Teachers striking

CaliTerp07

If you think teacher only work 9 months a year you really need to do more research on your new profession. If your school only has you with students 5 hours a day then let me know where you are at so I can get my resume out to your HR people (just kidding). Make sure you realize that you will be the lowest paid licensed professional. You will also be the scapegoat for all the failures of the educational system. Student, Parents, unemployment and the general breakdown of the family and society will never be mentioned.
There are 7 50 minute periods a day at my local high school. Teachers teach for 5 of them, and have 2 as "prep" periods. Then they are expected to come in an hour before school started, or stay an hour after school ended to finish up.

So yeah...5 hours a day with students, unless they're doing tutoring or detention or something after school. And you really do get a couple months of completely free time in the summer, if you plan right and you want it. My mother's been a kindergarten teacher for I don't know how long, and my aunt is a high school music/english teacher, and both of them rave about summers off. Sure, there's reading and lesson planning to some extent, but in no way is it 40+ hours a week like the rest of the world works.

And they are only the "lowest paid" if you think the only compensation you get for a job is a paycheck. My idea of total compensation includes salary, sure--but it also includes vacation time, retirement planning, travel time, flexibility, ease of having a family and working full time, level of autonomy, benefits, and the intangible things like feeling good at the end of the day because you made a difference. You don't get that in most professions. If your salary was the only type of payment anyone got for a job, we'd all be corporate attorneys or investment bankers! Very little job satisfaction, zero time off, and no flexibility--but you sure do get rich!

There are no shortage of people wanting to become teachers. And it's not like they lied to us when we applied for teaching school, and told us we'd make 6 figures!

gecko_mom

Cata what?
Isn't it sad when people can only complain about how much money someone is or isn't making? And I love the excuse "well at least they have a job". Nice.

Good for those teachers. Teachers are underappreciated and always blamed when our crappy educational system fails to provide for so many.

As someone with a master's degree in school counseling, I've seen the daily struggles of teachers. You people have no clue. 5 hours a day - you don't see the lesson planning, the administrative meetings, the angry parents, the angry school board. Teaching is one of the most demanding jobs out there. Just because they aren't swinging a hammer doesn't mean it's not tough.

And if we keep relying on the next generation, then we better dang well take care of the people who educate them.

CaliTerp07

As someone with a master's degree in school counseling, I've seen the daily struggles of teachers. You people have no clue. 5 hours a day - you don't see the lesson planning, the administrative meetings, the angry parents, the angry school board. Teaching is one of the most demanding jobs out there. Just because they aren't swinging a hammer doesn't mean it's not tough.
I don't think teaching is EASY--I just think that the benefits extend beyond salary. Underappreciated, definitely. Underpaid, I don't believe as strongly.

And I'm curious what profession you're comparing teaching to when you say it's one of the most demanding. Again, I don't think it's easy--but I can think of a heck of a lot of things it's better than. My current job, for one. Because right now, I can put in 16 hour days regularly (we're currently under mandatory 8am to midnight hours 3 days a week, 8-7 the other two, weekend work as necessary), and come home at the end of the day and not have any idea what i'm working towards, or why it's important. That sucks. It sucks to be emotionally, mentally, and physically tired for no good reason.

Teachers work hard, but it's for a meaningful cause. That right there is payment for a lot of people.

Bottom line is, if they want to strike, that is absolutely their right and good for them for exercising it. Personally though, I am more than willing to be a teacher for teacher's pay.

gecko_mom

Cata what?
I guess it's one of those jobs you have to actually experience to appreciate it's difficulty.

And it's not all sunshine, rainbows, "inspiring the future generation". yaddda yadda yadda. most kids hate school. many parents hated their school experience and make it easy for their kids to hate it too.

You can't even imagine the number of kids who refuse to cooperate on a daily basis. Sit at their desk and refuse to work. Send them to the principal. Get them enrolled in after school help. They don't care. Then they drag the other kids down.

Then guess what? it's the teacher's fault the kids aren't learning. The teacher must not be doing a good job, good thing they only make enough money to barely get by on.

