Teaching puppy to jump/stand on 2 legs v. pic

oriondw

user not active
BigDog2191 said:
Well, put the treat in front of his face-- and move it higher, higher, and a little more past him-- until he does it-- say the command and praise him.

Some dogs aren't physically capable of doing it though.

Took me a while to get him to know the command. Started with a stick at first, then moved toward a treat :D

M

Manchesters

Forget the standing on the hind legs. Dogs like this are very prone to hip problems, and you don't want to do anything to excacerbate the problem. Teach him to "say How Do You Do" where he offers you or anyone else a paw from a distance. You hold the treat over his head, tell him "SAY HOW DO YOU DO" and tap his toes with your foot. When he picks his foot up to move it away tell him what a good boy he is. My Whippets picked it up really quickly.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Gus can stand on two hind legs, plus if he is standing on his hinds and you say "Hup" he jumps up into the air! Soooo funny! lol! But he is the dancing wonder dog ;) I have taught him to stand on his hinds and boogie to "Hound dog" :D I KNOW! I have far too much time on my hands!!
But as Manchesters rightly said, it is not wise to do it often as these big boys can do themselves an injury. Luckily Gus is on the smaller, lighter side of the big dog spec.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
BigDog2191 said:
Gustav, I swear, I hear so much good about Gus the wonder dog-- he should be on Pet Star!
He has a big enough ego to be on the telly! ;) :D

oriondw

user not active
Manchesters said:
Forget the standing on the hind legs. Dogs like this are very prone to hip problems, and you don't want to do anything to excacerbate the problem. Teach him to "say How Do You Do" where he offers you or anyone else a paw from a distance. You hold the treat over his head, tell him "SAY HOW DO YOU DO" and tap his toes with your foot. When he picks his foot up to move it away tell him what a good boy he is. My Whippets picked it up really quickly.

Cant say I do it very often :)

;)

King has always done this, all on his own. I really wish I could get the "stand up and run on two legs" thing he does on tape.

He's sitting normally, then the front legs come up and he sits up, then he "stands up" on his back legs (he seems to do this very easily, it's spooky smooth, no shaking legs), kind of arches his back, and runs through the house with his front legs never touching the floor until he wants to stop. Think of the Velociraptor from the Jurrasic Park movies, it's very close. He looks totally insane doing it, there's a huge grin on his face.
That grin is funny enough as it is.

My friend was over and we were watching a movie on my new (just after they came out) DVD player. King was messing with Molly, as usual, and she ran down the hall to get her ball, and King launched himself and ran down the hall on two legs and slammed her into the wall at the end (he didn't hurt her, they do it to each other all the time). My friend looks at me and says, "What the hell was that!!?" I answered, "Just King being crazy". "No!, how did he run on two legs like that??", "I've never seen anything like it before, actually, I didn't know they could do it at all!" He does it about 3-5 times a month. The next door neighbors had a party yesterday, and he did it when their dog jumped over the fence into our yard, and got a huge reaction, lots of "WHOAHH!!" "I never saw a dog do that before!"

I have spent hours with the video camera, waiting and waiting and he just wont do it. One time, I no more than gave up, and just turned the camcorder off, and he goes and does it.
My camcorder takes about 15 seconds to fire up, so I got nothing. That's the closest I have ever came to getting it on tape. My video camera died a while back, and so I'm doubtful I will ever get it.

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
Gustav said:
He has a big enough ego to be on the telly! ;) :D
Oh this is JUST what Gus needs...encouragement :rolleyes: ! Instead of sandwiches he'll start demanding filet mingnon for his little song and dance routine.Fishermen and fine diners alike, beware the irresistable dancing doggie! :D

Aw that is so cute!!

Colby has been doing this since she was a puppy - we have a pic of her sitting with her paws in the air by the dinner table. She is such a little pig! She can also stand up on her back legs and walk (if she has something to put her paws on). It's really cute.

Staff online

Members online