..In which the vet confides in me that Happy is fat, and heretofore, earns cheese.

Crowsfeet

facetious.
Little story.
For the past year I've been very wishy washy about Happy's weight. He's a round furry guy, and to me it's honestly difficult to tell what's fur and what isn't(I think Zoom has mentioned this about Sawyer before- ..they're fuzzy Aussies!) In the good days(last year), he weighed a decent(ish) 60 lbs.. which from what I've read, is really the largest these dogs are supposed to be :( I don't really want to disclose what he weighs now. But we've started on it immediately, and we're working on it until it isn't an issue anymore.

But the good news is, I think we may have found our vet. She was knowledgeable without being a lecturer, and sweet. Their office did have items for sale, but the majority were locally made pet treats or at least items marketed with thought. She asked about Happy's background history, took profile pictures of him(which you guys will get to see in a minute here) and we worked out a calorie plan for him. And she patiently answered my questions and didn't really push any procedures or pressure anything really. What's really nice, is a lot of procedures and costs are listed via the website(Mt. Tabor Veterinary Care), and they seem really transparent, which is comforting.. and their prices are at least average. The vet also wrote me a sincere and thoughtful follow up email, and they're allowing me to use their doggy scale every two weeks so I can track Hap's weight :)

Per usual, Happy was very sweet and patient throughout the ordeal. While the techs snapped his photos, they bribed him with cheese-whiz(not to be confused with actual cheese :p), and told me he could start his diet tomorrow :rolleyes:

But, I thought I would just like to post a little tonight. Also, any breed guesses are welcome. I know these pictures aren't really the best for it, so maybe I can post some more definitive pictures later. When we first received his papers(which are long, long lost :eek:), he was written as an ACD... which is clearly not right. At least not entirely. Eventually I found pictures of Australian Shepherds online, and researched the breed, and they really seemed to sync with his behavior and personality.. and his tail is bobbed/docked. At the core, it doesn't matter to me, but I love'em so much I'd love to know what he just might be, or what you guys think.

Here is my furry, fat man.

Please do not mock.

..O! 'CHEESE THERE.

CaliTerp07

What a cutie! The name of the dog on Seventh Heaven was Happy, and I always thought that was a great dog name!

I'm glad you've found a vet that you mesh with. It's stressful to find professionals (vets, doctors, dentists, anything) that you like and trust!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Mary was chubby once..My JIm insulted her by called her the pin headed fat woman.:( Too many teens slipping her goodies. We took her down bit by bit and upped her exercise. Your Happy will be slender in no time flat. It really doesn't take long at all. Pepper is going to be a plumper if this weather doesnt' warm up soon. IT's jus tooooooo cold for me out there!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I do a daily hands-on check of Sawyer, just because he is so darn hairy! We've been both battling some winter weight, so I feel your pain.

Glad you found a vet you like! I still haven't done that. Probably should fix that...

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
YOu have to have a vet you believe in. I have met horrid awful people (one who's daughter told me he had to cut the collar out of his own dog's neck) not a man I would take anything to. I quit using one because Victor growled at him. If tht isn't testitment that it's time for a change I dont' know what is. Zoomer found me an awesome vet. He doens't have much time for you, but it doesn't matter. He's good, he charges fairly and except for one thing I wish he would have done differently, i have been pleased.

Crowsfeet

facetious.
Oh he's adorable!
What a cutie! The name of the dog on Seventh Heaven was Happy, and I always thought that was a great dog name!

I'm glad you've found a vet that you mesh with. It's stressful to find professionals (vets, doctors, dentists, anything) that you like and trust!
Thanks Guys :D I think he's pretty handsome myself. Though I frequently tease him about how funny looking he is.

Mary was chubby once..My JIm insulted her by called her the pin headed fat woman.:( Too many teens slipping her goodies. We took her down bit by bit and upped her exercise. Your Happy will be slender in no time flat. It really doesn't take long at all. Pepper is going to be a plumper if this weather doesnt' warm up soon. IT's jus tooooooo cold for me out there!
I bet Mary was a beautiful, plump little woman regardless :p And the goodies! -they were likely our biggest obstacle.. I live with six people, who often have guests, between the ages of 21 and 23 :eek: And who doesn't want to feed the cute chubby puppy :rolleyes: Luckily I've made it known to everyone that people treats are out. It should help that I'm monitoring his food now, and actually giving him the right amount for his right weight. Sheesh :p Though I'm sure it's just a combination of appropriate diet, appropriate exercise, and some unforeseen/confusing winter weight.

