Thoughts?

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
So Wilson has been home now for four weeks. Has been neutered for 3 weeks. He has gotten along fine with my two other dogs for the most part--a few scuffles, but doing ok (you have seen the pics!)

Now I am not looking to debate the dog park issue. We use the town park, where all have to register, pay a fee, and there are "regulars"--it has worked well for us thus far. The first few times there, Wilson got along fine. Recently, he has been aggressive with several different dogs. He kind of goes on alert, and when "greeting" may launch right into an aggressive mode. I am not sure of what to make of this?

At this point I am not unleashing him if there are other dogs in the park. I have a 15 foot lead, and am walking him, letting him explore, and trying to monitor/manage his reactions.

At home I am working on obedience--he is responding to sit, and down. He does not stay, and his recall is inconsistent at this point. He appears to want to play with the other dogs, but I can not figure out which dogs push his buttons or why (happens with males and females). My other two I know which dogs they take issue with, and we deal as need be.

Also, if he behaves this way with other dogs--might this occur with my own crew?
Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions. He is a great dog--and I am hoping we will be able to figure this out.

BostonBanker

Can you describe your dog park a bit? I know every place has different kinds. Our dog parks are fenced in fields with a lot of people standing around and dogs running loose; I know others have described hiking trails and such in their parks.

What kind of "aggressive behavior" are you seeing in these situations?

I know you aren't looking to debate, and I totally get it, but as I'm sure you know, some dogs just aren't dog park dogs. Mine is one of them. She can interact beautifully with a lot of dogs I introduce her to, but the un-controlled greetings that occur at the type of dog park we have don't work for her. Being on-leash, even a long one, will ALWAYS make her worse. I feel it is very unfair to require a dog to be leashed at the type of dog parks we have.

"Moving" greetings are best for her. I hike her off-leash a lot, and if we are going to pass another dog/s, I pick up the pace a bit. There is the inevitable dog greeting, but I'm not standing there watching and getting worried; I just keep moving and call her to follow. She has never once had an issue with those types of greetings, even if the other dog is one of her trigger dogs or if they chase after following her. I'm moving, not acknowledging the greeting, just "Come on, this way!".

As for having issues with your dogs, obviously nobody can know. I do know that once my dog has gotten over the initial greeting, there is rarely an issue. Perhaps a growl and an evil eye if someone gets too close to her personal bubble, but if she's going to start something, it will happen immediately.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
our dog park is a fenced in area, with trees and bushes--but no trails, etc. Dogs are typically running off leash-- I dont' tend to go during 'peak" times...but usually there are a handful of people--some just chatting, some playing frisbee, etc.
Traveler loves to retrieve, and Baxter loves to sniff--so usually that is what we are doing. Wilson is not so engaged in a particular activity--and seems to want to interact with the other dogs.
I do know some dogs don't do well in a park--I didn't anticipate that Wilson would be reactive, based on how he behaved initially. Don't know if he is just feeling "more at home' now--so am trying to figure out a game plan here!
Thanks for your thoughts.

pacopoe

Can you describe your dog park a bit? I know every place has different kinds. Our dog parks are fenced in fields with a lot of people standing around and dogs running loose; I know others have described hiking trails and such in their parks.

What kind of "aggressive behavior" are you seeing in these situations?

I know you aren't looking to debate, and I totally get it, but as I'm sure you know, some dogs just aren't dog park dogs. Mine is one of them. She can interact beautifully with a lot of dogs I introduce her to, but the un-controlled greetings that occur at the type of dog park we have don't work for her. Being on-leash, even a long one, will ALWAYS make her worse. I feel it is very unfair to require a dog to be leashed at the type of dog parks we have.

"Moving" greetings are best for her. I hike her off-leash a lot, and if we are going to pass another dog/s, I pick up the pace a bit. There is the inevitable dog greeting, but I'm not standing there watching and getting worried; I just keep moving and call her to follow. She has never once had an issue with those types of greetings, even if the other dog is one of her trigger dogs or if they chase after following her. I'm moving, not acknowledging the greeting, just "Come on, this way!".

As for having issues with your dogs, obviously nobody can know. I do know that once my dog has gotten over the initial greeting, there is rarely an issue. Perhaps a growl and an evil eye if someone gets too close to her personal bubble, but if she's going to start something, it will happen immediately.
Good post!

Personally I'd stay away for a little bit longer until you get to know each other better and his hormones subside. At one month he's beginning to relax but what's the harm in waiting a few more weeks until your bond is stronger and you know how to read him better? The longer you take the more his hormones will subside and he/other dogs won't react so strongly. The more bad experiences he has now the longer it will take to un-do them.

Think of it this way, he's lived without the dog park so far in his life, what's the harm in putting it off a few weeks more?

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
Good post!

Personally I'd stay away for a little bit longer until you get to know each other better and his hormones subside. At one month he's beginning to relax but what's the harm in waiting a few more weeks until your bond is stronger and you know how to read him better? The longer you take the more his hormones will subside and he/other dogs won't react so strongly. The more bad experiences he has now the longer it will take to un-do them.

Think of it this way, he's lived without the dog park so far in his life, what's the harm in putting it off a few weeks more?
no harm in staying away--just my other two enjoy it so much, that it made sense that I would bring Wilson along too. But certainly I want what will be positive experiences for him, and if that means not going to the park for awhile (or not at all if that's what it comes to) then we will cope. It is the one place I can let Baxter run off leash, and allow him to really sniff around the way he wants/needs to--he would have made a great hunting dog for someone!
And again--thanks for the input. I can certainly undertake basic dog training, etc....but am not a savvy trainer/behaviorist by any means!

ACooper

I want to toss something out to see what you think of it Bax.

Since Wilson didn't seem to have an issue with the dog park at first...........do you think any of the recent events could stem from him becoming more part of your pack? What I mean is, now he feels he BELONGS, he is part of the "gang" and thus might feel the need to "protect" you or the other two dogs from anything HE is deciding is threatening.

Getting on the "possessive" side of having a family?? Strange for a hound I think, but probably not unheard of.

Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
I actually wondered if he is feeling more like it is 'his" territory--so, yeah in a way I think feeling like a part of the pack. I'm not sure.
While I am confident he is part Basset hound, his personality is not as houndy as you would think! He isn't drive by his nose, he isn't as food oriented as hounds typically are, and he is a busy body! He actually is quite an active guy, --likes to use his mouth alot (chew, mouths my hand, pulls on my pant leg)--usually as a communication of some sort. He is a funny guy!

edited to add--I am also working on his tolerance for dogs walking past the house. This seems to be something he is very alerted by now too. I spent the evening outfront of our house, with the dogs during 'prime dog walking time"--darned if there was only one dog out for a walk at that time!

Members online

No members online now.