing?
Absolutely NOT, never will. Because I put so much thought into it, they are mine for life, and because I know what I was passing over at the shelter (pretty much everything that wouldn't have fit well into my household/life) I feel really good to have brought a well bred dog into my life.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
If I know I am looking for a "certain" personality, I like to walk through a shelter (I always put ear plugs in to negate the barking ... Plus it helps me concentrate on body lingo) spend time with a few dogs that catch my eye, I love rescue & will always donate but the whole meeting the fosterers half way thing is a little tedious at times. Plus I think I'm going to go for a puppy this next time & rescues don't often have pups like he shelters do

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Quinn was from a breeder, and my next dog (another ES) will be as well.

When I was looking for Quinn, I was 18 and looking for my first dog. We had always had active family dogs, but Quinn was to be my first solo trained dog that I wanted to dabble in some sports with, that I would take with me when I moved out. The biggest benefit, for me, of going to a breeder was that she knew her bloodlines and her dogs inside out. She was a 3 hour drive away, so before I committed to a puppy she arranged for my mom and I to meet with a more local lady who owned Quinn's sire's litter sister. When I did decide to jump into this breed, I got weekly (sometimes twice a week) updates on how the pups were maturing, what new things she introduced them to that week and how they reacted, and an individual break down of how each puppy was developing. When we went at 6 weeks to meet the litter, she was welcoming, she was engaging and curious about our dogs and our horses and told us all about her past dogs as well. I was expecting to have her say x puppy was the best fit, but she told me both x and y would be suitable and we talked one on one in her garage for over an hour about both possible puppies. She even postponed her placing of the litter to do some additional puppy tests for me. As a result of her wonderful puppy raising and evaluating, I have THE most stable and perfect dog (for me) and I thank my breeder all the time for making it happen. That's why I went with a breeder and will do so again.

I have never rescued by myself, but growing up we had more rescues than breeder dogs. This includes dogs pulled from shelters on the euth list, strays, to an AKC registered rehome who was kennel raised and incredibly insecure/anxious. We had some wonderful wonderful dogs (most were fosters - one was a great drivey ACD who went on to do SAR), we had some fosters with some issues, and we actually rehomed the AKC dog to a quieter and more suitable home where she thrived.

Even Dally is very well bred, but wasn't raised by her (good) breeder but rather by another lady who put zero work into those puppies and put them in traumatic situations. We struggled with Dally a LOT as a puppy/young dog - now she just has very bad anxiety off property. When my mom was looking for her next puppy, she was sure from the start that she'd go to a breeder as we need something compatible with our other dogs, livestock, and be stable and confident enough to be a "go anywhere, do anything" type dog. Between this puppy and my addition in 2014 or 2015 (which she doesn't want to jeopardize), we will be at our dog limit so can't afford to take a big risk (although of course everything is a bit of a risk).

I would absolutely rescue in the future if I didn't have my heart set on a working or performance dog and wouldn't be upset if the dog wasn't suitable. I can very easily imagine myself with two ES, and then a smaller, easy going adult rescue (preferably a Cav!). That would be my perfect pack! That is assuming, at that point in my life, I might be rescue-approved. I am not, currently, due to young age, an intact bitch, and an unfenced property (nevermind that it is 50 acres and 1km off the road). If not from a formal rescue, I would also be very open to a private rehome.

Members online

No members online now.