Dr2little-help! trainer questions!!!

tinksmama

Please help me out here, I know I sound dumb, Tinkerbell is almost 5 months, and I'm having more problems than ever with her, she can be very scared of everything and everyone,and get nasty,and it's escalating. please don't flame me, I've tried everything i could so far, but I need advice- I know she needs a good trainer to help - but i don't know how to find one!
I've asked a few questions here before,and the answers all end with find a trainer...well, how do I do that? I don't think a petco experience will work here, I don't know what i want trained,and i don't know what questions to ask, or where to look!
I feel like if i get the wrong person, it'll go horribly wrong,and i'll lose my chance at social life for her at all.
She's getting more scared of absolutely everything,and starting to be nasty to all sorts of people/situations in spite of a lot of training-
What exactly can i look for? What behaviors could a trainer help me with? At this point i'd settle for her learning to ignore what scares her and remaining calm- and I feel like an idiot.
I've tried every method recommended for socializing,and I feel like all it's gotten me is a pup who's afraid of everything- is it all just too much? should I just let her stay at home and be alone? can a pup become overwhelmed with stimulation and just retreat into nastiness?
She's intelligent, and learns tricks and commands very well, but i love her so much I don't want to lock her in a castle tower.....
BTW, she adores me and DH,and has been very good with the kids,after an incident when she was younger, but she's getting worse around everyone else! HELP!

Can you tell me your location and I'll research some good trainers for you? If you want you can PM that info. Also, can you give me some examples of what a day in the life in Tink looks like and some examples of the situations that she's having problems with? I'd be happy to help..:)
I'm headed out later for a few private sessions but will get back to you tomorrow for sure.

tinksmama

Oh,thank you so much...I'm in central Ct,and hoping to find a reputable person somewhere near here..
A day in the life...2 kids, one 7 one 13 years, both rambunctious. she has her crate when she needs ot be left alone. Tink is a peke/chi mix.Her mother had to be separated from the pups after every nursing,as she was too rough on them. So much for early learning from mom.
Tink came from a very crowded noisy rescue,shared a kitchen area with up to 30 dogs at times(let in and out of crates, she weighed 2 pounds, the biggest dog was around 80 pounds.) had to fight for food at the bowl- and the man in charge,while fair-used a LOUD voice to gain control of the many rescue animals. and they instantly obeyed,as in"SILENCE<NOW!" so I don't know *how* he got them to obey like that,considering most of them were just passing through.
we got her at 7 weeks, and she was feisty from the get go. full of energy,and at first afraid of nothing, but as time went by, we began to see her relax in many ways, and at the same time begin to show a lot of fear. started with other dogs, absolute terror,accompanied by snapping and howling.
Then she started to show dominance issues with my youngest kid- as in she'd mutter a growl at him if she didn't want to be picked up or petted. spent a lot of time on teaching her that's wrong-she snapped at him once, when he touched her favored toy, that toy went in the garbage after a sharp reprimand, she hasn't done it again. she now patiently submits, but you can tell she doesn't really adore him.
I take her lots of places,canoeing,car rides,field trips, the park with the kids, picking kids up from camps, meeting lots of other kids who just love her in the process.like up to a 100 at a time. She seemed to enjoy up to around 20 kids 'visiting" her and petting, then she'd start to back off, then I'd keep her away from loving hands, and we'd do it again the next day-all the same.
She's done fine with the kid thing, we had a picnic a few weeks ago, 30 kids racing around wildly, she was fine. she was calm,and seemed to enjoy the attention. -she's now used to 8 other dogs, from family,and a few neighbors. ...but....She startles at every sound, and barks or acts like she'll tear whatever she's afraid of into pieces. sometimes it's a manhole cover, sometimes it's a person walking near us.
Last week, we went away for 5 days,and left her with a friend whom she knows, and their 3 kids and many animals. This friend owns 2 of her dog friends. She snapped at friends daughter(didn't bite,snapped the air,you know) snapped at another close friend of ours who was visiting babysitting friend,and her kid(no bites, the warning) and growled at everyone who came to their home.
We got home, picked her up- she was happy to be back, but had (of necessity) spent a lot of time crated for her behavior,and this friend is...um... a lot louder than me.Obviously Tink knew she was in the ****house.
Tink seemed unhappy,and when I fed her, she was back to her 'shaking all over and gobbling her food' routine that she had when we first got her.tail tucked,and ears down, miserable.
She's now,after a day and a half, settling back in with eating and into our routine-
Our inlaws are staying with us, and she is very wary,growled at gramma, allows grampa to touch her, but tail down, likes sis in law...just doesn't want to be touched,except by me-
took her to camp pickup today, tail down if a kid tried to pet her, wouldn't walk on lead, acted all freaky - is scared of every breath of air and touch,unless it's me.
i am working on her commands, and sort of starting from scratch, lots of repeat work, with praise and lots of positive stuff- but I just can't get over the growly stuff,she's always been vocal, tends to growl and grumble at all sorts of things, whether or not she seems happy or not. almost like sh'es always talking or vocalizing. however i don't want to dismiss anything,in case it's a truly bad thing that will get worse.then again, i don't want to overreact to noises, if they truly aren't meant to threaten.
have always used the NILIF stuff with her,and use Shirley Chongs great advice for positive training, her down stays are coming along nicely. But I don't think this can be dealt with positively. am I wrong?

