Shows That Make You Geek Out

Paviche

Duuuuude.
So I stuck it out with Doctor Who and it's growing on me. I'm definitely not a super fan or anything and don't see that happening, but it's enjoyable. I still really really really hate Rose though. So ready for her to be gone. And her mom. And Mickey. lol okay so I like the Doctor and the supporting and short term cast, I guess.

JacksonsMom

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Doctor Who/Torchwood
Sherlock
Firefly
Buffy

I haven't really picked up a new series in a while, though after this thread and Pinterest, I guess Supernatural is up.

Picklepaige

I can't decide if I want to try GoT or not. I FEEL like I'm not going to like it... but I don't know, I could be totally wrong. Is it a similar feel to Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc (because I'm not a big fan of those?)
People compare it to Lord of the Rings, but I don't find it to be similar at all. Yes, it's in the "medieval fantasy" genre, but it really doesn't "feel" like a fantasy, to me at least.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Here's another GoT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Z...ew-vl&list=PLdyYtz46Nolb1ovYhSOnbIYFktNHfZUkR

It's pretty good (better than the last IMO) but I still think the 1st S3 trailer was the best.
I feel like that music totally didn't go with the trailer or the show.

I love LOTR and HP so might be the wrong person to ask but I also love GoT.

It's different. A lot bleaker and more graphic. Much less on the 'magic' aspect of it though it seems to increase as time goes on. Tolkien is great but it's also very archetypal as far as characters go. GoT isn't like that. It's very political, the characters are very complex. There's not always a 'good guy' or a 'bad guy'. HP and LOTR is pretty straightforward: Good guys go fight 'Evil'. And evil is evil because... it's evil. In HP and LOTR you pretty well know good will triumph. In GoT stakes feel a lot higher.

I love fantasy and sci/fi though. And good fantasy/sci fi is hard to beat.

Equinox

I can't decide if I want to try GoT or not. I FEEL like I'm not going to like it... but I don't know, I could be totally wrong. Is it a similar feel to Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc (because I'm not a big fan of those?)
Watch iiiiiiiiit. Although fair warning, it IS HBO so it does have a lot of nudity, sex, and gore. But it's such a good show.

I've heard that Game of Thrones is comparable to Lord of the Rings in the same way that Batman is like Spiderman. If you're into superhero movies. If you've never seen either it probably won't make much sense :p Game of Thrones is darker, more serious, more elaborate, more intricate, and just has a lot more going on. I have only watched the 3rd LotR movie and that Hobbit movie (Part 1) and I don't really like it, but I love GOT.

I do love Harry Potter though, but GOT and HP barely has anything in common. Definitely definitely definitely not a similar feel.

Xandra

I feel like that music totally didn't go with the trailer or the show.
I think it's pretty alright but I liked S3 better. I'm glad they aren't using the traditional dramatic choral stuff.

It's different. A lot bleaker and more graphic. Much less on the 'magic' aspect of it though it seems to increase as time goes on. Tolkien is great but it's also very archetypal as far as characters go. GoT isn't like that. It's very political, the characters are very complex. There's not always a 'good guy' or a 'bad guy'. HP and LOTR is pretty straightforward: Good guys go fight 'Evil'. And evil is evil because... it's evil. In HP and LOTR you pretty well know good will triumph. In GoT stakes feel a lot higher.
Agreed. In GoT no one but the author and his chosen few has any real idea who's going to live, who's going to be on the throne, if there will be a throne... it's all up in the air. Harry Potter is good. Aragorn is good. But you could debate the morality of the majority of GoT characters.

But, it is still a medieval fantasy series. I think you kind of have to enjoy or at least be open to the medieval scene--mud, swords, horses, "good evening, lord and lady blah blah", maidens, chamberpots, all that jazz--before you can enjoy the series. The magic can sort of be ignored if you try hard :lol-sign: I don't like the magic very much. Dragons are OK but warging I could do without.

JacksonsMom

Watch iiiiiiiiit. Although fair warning, it IS HBO so it does have a lot of nudity, sex, and gore. But it's such a good show.

I've heard that Game of Thrones is comparable to Lord of the Rings in the same way that Batman is like Spiderman. If you're into superhero movies. If you've never seen either it probably won't make much sense :p Game of Thrones is darker, more serious, more elaborate, more intricate, and just has a lot more going on. I have only watched the 3rd LotR movie and that Hobbit movie (Part 1) and I don't really like it, but I love GOT.

