Question about becoming a dog trainer

Rise

prick ear'd dogs
I was inside the store Petco with my dog Pandora and I had her ona two foot leash but while carrying 2 40lbs of dog food I couldn't hold her leash and she stayed almost in a perfect heel all the way to the register completely ignoring kids, other dogs, etc...

The manager came up to me and helped me with the food and commented on how well my dog was focused on me and staying right with me. She told me she was looking to hire another dog trainer as one of their main trainers has serious medical conditions that will prevent him from coming into work for a long while.

So, she asked if I was interested. I'm currently a department manager at a major retail store (office depot) but I've always wanted to work with dogs. She said she would work around my schedule with office depot and that they pay their employees while we go through their training.

My question is, has anyone attended any of their classes? Would this be a good place to start with dog training or is it basically like they hire anyone kind of thing. I had Pandora go to the first beginner class at petsmart just for socialization. She had to go through parvo treatment and mange as a pup, so she didnt get to mingle with other puppies all that much, so that class really helped.

I dont know that the trainer knew anything I didn't know, but it just helped being around the other dogs.

So, i'm interested in doing it and I believe I would love it. I'm just not too sure about their training program. I haven't heard much about it. She said I can watch some classes at another petco in the city next to the one I live in if I wanted to first, and I might do that.

I was just curious if anyone here had any experience.

Falconara

Gene Junkie
If you would like to do it, I would say go for it. I've really enjoyed my time training with my boss.

I will say though -- keep in mind that as a class trainer you spend alot more time on the humans and alot less time on the dogs....it can be frustrating, funny, and downright nonsensical at times....but it is what it is.

~Cate

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
What kind of training have they offered to give you? Do you go in, as is, without any advice/guidance/supervision?

I do know a girl who worked as a trainer at Petsmart, and I felt bad for all of the people/dogs in her class. She basically had very little knowledge, most of it negative reinforcement and some of it based on myths, and her supervisors urged her to sell as many "training tools" (chokers, pinch collars, head halters, etc, etc) as possible. And her training was a one-day, basic little course.

I would probably take a job as a trainer at Petco, if there was some kind of program to go through that ensures trainers have at least basic knowledge of dog behavior and positive reinforcement training, and as long as I was not forced to sell cruddy training collars in class. I think it would be GREAT if some one who was actually a good trainer who cared about dogs was teaching those classes... and, if you're worried about how being a Petco trainer would look on your resume, I doubt that any one would judge you. I think what is more important is how you handle the classes, and how you instruct, rather than who you work for.

Members online

No members online now.