Need some help deciding

Richie12345

Hello,

I can't seem to decide what dog to get. I have a fairly large house with a medium size yard. I know some big field areas for my future dog to play in.

The problem is, I can't decide what to get. I want a small or medium size dog, and I don't want him/her to be lazy. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Here are the dogs I am thinking about getting:

Jack Russell
Miniature Australian Sheperd
Basenji

-Richie :)

How active are you? How much time and money can you spend on things like training? What sort of climate do you live in? Have you had dogs before?

Don't mean to be too personal. The reason I ask is because all three of the breeds you mention can be a major handful, behavior- and training-wise. I certainly wouldn't recommend a Basenji to most people, even though they're irresistable! Have you thought about a Canaan dog? They can be a bit reserved and tend to be one-person dogs, but they are also just a little easier to handle than any of the other three. They're also pretty adaptable. But again, they require some serious time and attention, just like any herding breed. They need a job or they can be unhappy and destructive. Here's the Canaan Dog Club of America's website: http://www.cdca.org/

Welcome to the forums! :D

Richie12345

I am pretty active, but I am gone for about 6 hours a day due to school, I am willing to spend a couple hundred dollars for training maybe more, I live in San Diego, so it's warm and dry (I don't live near the ocean). I have not had a dog in my life, but I take my friend's dog out for walks, and I have been babysitting dogs for awhile now.

-Richie:)

P.S. Thank You!

Oh, then I wouldn't go for a Canaan dog. :) First, I'd consider adopting a rescue dog rather than purchasing a puppy. Puppies require SO much time and hard work. A young adult will still have cute puppy behaviors, but you'll get an idea of their personality and they'll be over the awful chewing-and-potty-training phase. You might try contacting a local greyhound rescue. They are fabulous "first" dogs. They can be laid back or energetic, depending on what you're doing at the time. They'd be okay alone for 6 hours--they make excellent couch-warmers! They don't usually require a lot of training, being pretty easy-going dogs. The one thing you'd have to watch for is overheating and sunburn. You'd need some outfits to keep the sun off, and maybe some doggles (www.doggles.com) to keep the sun out of his eyes. You'd have to keep him well hydrated and make sure he had shade. But all in all, they're really awesome dogs!

Richie12345

I really want a good companion, like those dogs you see in those T.V. shows and movies ("Lassy"; "My dog, spot", all that stuff).

I'm might be moving to Tampa, Florida. If I do move (my mother doesn't want to move) I would have a much bigger yard. So, just incase I do, would those dogs be appropriate, or would I still need to give them lots more attention? I know that 6 hours can be long time.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think a greyhound might be a perfect match for you!! Would you like me to look up some local rescues for you so you could get some more info?

Im tired right now so Im gonna just say rescue.

Emma if a Greyhound is good how about a Wiemeranner (sp)? Ive met some twitchy Greyhounds but have never met a Wiem I havent liked.

I've met twitchy Weims and Greyhounds. :) So much of a dog's personality and attitude depends on its home environment and how it's taught. There are genetic tendencies among dogs of a particular breed toward some particular behaviors, due to the fact that specific breeds were created for specific purposes.

For example, you can't ever take a greyhound off a leash in an unsecure area because they are sight hounds. They'll be gone before you know it. Weims are very intelligent and very sensitive, so they can develop compulsions or phobias a little more readily than your average Lab. But Dobies are the same way, and I'll never speak ill of them. A Weim is a good suggestion. They're really fun dogs, and they have a fantastic sense of humor. There's also nothing quite like a Weim in full gallop. They're breathtaking dogs, looks-wise.

Quite honestly, if you want the best of everything, health and behavior, head to the humane society and visit some good ol' mutts. (I volunteer 2 to 3 times a week in the Behavior and Training Dept. of our HS, and I leave every day completely in love with 4 or 5 new dogs!) In my experience, mutts are more stable emotionally and mentally, and they also tend to have less medical problems. The reason is genetic; with dogs of different or mixed breeds, less recessive genes tend to prevail.

You absolutely can't go wrong with CreatureTeacher's advice! A rescue that's past the early crazy puppy stages should be perfect for you. Retired racing greyhounds make great companions too - just like she said.

Please keep in mind the climate where you live when choosing a dog. If you choose a breed that's more acclimated to cooler weather be prepared to keep the AC running and doing your outdoor activities EARLY in the morning and after sundown.

Richie12345

Alright, thank you for your suggestions. I will have to talk about with my parents. I have never really met a Greyhound or Weim, they don't look mean, though :p.

GSDFan05

Weims tend to be pretty high strung and can be neurotic, I wouldn't recommend one to a first-time dog owner.

If you want a good companion, a retired racing hound is a GREAT idea, we have a couple as clients where I work and I always love it when they board with us. They are incredibly sweet and loving. With your schedule I'd definitely recommend a mature rescue dog, whatever breed you decide on (mixes make great pets too!). You won't have to deal with housebreaking, and the companionship aspect of a relationship with a dog doesn't really blossom until the puppy crazies are over (from my experience at least).

Welcome to the forums, and best of luck with your decision!

I would go for an older, housetrained rescue dog, too. A lab mix may be a good pick, they don't need a TON of exercise, but they do need at least around a half hour stroll every day.

EliNHunter

I'm in agreement with a rescue Greyhound TOTALLY! They are so sweet natured and adapt to inside/outside activity. They're total babies. And ESPECIALLY if you move to Florida! (climate!)

showpug

Greyhounds are deep loving and gentle souls. I have NEVER met a nasty one. They are living examples of the word "grace." Not to mention so many are thrown away after their racing careers. Give it some thought ;)

Richie12345

GSDFan05 said:
Weims tend to be pretty high strung and can be neurotic, I wouldn't recommend one to a first-time dog owner.

If you want a good companion, a retired racing hound is a GREAT idea, we have a couple as clients where I work and I always love it when they board with us. They are incredibly sweet and loving. With your schedule I'd definitely recommend a mature rescue dog, whatever breed you decide on (mixes make great pets too!). You won't have to deal with housebreaking, and the companionship aspect of a relationship with a dog doesn't really blossom until the puppy crazies are over (from my experience at least).

Welcome to the forums, and best of luck with your decision!
Well, my parents have owned dogs b4, and my dad stays at home so my family knows what to do. Greyhounds do tend to be big, though. And I just found out I am not moving to Tampa (my mom doesnt want to move, sadly :(). So right now, I am only allowed to get a medium or small sized dog. (not a chihuahua, don't care for them)

If not a Greyhound (although in my world they ARE small dogs, lol), then maybe a retired Whippet or Italian Greyhound. They have so many of the same characteristics, just in smaller packages.

Richie, let your dad know that dog sizes versus their energy level can be kind of couter-intuitive. If it's an issue of not enough space, then you should absolutely go smaller. But if you're looking for less trouble, larger dogs like we've been suggesting tend to be a lot more stable and calm. At this point, I'd definitely take a few trips to the local shelter with your dad and visit the mutts. I'm very excited for you! I hope this all comes to fruition!

Members online

No members online now.