5 years ago today !

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
I have to ask What where you doing 5 years ago today?

I was sitting in a gas station parking lot crammed into an over loaded car , that was hot and filled with cranky kids and a wet dog.
We where part of a caravan of 4 vehicles running from that monster bitch katrina. It was the beginning of a new era for me and my family and everyone I know.

Funny how something will be pivotal in your life and you can remember it VIVIDLY years later.

Has anything like that ever happened to you? ow and can you remember what you where doing back then.

I can remember the exact second when the huge black out in North America happened. Was sitting at a stop light driving a hour north to a friends new house. When all the lights started flashing, I figured it was just a small power outage at that location, as I continued to drive, I noticed everything was out. Finally relized it was more then a small outage, as my whole town and the next 2 were all out. that was the start of 3 days of darkness.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
crazy huh , that second is right there huh. i feel the same way ,

i have another one , when i found out my granny had died back in feburary , i cant still remember the physical feeling of the world crashing in , the spinning head and the gutwrenching feeling of NO!

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
The only major world event type thing I can remember exactly what I was doing when I found out was 9/11. DH (he was my fiance then) was moving out of his apartment into my parents house with me. We were in separate cars making a trip back to his apartment to get more boxes when they said on the radio that a plane crashed into none of the buildings of the World Trade Center. I remember pulling up next to DH at a stop light and telling him to turn on the radio, something crazy was happening. It was early on so they had thought that it was an accident at first, then the second plane hit. The first tower fell while I was listening to it unfold on the radio in the car. We got to his apartment and turned on CNN and saw the second tower fall.....

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Oh I remember the blackout lol. I was home with my dad, little bro and my boyfriend at the time. we were just watching tv and suddenly all the lights were out.

we waited a bit and they didn't come back on so we decided to go and play mini golf lol. that's when we found out that EVERYTHING was out.

then I remember when our power came back on at 3 am that night... and ALL the lights came on lol. and I ALSO remember we were the ONLY Tim Hortons in all of London that had power and was open the next day. talk about a NIGHTMARE of a day

but 5 years ago today I can't remember specifically. I know I was a newly wed. we had just gotten married on the 22nd.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
i remember the 9/11 also , waking up to my stepmom screaming and then staring at the tv in total shock for hours and realizing my world was no longer safe as it was when i went to bed.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I remember 9/11 too. I was in Mr Mordon's (what a perv) 3rd period study hall in middle school.

GipsyQueen

5 years ago today I was celebrating my mom's 37th birthday :) We were at my grandparents and had just moved from the US to Germany. We were also following the news updates on Katrina.

I remember 9/11 pretty vividly, I think most people do though. I remember my grandma calling us (I didnt have school because of parent teacher confrences) paniced, because my dad had flown from Boston to LA with AA a day before. She was worried that she had gotten the date wrong. My mom and i were both still asleep when she called us and had no idea what was going on. We called my dad like 5 minutes after calming my grandma down, who had no idea what was going on either.
I remember him trying to get home to us, because he couldn't fly. So he and some others that were stuck in LA drove all the way back to rhode Island.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
on 9/11 I was working at burger king and had no idea what was going on until some customers came in and told us what happened. then we turned on our little tv in the backroom and saw it was true.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
On 9/11 i was getting ready for school and watching cartoons on TV and then BAM it happened, no more cartoons on. Then at school they made us watch CNN all morning and sent us home for the afternoon... i didn't know WHY they made fourth graders watch that though.

5 years ago today though? i can't remember what happened.

But as for memorable dates? The day grandpa died is still fresh in my mind and it's been almost a year. Same with the day that Izzie got slashed by Jersey and that was a year and a half ago.