And by the way, most teachers have a second job for summer or teach summer school or coach. There aren't many teachers that just teach - they have to have a 2nd job to get by in today's world. It's sad.

i've worked plenty of jobs before I too became a licensed professional. Teaching wasn't really one of them. But I do think I have a clue. Nobody is saying it isn't "hard" work. But then so are lots of other jobs paying way, way, way less than a 50K a year average and don't have a plush vacation package, good solid retirement package, excellent health care benefits, good longevity, etc.

You don't think the rest of people with jobs have meetings? angry parent's? clients? extra schooling, not done during the summer, but year round on our own dime? you don't think lawyers get blamed for the ills of society, or doctors don't get the ire of the public when things go wrong. How about a simple hair stylist on her feet all day half bent over for 10 hours a day probably paying her own health care, no benefit or retirement package and is going to have a screwed up back, sore feet, and half cocked neck the rest of her life. She's a licensed professional too, and i'm sure she has to deal the pissed of people too, getting the blame for everything wrong in life at times.

No job is without it's drawbacks. they all have them. I just haven't seen any from the teaching profession to make me think it's all that bad. Other than I think you should be able to take a kid out by his ear once and while, but they can't.

Amstaffer

There are 7 50 minute periods a day at my local high school. Teachers teach for 5 of them, and have 2 as "prep" periods. Then they are expected to come in an hour before school started, or stay an hour after school ended to finish up.

So yeah...5 hours a day with students, unless they're doing tutoring or detention or something after school. And you really do get a couple months of completely free time in the summer, if you plan right and you want it. My mother's been a kindergarten teacher for I don't know how long, and my aunt is a high school music/english teacher, and both of them rave about summers off. Sure, there's reading and lesson planning to some extent, but in no way is it 40+ hours a week like the rest of the world works.

And they are only the "lowest paid" if you think the only compensation you get for a job is a paycheck. My idea of total compensation includes salary, sure--but it also includes vacation time, retirement planning, travel time, flexibility, ease of having a family and working full time, level of autonomy, benefits, and the intangible things like feeling good at the end of the day because you made a difference. You don't get that in most professions. If your salary was the only type of payment anyone got for a job, we'd all be corporate attorneys or investment bankers! Very little job satisfaction, zero time off, and no flexibility--but you sure do get rich!

There are no shortage of people wanting to become teachers. And it's not like they lied to us when we applied for teaching school, and told us we'd make 6 figures!
Your school has a pretty sweet schedule for teachers.

Vacation time? Unpaid.....for every ten I work I get paid for 9 and they bank one day to be used to pay me with during "Vacations". Travel Time? not sure what you are talking about there....we don't get paid for traveling around. My wife has a much more flexible schedule than I do. Calling in sick is such a pain in the rear end that even when sick, I rarely do because my students lose a whole day and and the subs allow the students to trash my room.

Job satisfaction? There are times when yes we make a difference but there are also a lot of times when we have a student talk about incest in the family or we see the results of neglect or abuse in the home. We also are attacked physically and mentally more often than almost any job out there. I was a correctional officer for 9yrs and my job as a teacher is much more dangerous....I have scars to prove it. From drunk parents to incompetent people at central office, I often go home less than "content".

Don't get me wrong, I have learned to love my job (first 3yrs were hell) but from what you have said, I think you have a lot to learn about the "benefits".

CaliTerp07

Travel time meaning "time is available to take vacation".

My job gives me however many weeks of vacation each year, but I forfeit 90% of it each year because I'm not allowed to take any days off. I have SO many vacations planned in my head, but every time I ask for a week of in the summer I'm told I can't. I would happily take my time off unpaid, but I'm not allowed to. It's work, or lose my job. Flexible meaning if I want to schedule a doctors appointment for 4:00 in the afternoon, I can do so, as opposed to having to go to the walk in clinic on Sundays for all my general appointments, because that's the only time I can go. Sick days, meaning there is a plan in place when you need to stay home, instead of having to take conference calls from the hospital when you're in a motorcycle accident (like my boss is currently doing).

Part of my naivete comes from currently living in one of the top school districts in the country, academically. Part of it comes from not being broken down by harsh realities yet. But I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It would be sad if no one thought they were going to change the world.

Amstaffer

i've worked plenty of jobs before I too became a licensed professional. Teaching wasn't really one of them. But I do think I have a clue. Nobody is saying it isn't "hard" work. But then so are lots of other jobs paying way, way, way less than a 50K a year average and don't have a plush vacation package, good solid retirement package, excellent health care benefits, good longevity, etc.