I do a daily hands-on check of Sawyer, just because he is so darn hairy! We've been both battling some winter weight, so I feel your pain.

Glad you found a vet you like! I still haven't done that. Probably should fix that...
Finding a vet can be so hard! Especially if you're fickle and scrutinizing.. So many offices are trying to sell you Science Diet/Iams, and I was so interested in finding a vet that was interested in Happy and I as individuals as opposed to clients and time slots. After calling around with a list of questions, going in to a wellness exam only to find that the vet treats the both of you like someone in line at the cash register can be pretty disheartening. I'm really thankful, it only took a year :rolleyes:

YOu have to have a vet you believe in. I have met horrid awful people (one who's daughter told me he had to cut the collar out of his own dog's neck) not a man I would take anything to. I quit using one because Victor growled at him. If tht isn't testitment that it's time for a change I dont' know what is. Zoomer found me an awesome vet. He doens't have much time for you, but it doesn't matter. He's good, he charges fairly and except for one thing I wish he would have done differently, i have been pleased.
So far I feel good about believing in the vet I found.. you're definitely right, Smkie :)
It's hard to find people you can sincerely deem as "professional". It's similar to issues with teachers or police officers, or any societal role that's also labeled as a 'career'. Teachers who don't like children probably shouldn't be around them, police officers who are only trying to enable a sense of power probably shouldn't have any, and veterinarians who cannot clearly comprehend animal welfare/behavior should be looking for something else to do.. etc. etc. etc.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Happy is a recycled name in my family... Happy was our dog growing up, Happy is one of my sister's dogs now, and I'll have a Happy of my own eventually... I just love the name. It's sentimental to me, LOL.

I have to constantly do a hands-on check with Auggie too. He can get overweight pretty quickly if he's being slipped too many treats, and he's all fluff too. The good news is that once you get him to a weight you like, you learn really quickly JUST what that looks like! I can tell when Auggie is 15 pounds and when he's 16 just by putting my hands on him, LOL.

M

MyHorseMyRules

Raja is not all fluff, and we still had a bit of winter weight sneak up on us. lol No worries. Happy will be slim in no time! He sure is a handsome boy!

Crowsfeet

facetious.
Thanks for all the encouragement guys! We're about to go on a walk right now :) Every little bit helps.

"
Happy is a recycled name in my family... Happy was our dog growing up, Happy is one of my sister's dogs now, and I'll have a Happy of my own eventually... I just love the name. It's sentimental to me, LOL.

I have to constantly do a hands-on check with Auggie too. He can get overweight pretty quickly if he's being slipped too many treats, and he's all fluff too. The good news is that once you get him to a weight you like, you learn really quickly JUST what that looks like! I can tell when Auggie is 15 pounds and when he's 16 just by putting my hands on him, LOL.
I love the name too. I called him Happy, so that is what he would be :p

To notice a pound's difference would be crazy! And Auggie looks somehow even fluffier than Happy and Sawyer. Which is also amazing.

Grab

Having a lot of fluffy dogs, I'm a stickler for feeling through the fluff:) I make sure I can feel ribs, since I'm obviously not going to see and sort of waist on a Chow:p

Bailey08

Happy is a cutie!!

Bailey recently put on a few, too. I think it's because I keep feeding him the free range lamb I bought for him because it has taken over my darn freezer! Anyway, we're now cutting down on food and treats in our house, too. He's a little sad. ;)

Taqroy

Finding a vet can be so hard! Especially if you're fickle and scrutinizing.. So many offices are trying to sell you Science Diet/Iams, and I was so interested in finding a vet that was interested in Happy and I as individuals as opposed to clients and time slots. After calling around with a list of questions, going in to a wellness exam only to find that the vet treats the both of you like someone in line at the cash register can be pretty disheartening. I'm really thankful, it only took a year :rolleyes:

If you don't mind me asking, what questions did you have for the vet? I'm going to have to get a new vet here soon and I have no idea what kind of questions to ask.

And good luck with the weight loss! Murphy finally lost what I refer to as his "baby" weight (what he added by sneaking puppy food when I wasn't looking!)

Members online

No members online now.