ACooper

I remember 9/11 in full detail. I was watching it unfurl on the TV at a hospital in Bowling Green Kentucky. My mom was there having a quadruple bypass, had already come through the surgery and they had her sitting up in ICU along with all the OTHER heart patients..........I thought it was very strange they would have it tuned in for those 5-6 people with SERIOUS heart issues! :eek:

I also remember in complete detail the huge blizzard of 1978.......and I was only 10 years old! I remember our house and how high the snow was, I remember tunneling a trail to the garage and dog house........and best of all, I remember school being closed for nearly 2 weeks! WOOT! LOL, but yes, I agree how awing it is that those pivotal moments are etched into our brain like it was last week :)

Of course there are various other personal memories that are etched as well like the birth of your child, a wedding day, or anything personally tragic.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
We wathched 9/11 in classes. I was in grade 10. Found out what happened in class.

Because of 9/11 the next TWO years our school trips to Europe were cancelled.

ACooper

Because of 9/11 the next TWO years our school trips to Europe were cancelled.
Hey, because of 9/11 and the utter panic it caused, our school system canceled EVERY field trip as well........even LOCAL ones to the fish hatchery and stuff like that! :confused:

It was awful, my oldest son had gotten to go to chicago zoo on the train, camp tecumsah overnight, and a slue of other places all before he was out of elementary school! My girls were really looking forward to all the trips and things starting in 4th-5th grade but they were all yanked away (or at least that is the excuse they used) and they have never been reinstated as part of the curriculum :(

lizzybeth727

Five years ago today I had just graduated with my degree in Social Work, and was sitting in a laundrmat debating about whether to take a couple weeks off of work and go to Houston and help all the evacuees.

I never did go. One of my biggest regrets. :(

I'd also never been to New Orleans, and frankly didn't really understand why everyone was so in love with the city. I mean the residents, obviously, was a different story, it's their home. My friend finally drug me there on vacation about 1 1/2 years after the storm, and I've gone back almost every summer since. I think I'm addicted to the city. :D I'm hoping to go again for Thanksgiving this year.

Bailey08

I absolutely remember 5 years ago today. It was so overwhelmingly sad and scary.

9/11 was also horrifying. I was glued to the coverage. They showed so many terrible things before they decided to censor was was shown. I remember the horrifying feeling of wondering what was coming next....

I also remember Columbine and exactly where I was when I found out. It was so bizarre that at first I didn't think it was really happening.

darkchild16

We are Home.
I was home watching the news. It was close enough to affect my family and we knew it was bad so mom let us stay home since she knew we couldnt concentrate in school.

9/11 I was on my way to school. Noticed at the morning assembly the school was EMPTY and people kept leaving every few minutes. Asked my friend what was going on and she told me. I was listening to the prizes we would win for the fundraiser.

When Charley hit I was in my living room with our entire house closed up and the storm radio on talking to my dad on the phone letting him know we were safe that we only were getting tropical storm winds then and that a tree did fall on our roof but it was only the porch.

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Our stupid school decided not to let students watch one of the most important events of our era. Instead, school was to carry on like normal and students were, for the most part, left in the dark, except a few of us snuck out and left or went to the computer lab and looked to see what was going on through the internet.

I remember having just heard about it going to Band, then I expected we'd watch it in band but no, the director just went "I'm sure you've heard that something bad has happened, now take out "Into the Storm" (badass song by the way) and we'll start at measure 70." What a ****ing dumbass.

As for 5 years ago, it was rather non-eventful. Was in my freshman year of college and I helped accommodate some Katrina refugees and some Rita refugees a bit later (everyone forgets about Rita...).

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
(everyone forgets about Rita...).

I agree , The first place I stayed for 2 days after was in beaumont . We landed right outside tyler for 3 weeks after. The people we stayed with in beaumont came and stayed with us in tyler for rita , before they went on to illionis.

they joked withus that our hurricane juju rubbed off on them. lol

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Robert W. Smith's "Into the Storm"??
The very one. I loved that song. Still have it on my computer some where.

At one point in time I switched from the trumpet to the French Horn since we needed them and was disappointed because, for hte most part, horn parts are basically bass lines: extremely boring.

We get wicked fun parts and a solo (the quiet part) in Into the Storm though.

Also, the last part where the percussion line is just noted as "Played Chaotically". :D We hit high F and just hold it for as long and loud as we can. Good times, good times.

Members online

No members online now.