You don't think the rest of people with jobs have meetings? angry parent's? clients? extra schooling, not done during the summer, but year round on our own dime? you don't think lawyers get blamed for the ills of society, or doctors don't get the ire of the public when things go wrong. .
When I talk about licensed professional, I am talking someone that requires 5-6 years of college and maintain a professional license with the State.

The head janitor at our school makes more than I do. I took a pay cut when I left corrections to become a teacher.

When the guy comes in that is 350lbs with 300 cholesterol and fails a stress test ......society doesn't blame the Doctor.

When a student misses three days a week and refuses to do any home work and smokes his lunch then score poorly on the Standardize tests who do they blame? ....yep the teacher.

to the other post about waiting lines for teachers?

Depends on subject....Math, Science and technology teachers are in huge demand. We often have to hire uncertified teachers because we can hire anyone else.

Also....don't forget teachers often have 2-3 hours of homework to do every night.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I don't blame the teachers persay ... but I have had my fair share of teachers who were jaded and didn't want to do the job anymore and that's not someone you want teaching your kids. but I've also had my share of WONDERFUL teachers. wish there were a way to pay the GREAT teachers more and the teachers who just don't give a crap anymore less in an effective way but without regular unscheduled class visits there really isn't anyway to really enforce that

and while I respect teachers for what they do... this thread again makes me glad that at this point we have the means and the opportunity to homeschool Hannah with a GREAT homeschooling community. There is just so much corruption in the public school system and it's not with the teachers.

Amstaffer

I don't blame the teachers persay ... but I have had my fair share of teachers who were jaded and didn't want to do the job anymore and that's not someone you want teaching your kids. but I've also had my share of WONDERFUL teachers. wish there were a way to pay the GREAT teachers more and the teachers who just don't give a crap anymore less in an effective way but without regular unscheduled class visits there really isn't anyway to really enforce that

and while I respect teachers for what they do... this thread again makes me glad that at this point we have the means and the opportunity to homeschool Hannah with a GREAT homeschooling community. There is just so much corruption in the public school system and it's not with the teachers.
I haven't seen much corruption but I have seen a lot of State and Federal laws that handcuff school officials from keeping a safe and orderly environment for learning. Laws that were meant to protect cognitively impair students are now being used to protect gang bangers and thugs from suspension.....no matter the offense. Of course that is another thread for another time.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I haven't seen much corruption but I have seen a lot of State and Federal laws that handcuff school officials from keeping a safe and orderly environment for learning. Laws that were meant to protect cognitively impair students are now being used to protect gang bangers and thugs from suspension.....no matter the offense. Of course that is another thread for another time.
OK... well if that is not corruption then I guess I used the wrong word.

the system is not working for the teachers or the students.

Too many students to one teacher, limiting teachers to what they think "needs to be taught" especially in history... the side they want to be told and YES that does happen.

Higher school taxes for citizens but no new supplies and YES that is happening here right now... our school taxes went up and the reason? a NEW football stadium. sports more important than learning and grades.

so yeah ok corruption was the wrong word but it is so DYSFUNCTIONAL and just getting WORSE that I don't see how any student or teacher can survive it unscathed and without being completely jaded.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Too many students to one teacher, limiting teachers to what they think "needs to be taught" especially in history... the side they want to be told and YES that does happen.
You should see what they've allegedly enacted in my province. Any mention of religion or sexuality or evolution or any sort of discussion that could be twisted into religion, sexuality or anything about beliefs has to have a permission form sent home to the parent (even in high school) and the parents can pull the students from the lesson and any test without academic repercussion. Any teacher that violates this gets put in front of a human rights counsel and tried.

