Pooped on my bed!

Becca_

chowchow
As I've said before, my daughter decided to train Kokomo to potty inside because she didnt want to take him outside. He never figured it out. Now 6 months later the two are living with me. WELL.....

Today I let the 3 outside to play for about an hour. I decided to let them come in for awhile. I then went to the dryer to empty it. I walked into my room and on my bed is POOP!!!! KOKOMO!!!!!!

I was so angry. My daughter came right then knowing he had messed somewhere. I scolded her and said "THIS is why you NEVER teach a dog to **** INSIDE!!!" Then went on to tell her she better start taking his training serious if she wants him living here! Of course she listens well. Twice after that she left without saying a word or taking him out. I know its not his fault. But I cant always be here to work with him, so I need her to help. Well, we are going to borrow a crate now. He wont like it one bit, she wont like it either. But my patience is leaving fast. More than ever I firmly believe if a person does not want to train a dog right then they have no business getting one.
Just ranting.

I cant belive this !! why in gods name did she get a dog ???
Can you find a new home for the dog ?? what kind of life is that ??
I think you should tell her that if she intends to stay with you she will have to train him to "go" outside ( among other things )

Good luck.

Becca,
I have a funny poop on the bed story that involves a foster husky mix, but I'll save that for a later post :)
Sounds like your daughter needs to start at square one with potty training Kokomo correctly. Hope she gets the clue. Rehoming an unpotty trained dog will probably be difficult.
Good luck! :)

rocco&quiras mama said:
I cant belive this !! why in gods name did she get a dog ???
Can you find a new home for the dog ?? what kind of life is that ??
I think you should tell her that if she intends to stay with you she will have to train him to "go" outside ( among other things )

Good luck.
So just because someone teaches their dog to go inside, they need to get rid of their dog?

I'm not sure what your issue is, but you seem fond of constantly accusing people of things and asserting your superiority. It's starting to wear thin.

i´ve never heard of anyone making up their mind to never take the dog out .. i find it strange.. very strange not to mention descusting.
It´s not natural.
and yes if someones so lazy that they cant be bothered to take the dog out then they have no right to have a dog.
and i dont always bash ppl .. i ve written plenty of non judgemental things here.. but i have to be able to express my views, even if you think im being a b..ch

even the person that started this thread is saying she thinks this is wrong..

rocco&quiras mama said:
i´ve never heard of anyone making up their mind to never take the dog out .. i find it strange.. very strange not to mention descusting.
It´s not natural.
and yes if someones so lazy that they cant be bothered to take the dog out then they have no right to have a dog.
and i dont always bash ppl .. i ve written plenty of non judgemental things here.. but i have to be able to express my views, even if you think im being a b..ch

even the person that started this thread is saying she thinks this is wrong..
The question is.... what do you know about the situation. The only I thing can clearly get is that the daughter wanted to teach the dog to go inside. That is not a unique situation, especially for small dogs. If you can successfully teach a dog to go inside in an acceptable place, it is better for the dog because he can go anytime he pleases. Teaching them to go outside is an convenience for the humans, not the dogs.

It also does sound as if perhaps the daughter is a little lax in taking care of the dog. but it is not all clear what the situation is. She may very well shower the dog with love. Yet you immediately judge her and tell her to get rid of the dog.

Personally, I think you could use a little training on how to interact in the human world.

Becca_

chowchow
She's really not a bad pet owner. Yes she tried to train him to potty on pads inside. I dont believe it always works and in this case it didnt. She loves Kokomo. She is guilty of knowing I will go to her room everymorning to get him so he can go out with my dogs. She knows on and off thru the day I will go get him and have him go out with my dogs. So she takes that for granted. Then when I'm not home, she's not in the habit of doing it so she forgets. Although, she's getting better at that since I've been getting after her for it.

Kokomo has a good home here with me. He's happy. He has his 2 best friends, he doesnt go hungry he doesnt go without water, he gets lots of play time and lots of love and if ever she cant keep him he will live with me. I just wish I could get him to understand the potty thing! I have never had this kind of trouble. Then again I've never had a small dog like this either. He's getting better, we do sometimes go a day without accidents. Today just really ticked me off when he did that.

Becca_

chowchow
I dont think it's that uncommon for people to pad train a dog or even liter train the small dogs. She lived in an apt at the time, the only place to potty him was in back which had no lights and people from the bar would walk back there. She didnt want to go down there at night by herself and she lived alone. So I understand that. Someone told her instead of taking him outside, just pad train him. It just didnt work well with him. He'd pee on the pad but not poop.

She's not that bad of a person, goodness. Personaly I will never pad train a dog, but thats me. I had a pot belly pig in my house, liter trained her and who would think of a pig using a liter box? When she outgrew liter boxes she learned to go to the back door to tell me she needed out. What she tried to do with Kokomo, it didnt work. Now we are trying to undo that and get him to go outside. AND today the darn guy pooped on my bed, ticked me off and all evening my daughter has been taking kokomo out like clock work.