I do love Harry Potter though, but GOT and HP barely has anything in common. Definitely definitely definitely not a similar feel.
Oh yeah HBO is one of my favorites for shows. I love The Sopranos, and their new show True Detective a lot. Nip/Tuck is my 2nd favorite show so nudity, sex and gore does not bother me at ALL. lol.

And that's the thing even though typically medieval/scifi/etc isn't my thing -- it does seem like it'd be different. *Totally* different type of show, but for example I like Once Upon a Time and I'm totally not usually into magic and the like, but for some reason, I clicked with that show.

Eh, I'm going to give it a shot. I'm turning it on my HBOGo app right now. :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears

LOTR is kind of in between the two. HP is definitely a kids tale even if it does get darker. I love HP so not dissing it at all, but it's not got the same kind of weight to it. HP is like.... my childhood. LOTR is almost more a myth or something like that. It doesn't have the feel of 'reality' like GoT but is more symbolic in it's characters and themes (do I make sense?)

The Hobbit movies imo sucked. The three LOTR movies are great (if long) but I think they'd make no sense with just a part of a trilogy. I don't like the Hobbit to begin with though. I loved LOTR and devoured it in about a week when I finally picked up the books. They're slow reading though.

Aragron isn't good, he's hot. Or at least Viggo as Aragorn is hot.

But, it is still a medieval fantasy series. I think you kind of have to enjoy or at least be open to the medieval scene--mud, swords, horses, "good evening, lord and lady blah blah", maidens, chamberpots, all that jazz--before you can enjoy the series. The magic can sort of be ignored if you try hard I don't like the magic very much. Dragons are OK but warging I could do without.
I love the magic, but I love almost everything (except a couple of the tediously awkward sex scenes- littlefinger's brothel for example). I think the most interesting thing to me is what is going on in the north with the white walkers and wildlings.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Oh yeah HBO is one of my favorites for shows. I love The Sopranos, and their new show True Detective a lot. Nip/Tuck is my 2nd favorite show so nudity, sex and gore does not bother me at ALL. lol.

And that's the thing even though typically medieval/scifi/etc isn't my thing -- it does seem like it'd be different. *Totally* different type of show, but for example I like Once Upon a Time and I'm totally not usually into magic and the like, but for some reason, I clicked with that show.

If you get confused, that's TOTALLY NORMAL. It took me a bit to remember who is who.

JacksonsMom

LOTR is kind of in between the two. HP is definitely a kids tale even if it does get darker. I love HP so not dissing it at all, but it's not got the same kind of weight to it. HP is like.... my childhood. LOTR is almost more a myth or something like that. It doesn't have the feel of 'reality' like GoT but is more symbolic in it's characters and themes (do I make sense?)

Good, this is kind of what I was hoping! I can do magic/medieval/etc as long as it's 'realistic' and the characters have more depth to them etc. Hard to explain, but I think I know what you're getting at haha. I'll let you know after I finish the 1st ep.

Xandra

Yay but you have to watch at least a couple episodes and feel free to ask any questions here, it can be confusing at first and there are spoilers everywhere o.o

SPOILERS (for all books and seasons) IN WHITE IN THIS THREAD, PEOPLE. and please don't say things that would influence their few of future events, ie dont' hint at a character living especially if they have a NDE. For instance, please don't say anythign about Tyrion making it to the end of the series, considering the tension that will happen at the end of S4.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
NDE? what does that mean?

It confused me but the books confused me more than the show as far as who is who. Because Robb and Robert and Jon Snow and Jon Arryn (not the same person) and I thought Ned was one of the guys from the prologue and ugh.

I'm a visual person so seeing actual actors helped a lot.

Equinox

The Hobbit movies imo sucked. The three LOTR movies are great (if long) but I think they'd make no sense with just a part of a trilogy. I don't like the Hobbit to begin with though. I loved LOTR and devoured it in about a week when I finally picked up the books. They're slow reading though.

Aragron isn't good, he's hot. Or at least Viggo as Aragorn is hot.
I did hear that Part 2 of The Hobbit was pretty bad. I watched Part 1 and it wasn't awful, but the first 20 minutes was put me to sleep boring and the rest of the movie was just... fine, but nothing memorable. Completely predictable, which I don't mind if the movie is good, but...