That's corruption... The whole point of learning is to learn a broad spectrum to feed the brain and ultimately the child and let them make their own educated decisions eventually.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I agree children need a broad spectrum to learn and need to be exposed to things that people might think are "wrong" but education is key. which is another reason we are planning to homeschool Hannah. she is SO restricted by OUR faith and any faith SHE chooses that how can she learn it in school and while I TOTALLY believe in parents being the medium for those things... public school doesn't allow the expression in the students to practice their faiths. or sex for that matter. they have to hide it and be secretive and no wonder kids aren't comfortable talking to anyone... too may parents won't talk about it...s chools are forbidden from it.

and I DO believe in parents having say over what their children are exposed to but if you send them to public school then you are subject to their teachings and if you don't complete the lesson then they fail it period.

and unfortunately public school is prohibited from providing any kind of broad spectrum anymore. they have to cater to the lowest common denominator and go with that and they have to follow the guidelines set for them by the government. or else

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I agree children need a broad spectrum to learn and need to be exposed to things that people might think are "wrong" but education is key. which is another reason we are planning to homeschool Hannah. she is SO restricted by OUR faith and any faith SHE chooses that how can she learn it in school and while I TOTALLY believe in parents being the medium for those things... public school doesn't allow the expression in the students to practice their faiths. or sex for that matter. they have to hide it and be secretive and no wonder kids aren't comfortable talking to anyone... too may parents won't talk about it...s chools are forbidden from it.

and I DO believe in parents having say over what their children are exposed to but if you send them to public school then you are subject to their teachings and if you don't complete the lesson then they fail it period.

and unfortunately public school is prohibited from providing any kind of broad spectrum anymore. they have to cater to the lowest common denominator and go with that and they have to follow the guidelines set for them by the government. or else
I've never been in a public school so i don't know 100% what you're talking about, but i went to catholic school and it's like taking 100% no religion to 100% Catholicism involved in everything. Birth control wasn't allowed to be taught in our sex ed, just abstinence (which of course works, but it not something that should be taught as an only thing) and natural family planning (which isn't responsible to teach to teenagers that likely will not follow it properly at all). I know that it's a catholic school but religion classes got to the point where instead of enlightening about all religions which was supposed to be the topic of grade 12, it ended up being the teacher bashing all other faiths besides catholicism and going to the point of telling us that we'd all go to hell if we chose anything other than to be catholic (i'm not catholic). When people think sex is forbidden in Public schools, catholic schools are much worse. A girl i know from high school got a 4 day suspension for kissing her girlfriend goodbye in the hallway while there were like 5 or 6 hetero couples macking it up pretty much going to the point before they rip their clothes off and copulate like a bunch of wild animals on the cafeteria tables.

Back on topic:
I've also been through a couple teacher strikes, one lasted 2 months when i was in grade 6. Things have gotten worse and worse for teachers up here too especially in the separate division, teachers are getting cut all over the place. My high school had 3 principals 4 secretaries, and a bunch of other random other administrators for a school of only about 1000 kids yet teachers were getting cut all over the board. It's ridiculous
ETA: And i find it ridiculous that the sports teams can get all this extra funding but our textbooks are outdated and one particular text has soviet union where Russia was supposed to be and it was used for current geography and not history. Instead of allowing for fund raising for new books and maps and supplies for learning, the school put a fund raiser on to buy a taxidermy cougar... Yeah... Really gonna help the school...

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
I don't think teaching is EASY--I just think that the benefits extend beyond salary. Underappreciated, definitely. Underpaid, I don't believe as strongly.
What other benefits do they get, exactly? They get stuff insured by the state (since they're a state employee) but they could get that at any other state job.

And whoever was talking about the hours working, yah they 'only' work from 8 to 3, but then they go home and grade papers, make lesson plans, put together project examples, worksheets, etc. And this is after they leave school (they sure as hell don't leave at 3, closer to 5). And they get oooh about 30 minutes for their teacher office hour things, which also coincides with their lunch period, which also coincides with their parent conference hours. So don't say "but they get time for that stuff at school!"

Amstaffer

You should see what they've allegedly enacted in my province. Any mention of religion or sexuality or evolution or any sort of discussion that could be twisted into religion, sexuality or anything about beliefs has to have a permission form sent home to the parent (even in high school) and the parents can pull the students from the lesson and any test without academic repercussion. Any teacher that violates this gets put in front of a human rights counsel and tried.

That's corruption... The whole point of learning is to learn a broad spectrum to feed the brain and ultimately the child and let them make their own educated decisions eventually.
Thats scary....how do they teach world geography? A big part of human culture is religion. Talk about perpetuating ignorance :yikes:

Members online