AKC question

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Okay, that makes sense. But then why is the OP asking about registering a dog with a breed club?

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Okay, that makes sense. But then why is the OP asking about registering a dog with a breed club?
He's dealing with a breed that cannot be registered with its breed club (a breed club that DOES offer registration) if it doesn't prove that it can do what it was bred to do, while with AKC, you can register any dog of the breed, regardless of whether it can perform its original purpose.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Oh ok, sorry for the misunderstand! :)
I'm sure it's no problem! ;) I just find the concept interesting because I have a breed where the majority have no working ability any more and I'd be interested to see more stringent requirements in registration ...

Pops2

the TTB trips me out because quite frankly on the photos I've seen on the AKC website, I can't tell them from a plott ;) I have nothing to really add to this except that I am mildly annoyed between the change of standards between UKC and AKC for my breed... AKC makes their height guidelines smaller (I like a big hound) and accepts black and buckskin; UKC says "striped effect". Oh well...
the buckskin thing & the size are two things the AKC got right. the original Plott family dogs weren't as big as they are now (40-60#) & the buckskin color was there all along at least as far back as Mont & maybe back to Jonathon. also leopard spotted (none are known to have been born since the 1980s) was originally in the breed. the Plott breed experienced several outcrosses for multiple reasons but mainly high inbreeding coefficient causing burnout & reduced bear, wolf & cat populations required a colder nose than what the breed had at the time. the Plott family added Blevins hound blood into their line by way of the Denton family which were the first known to make this cross. this cross added size, cold nose & solid black dogs. Von Plott crossed bloodhound into his lines bringing in LONG ears & saddle backs along w/ size & cold nose. this is the point where some split occurred between the original cur type & the new hound type. Taylor Crockett added pit bulldog & great dane under the table to bring back the grit that was lost in the hound type.

Members online