I watched the 3rd LotR movie as a kid when my friend wanted to see it in theaters, so I definitely don't remember much about it other than that I didn't care for it. I actually might give the series a shot and start from the beginning! The thing is, is that I'm not normally into fantasy and GoT is sort of an exception. Harry Potter, too, I guess but like you said it's definitely different. Harry Potter is also a huuuuge chunk of my childhood, and as a kid fantasy was my favorite genre. I still love Harry Potter because it's Harry Potter, but I can't say with 100% confidence that I'd love it as much if I watched/read it for the first time now.

I love the magic, but I love almost everything (except a couple of the tediously awkward sex scenes- littlefinger's brothel for example).
LOL that "sextopsition". That was such an awkward scene. I'm normally completely fine with watching sex scenes and all that with other people in the room, but during a GoT marathon with my roommate, I was cringing inside at the Littlefinger brothel coaching scene.

And yeah, with the book and the TV show it gets really confusing because there are so many characters and a bunch of them are connected to each other. I've rewatched the series so many times, and every time I catch on to something that I hadn't before.

Equinox

NDE? what does that mean?

It confused me but the books confused me more than the show as far as who is who. Because Robb and Robert and Jon Snow and Jon Arryn (not the same person) and I thought Ned was one of the guys from the prologue and ugh.

I'm a visual person so seeing actual actors helped a lot.
Near Death Experience :)

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid posting spoilers, even the little ones. I was going to post the frame by frame screenshots from the trailers, but figured there were still spoilers that could have been gleaned (particularly by those who haven't watched the show at all) so I decided against it.

I went into Season 1 and part of Season 2 knowing absolutely NOTHING about the show, and omg the surprises.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah I'd try LOTR from the beginning. It's not GoT as far as themes and complexity of characters but it's good. It's also like the 'Bible' of fantasy literature, lol.

The Hobbit... was weird. It's a short childrens' story that they decided to milk for all the $$$ it's worth. It should NEVER have been made into more than one movie.... maybe two. I think two is pushing it. It's not LOTR and never was supposed to be of the same scale as LOTR. It's not a sprawling epic dealing with good vs evil and the fate of the world- it was a story about a hobbit and some dwarves going on a treasure hunt to a mountain with a dragon. They'd tried to make it LOTR and it failed badly imo. I didn't even go see the second one. /rant/

LOL that "sextopsition". That was such an awkward scene. I'm normally completely fine with watching sex scenes and all that with other people in the room, but during a GoT marathon with my roommate, I was cringing inside at the Littlefinger brothel coaching scene.

And yeah, with the book and the TV show it gets really confusing because there are so many characters and a bunch of them are connected to each other. I've rewatched the series so many times, and every time I catch on to something that I hadn't before.
I'm glad I'm not some prude. :p I don't have trouble with sex scenes but god that was awkward and went on way too long. I fast forward that scene every time I watch it now. Once was enough. None of the other sex scenes bother me though. Just that one.

Equinox

Yeah I'd try LOTR from the beginning. It's not GoT as far as themes and complexity of characters but it's good. It's also like the 'Bible' of fantasy literature, lol.

The Hobbit... was weird. It's a short childrens' story that they decided to milk for all the $$$ it's worth. It should NEVER have been made into more than one movie.... maybe two. I think two is pushing it. It's not LOTR and never was supposed to be of the same scale as LOTR. It's not a sprawling epic dealing with good vs evil and the fate of the world- it was a story about a hobbit and some dwarves going on a treasure hunt to a mountain with a dragon. They'd tried to make it LOTR and it failed badly imo. I didn't even go see the second one. /rant/

I'm glad I'm not some prude. :p I don't have trouble with sex scenes but god that was awkward and went on way too long. I fast forward that scene every time I watch it now. Once was enough. None of the other sex scenes bother me though. Just that one.
Haha, okay with that explanation that actually does make sense about LotR vs. The Hobbit. I'm not big on fantasy but I do really enjoy movies in general, so a good movie is a good movie and I'm down to give it a try.

And yeah, no your feelings regarding that brothel scene is definitely not you being a prude LOL It was awkward and unnecessary and just... even the dialogue. OMG. I also skip it during my rewatches.

Members online

No members online now.