Pesky allergies!

Cidney

Scooter has become obsessed with licking the inside of his front paw pads to the point where there is redness. I took him to the vet and she of course said "allergies" and prescribed medication. The pills arent working and he seems to not be his regular obnoxious happy self and his appetite has increased. I free feed his hard food but he seems to always be at his food bowls since taking the medication to the point I now have to pick up the bowl of food early in the evening. I put him in the tub and washed his paws with warm water, thought shampoo might bother his paws since they are already red and that seemed to help, any one have any ideas what I can use to wash his paws with that might help? I used a little of hydrogene perioxide but not alot.

What about some of that Aveeno Oatmeal bath? I've used that for my kids when they were rashy. It seems to be very soothing. Also..putting just plain rolled oats in a sock in their bath seems to help also.

Get some Tea Tree Oil and dilute it in some Neutrogena unscented oil and apply it into the area between the pads. It will kill fungus.

If the meds he's on are prednisone or some other steroid (which is usually what vets treat 'allergies' with) you need to get him off of them ASAP. The do have all sorts of long term side effects, tumors being the most common.

poodlesmom

Has Skooter been doing this for a long time or is it a relatively new problem? If it is fairly new you try to figure out what is different that is causing it - new carpeting, dog bed, cleaning solutions, dog food, dog treat, something outside such as a ground treatment.

When Farley was a pup & had alot of problems with allergies, I also used an oatmeal shampoo to help relieve the itchiness.

I agree with Renee's post that if he is on a steroid it is something that shouldn't be used unless absolutely necessary as it can cause it's own set of problems. Now when Farley has a flare-up his vet prescribed Benadryl to help with the symptoms.

Good luck & I hope Skooter is better soon.

Good thoughts, Poodlesmom. My thinking was that usually though, if it's an allergic reaction to something external the itching and any inflamation/redness would be on an external area, like the chest, that came into direct contact with the irritant. Being in between the toes I'm really inclined to think it's some sort of fungal type of problem; it's in an area that's dark, warm and moist.

Cidney

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and I am going to try them! I stopped giving Scooter those darn pills two days ago and I can already tell he is back to his regular happy obnoxious self. I can tell when something isnt right when he isnt quaking his duck a hundred million times and not smiling when that darn duck isnt in his mouth. I think he is picking up a contact allergy from the grass outside, we may have heavy pollen at this time of the year in Texas. Just about everyone I know is on allergy medication.

Cidney said:
I used a little of hydrogene perioxide but not alot.
Did you dilute it? Being so strong if it must be used it should be diluted otherwise it will damage new skin cells trying to reform, and will take ages to recover.

Have you tried any of the dry mixed formulated for allergies? Hoofa suffers from extremely sensitive skin and we have just switched to Burns, and it seems to be working well.

Members online

No members online now.