Flexi leash and old man rant

I'm jogging with Katalin around the neighborhood - her on just her flat collar and black thick euro lead and we come across a corner - we proceed to go straight through but these two Westies/Malti somethings come bouncing out of nowhere from around the corner.

I pivot and lead Katalin to a different direction as I think they're off lead - they follow us and are snarling, growling, barking etc, really nasty - and I notice they are on loose FLEXI f*cking leads! at the end of which is a older looking gentleman making absolutely NO effort to restrain or to get them off of us.

Katalin is all riled up and in intense play mode - those two terrors would have ripped her head off had they had the size advantage - that man had NO control of them whatsoever. They obviously were not trained and shouldn't have been on Flexi leads in the first place nor should they be allowed to run up and harass other passing dogs or people - had my puppy of choice been a Caucasian Ovcharka or if Katalin wasn't as friendly as she is - they could have had serious damage done to them. I had control of my dog - I turned the other direction - he did NOTHING about his dogs harassing us. I first asked him to "please get your dogs out of our way" - after I chewed him out and told him not to keep them on flexi leads, NEVER let them off leash, and to please mind and ask beforehand about dogs that they may approach. He didn't seem like he was listening or in fact understood. Whatever - I'm going to the opposite side of them if we run into them again.

monkeys23

Unfortunately people just don't care to be responsible in many cases. Sounds like you guys did well despite the jerk.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I agree. So frustrating when people have no control over their dog and it is on a FLEXI lead. A few months ago, we were at a small concert and I walked pass a Standard Poodle (with Harlow), and the Standard Poodle attacks Harlow. She didn't even look at the **** thing. The owners just sat there. Number one, you shouldn't have your DA dog on a FLEXI lead and you shouldn't just sit there and not pay attention to your surroundings.

I feel your pain. Average people who own dogs can be so irritating.

We met the two little terrors again this evening - being walked by a younger woman though, his daughter perhaps, or wife, mistress - whatever.

I really chewed her out and said that they SHOULDN'T be on a Flexi lead and she shouldn't be allowing that kind of behavior (barking, snarling, lunging, growling - all completely just at the SIGHT of a dog with NO provocation from the passing dog at all). She just stood and mousily said "ok..." I followed up with hurling this at her (perhaps abit over the top but I was p!ssed):

"That's very dangerous behavior on their part; If you happen to run into a large dog that is intolerant of that kind of thing - they could end up as a midnight snack. You really might not be so lucky next time around - get them off that flexi and DON'T put up with their crap anymore."

She looked stunned and as though I had told her that the Easter bunny was a child rapist. Meh, I don't really give a rat's ass if your dog is well or badly behaved - just don't let them harass me and my dog please.

Grrrrr. People can amaze you with obtuseness sometimes.

I was walking Tallulah -- you know, the MONSTER breed, the APBT, and a guy with a mini Schnauzer on a flexi was walking toward us. I pulled Tallulah in on a shorter lead, no big deal, she's extremely good on walks, really the most dependable of all my three.

The Schnauzer went rabid, snarling, lunging, snapping toward us and the guy did try to reel him in but the flexi jammed and Tallulah had a snarling little dog trying to find a place to chew on her.

Poor Tallulah just leaned up against me and looked at me with her "WTF is this?" face while we backed up.

I'll give the guy credit, he was embarrassed and apologized profusely . . . and complained that his wife wouldn't let him have a pitbull because they were "awful" and he couldn't wait to tell her about what just happened, lol.

The same dog attacked Kharma when the wife was walking him. On the flexi. And she acted like it was KHARMA's fault, that a big dog didn't have any right to be out in public and coddled her poor widdle innocent baby. :rolleyes: Now, Kharma . . . she never forgets or forgives. She won't hurt it, but that doesn't mean she won't be vocal with her feelings :eek: Not that I really blame her.

I'll bet the wife, at least, still walks the thing on that flexi. And she'll blame someone else when another dog gets irritated and retaliates. Like will probably happen someday to the two you ran into.

Skyylar

We have flexi's but there are a few rules about the flexi's in our house.

1. No dog that is not leash trained will be on the flexi.

2. Children walking dogs shall use a regular leather leash.

3. When the flexi's are on we pay very close attention to our surroundings and ask for a heel from the dogs when people or other dogs are nearby.

I enjoy the freedom the flexi gives WELL behaved dogs but some people never cease to amaze me with their craziness. I've seen someone with two labs on flexi's, at the end of them dragging the owner. I'm amazed they didn't break.

Indeed Renee. Absolutely NO provocation coming from the other side - they just catch sight of their stimulus and proceed to go berserk. Katalin would kinda flip out and go into crazy play mode in her earlier days but I nipped that in the bud pretty easily and early on. She's calm, polite and abit more composed now outside and on walks as long as no one eggs her on to get into that "wild" mode again.

I'd have no qualms whatsoever about both people and dogs getting it served to them from a doggy with low tolerance for idiocy and BS.
But their owners/handlers had ZERO control over them, that stuff really amazes me (not in a good way) - you don't allow a dog of ANY size in your charge to behave like a bloody fool! Period. They just seemed like people who wanted a cuddle and short walk buddy without doing any work, training, obedience, etc. My advice to people like them is to get a teddy bear instead - you can hug it all you want and you can carry it when you go out for strolls. No poo to pick up, training to be done, or even food to be bought. Oh well...

Skyylar,

I just really dislike Flexi's. Even when Katalin heels perfectly I would never have her on a Flexi - if I absolutely HAD to use one I'd just keep it on locked at a extension of 4 foot. Personal preference I guess.

So....

For any dog of mine. But again, that's just me =)

All three of mine could spring one without trying, and even though they have nice manners, there's always that one time -- the groundhog that pops his head up (yes, we have them here in town, along with possums, raccoons, rabbits and various and sundry other types of what the dogs consider "fast food"), or the suicidal cat that wants to taunt Tallulah. They give Kharma a wide berth and she's more apt to ignore them.

And then there are the idiots (including our local city cops, even some of the K9 handlers) who like to drive-by tease Kharma for some unfathomable reason.

Yah, flexis just aren't a good idea at my house :eek: but I can see where they'd be fine for someone else. When I take one of the dogs to Panther Creek I use a 20' rope, and even then I attach it to the regular collar and leave the lead on the prong and weave the rope through the shorter lead's loop.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
People are just idiots sometimes regardless of the leash they are using. I've had issues with people using 4ft leashes too... I just keep my distance and make sure I at least know I have my dog under control.

Members online