Here are a few to call. I think that it is very important that you get her into classes as soon as possible. It is imperative that only positive methods are used for your dog. Any punishment will make matters worse, that's a given. Also, it is so important that your children attend classes with you and that they are totally involved with training and handling. Let me know what you think of these trainers and if you have any questions or need help narrowing your decision down.:)

Connecticut

Christina Hilliard, ABCDT
ABC Certified Dog Trainer
New Milford, Connecticut 06776
Phone: 860-355-5742
[email protected]
www.gentlepersuasions.com

Profile: Gentle Persuasions Dog Training LLC

In the comfort of your home, I offer basic obedience training and behavioral problem solving/prevention. I use training techniques that offer positive reinforcement to your dog. Your pup will happily learn what behaviors are polite without the consequences of painful punishment.

Angie LiPuma, ABCDT
North Branford, Connecticut 06471
Phone: 203-483-6834
[email protected]

Profile: Well Care Pet Sitting and Training

I offer basic obedience training and do one-on-one training if extra help is needed. I believe in training through praise. Time, patience and consistency are the rules I live by.

Jacqueline Nolan, ABCDT
New Britain, Connecticut 06053
Phone: 860-212-1156
[email protected]

Profile: Certified Pet Dog Trainer providing:

~ Puppy Kindergarten
~ Basic Obedience
~ Intermediate Dog and Handler
~ Advanced Canine Companion
~ Rally
~ Tricks
~ Clicker Training
~ Housetraining

tinksmama

Thank you so much for the list- I will start calling today,and try to get us in soon. Having the kids involved would be great also:)

Yes.:) I meant to post that before. You want to know if they use positive methods to train a puppy and if they have experience with what your particular issue is. How long have they been training and do they offer classes. Are dogs on or off leash during puppy class and how does she ensure a safe social environment for all puppies. Do they allow children in class and what age? Location and price of course are important. Size of class. Private support if needed, how..how much$. What behaviors are trained and are treats/clickers used. Treats should be used during puppy class but there should be instruction on how to fade treats and clicker (if used) during the class.
This pup should have positive experiences only. I would make sure your pup is not out of your sight again for a long while so that you can get things under control during this very important time in puppies life. It sounds like some things that the pup considered negative may have occured while you weren't present, although that's just an assumption and may not be the case.
Let me know how things are going..:)

tinksmama

Thank you for the list of questions, i am now writing them so i'll remember- yes, i agree, my very dear friend has a very different style than I do -though good hearted, it was too much for an overly nervous puppy. I know b/c I raised my voice inadvertantly today,and Tink just shrank down,it's hard to describe how she looked, but i knew then that yelling and probably a smack for bad behavior had occured.
I don't place blame, except on myself for not understanding beforehand that this wasn't a good idea. I'm sure friend just wanted to protect her kids from any harm done by a very scared pup.
Friends pup is very mellow,and easily trainable, and Tink is high strung to begin with, I learned my lesson,and she'll always be in an appropriate place for her after this when I have to be away.
On a better note, after a couple days home, she's settling in again, and while I'm looking for a trainer to help, I'm utilizing Shirley Chong site, stepping up the NILIF, the work,and the positive stuff. I had her in a down stay for 35 minutes today, using gentle methods,and she calmly let people walk by us while down in a public place.
My inlaws actually love her now after she calmed down, they laugh at her silly antics!
I've never had to deal with a high strung pup before, Scrappy is 10,and has always had a loving heart of gold with everyone.

tinksmama said:
Thank you for the list of questions, i am now writing them so i'll remember- yes, i agree, my very dear friend has a very different style than I do -though good hearted, it was too much for an overly nervous puppy. I know b/c I raised my voice inadvertantly today,and Tink just shrank down,it's hard to describe how she looked, but i knew then that yelling and probably a smack for bad behavior had occured.
I don't place blame, except on myself for not understanding beforehand that this wasn't a good idea. I'm sure friend just wanted to protect her kids from any harm done by a very scared pup.
Friends pup is very mellow,and easily trainable, and Tink is high strung to begin with, I learned my lesson,and she'll always be in an appropriate place for her after this when I have to be away.
On a better note, after a couple days home, she's settling in again, and while I'm looking for a trainer to help, I'm utilizing Shirley Chong site, stepping up the NILIF, the work,and the positive stuff. I had her in a down stay for 35 minutes today, using gentle methods,and she calmly let people walk by us while down in a public place.
My inlaws actually love her now after she calmed down, they laugh at her silly antics!
I've never had to deal with a high strung pup before, Scrappy is 10,and has always had a loving heart of gold with everyone.
It sounds like you're on the right track. Let me know how the trainers pan out or if you have any questions....Good Luck!!! Tinks a real cutie pie.:D

Members online

No members online now.