I think its not an unusual situation for a parent to have to remind their children about responsibility. It comes with the territory especially if they're still a bit on the younger side.

Not everyone is a perfect pet owner, let alone perfect human beings. To me it just sounds like your daughter just needs a little prodding, just like you've been doing. Just like the pups, if you keep on the kids, they eventually get it. :D

Doberluv

but it is not all clear what the situation is
How much more clear does it need to be? It appears that this is an adult child of Beccas, at least old enough to have made a choice of getting herself a dog. Her mother is kind enough to let her daughter live with her. (is this an adult child Becca?) And not only that, but allows her to bring her untrained dog into her house. Becca has grown to like the dog so naturally wants to help. The daughter is not being responsible to take the dog out in the morning, but instead relying on Becca to do that and Becca is enabling her to shirk her duties to her OWN dog.

Whether training the dog to go inside or out isn't the issue. The issue is that she is NOT training the dog, not doing it right, not being consistant or being careful that the dog doesn't go in inappropriate places. She is not supervising the dog so the dog, because he doesn't know, goes where ever.

Becca agreed to have her daughter and dog in her home. She doesn't have to do this. And now the daugher is leaving the training, at least in part up to her mother. And her mother is frustrated and upset....naturally.

But I cant always be here to work with him, so I need her to help.
Who's dog is this? You need her help? If she needs your help and you're willing, that's very nice. But it sounds like you're allowing yourself to be railroaded if when she is there, she's not taking the dog out when she could, but leaving it for you.

It's crystal clear to me.

Doberluv said:
How much more clear does it need to be? It appears that this is an adult child of Beccas, at least old enough to have made a choice of getting herself a dog. Her mother is kind enough to let her daughter live with her. (is this an adult child Becca?) And not only that, but allows her to bring her untrained dog into her house. Becca has grown to like the dog so naturally wants to help. The daughter is not being responsible to take the dog out in the morning, but instead relying on Becca to do that and Becca is enabling her to shirk her duties to her OWN dog.

Whether training the dog to go inside or out isn't the issue. The issue is that she is NOT training the dog, not doing it right, not being consistant or being careful that the dog doesn't go in inappropriate places. She is not supervising the dog so the dog, because he doesn't know, goes where ever.

Becca agreed to have her daughter and dog in her home. She doesn't have to do this. And now the daugher is leaving the training, at least in part up to her mother. And her mother is frustrated and upset....naturally.

It's crystal clear to me.
Becca cleared it up. And it doesn't sound at all like you are describing. I think we are making too many assumptions about her daughter. It doesn't sound at all like she is ignoring the dog. I think she desereves at least the benefit of the doubt.

Becca_

chowchow
But I'm not giving up on the daughter. She truely does love that dog. The reason I get him in the morning when she's off is because she sleeps later than me and my dogs. Kokomo would sleep in as long as she does but I never want to take chances. My daughter works thru the day so right now 5 days a week I am his main caretaker.

Doberluv said:
Maybe not to you. LOL.

You missed my edit in my quote. LOL.
My thought is, if we're going to be patient with our dogs, why the heck would we not be patient with our children?

bubbatd

Hmmmmmmmm !!! that last statement got me !! Budget... this is not a " child" but an adult off-spring! ( at least I presume she's at least 18 ). Becca, I feel for you.... looks like you've got a 4 legger to train if your 2 legger won't ! What breed and how old is he ?

bubbatd said:
Hmmmmmmmm !!! that last statement got me !! Budget... this is not a " child" but an adult off-spring! ( at least I presume she's at least 18 ). Becca, I feel for you.... looks like you've got a 4 legger to train if your 2 legger won't ! What breed and how old is he ?
Actually we don't know how old she is. But you don't stop supporting your kids when they turn 18!

Granted.... is sounds like she needs to learn some more responsibility.... but how many young adults fit into that category?

Becca_

chowchow
I agree with Budgetsdad. And alot of it is my fault because when animals are here, mine or not, I just take over the care. I treat them as my own. If I'm feeding mine, I feed all. I cant just put mine out to play and not another. That was just as hard on me the 2 weeks Gracie had to kept from Kokomo as it was for her! What I should do is make my daughter (who is a young adult) take 100% responsibility but its not my nature to forget any animal. I cant do that.

Kokomo is a pug pup. He's 6 months old. He is getting better about not having accidents in the house but he doesnt let anyone know when he needs to go out so he has to be watched all the time. Daytimes have been really nice so I'm able to let him spend quite a bit of time outside. Hopefully we'll get this training in his head before winter comes and he doesnt want to be outside. He's a tough one.

Freddie

This happened to me once, but it was my fault because I let my dog sleep with me. He pooped in the bed over night and i ended up rolling over it! Eww, right. He has only done that once though.

Members online

No members online now.