Fight to End The 'Pit Bull' Ban/crosspost

B

Blue_Dog

Cross posted from another website. I hope this is an all right place to post this:
-----------------------------------------------------
Saturday, July 18, 2009
Time: 2:00pm - 5:00pm
Location: Toronto: Queens Park, Ottawa: The Supreme Court Building
Street: Ottawa, ON

In November of 2005 Breed Specific Legislation went into LAW in Ontario through Bill 132. The Dog Owner's Liability Act (DOLA) was amended.

We are protesting because people are not receiving EQUAL treatment under the law especially if they own short haired dogs with broad snouts.

We are protesting because ALL Canadians, due to BSL, cannot travel freely across Canada due to a shape of a dogs head although guaranteed by The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

We are protesting, that for the first time in Canadian history, reverse onus is now law and owners of dogs that might look pit bull type are now guilty and must prove innocence.

We are protesting because thousands of responsible owners of pit bull type dogs, or those considered substantially similar (“SSâ€), have to pay for a few irresponsible owners.

We are protesting because we do not believe that discrimination, profiling or segregation of any segment of society should be law.

BSL came to Ontario in the form of Bill 132 in Nov. 2005.

On Thursday June 11 the Supreme Court of Canada made the decision to deny an appeal of Bill 132 (BSL, “Pit Bull†Ban). NONE of the above was important enough to receive attention by our “highest†courts.

This is not just about dog owners. This is about the rights of ALL citizens in this province to travel freely and be treated equally.

We RALLY to promote responsible dog ownership and owner accountability, NOT breed bans.

Main locations will be in Toronto and Ottawa.
Toronto: Queens Park 2 to 5 pm
Ottawa: The Supreme Court Building 2 to 5 pm
LEST WE FORGET

It's been a long 4 years and it's not over yet. Remember: Silence implies acceptance. We need EVERYONE out at these protests. They think that not enough of us care. They think we will eventually go away. Well do we? Will we? It's up to you. We MUST keep fighting to end the discriminatory aspect of the DOLA. It MUST be removed.
We don't have a choice.
In SOLIDARITY!

WE WILL BE WEARING RED AND BLACK TO THIS EVENT!!
Thanks Fran for that great idea!

IMPORTANT!!!!!
ALL DOGS ATTENDING MUST BE IN COMPLIANCE WITH DOLA. BE RESPONSIBLE!

CAR POOLING INFORMATION!
If you need a ride or can pick people up then post in the group here: CAR POOLING FOR THE PROTEST | Facebook. php?gid=90778997438
We want everyone to be able to make it regardless of financial or mobility restraints!

Please, if you can't be there in person... have one in your area. Contact this addy "[email protected]" to tell them where you are and they will add your area to the list on facebook. All pet owners are in trouble with this law. "They came for ours until they are gone. They will come for yours until they are gone too"

-------------------------------
There is supposed to be one in Halifax, NS as well but I do not know exactly where. Please cross post.

wlnorman

Pit bull ban

I love dogs and have friend with a sweet pit bull she adopted that was abused. However, this is not the battle that can be fought and won. We need to use animal lovers resources in most effective areas. Chances of easing pit bull laws is about as likely as easing laws/insurance costs regarding drunk or reckless drivers. Statistics of danger without advance warning are too impelling. If repealed, as soon as the next child or person in killed or mained, every individual and government who had hand in repealing will be sued big time, and win. See excerpts of one article as just an example:

Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006; ) The Clifton study show the number of serious canine-inflicted injuries by breed.

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:

"If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, ...."

Various reports including one by State Farm indicate over a $ Billion costs yearly due to dog bites.

I love dogs and have friend with a sweet pit bull she adopted that was abused. However, this is not the battle that can be fought and won. We need to use animal lovers resources in most effective areas. Chances of easing pit bull laws is about as likely as easing laws/insurance costs regarding drunk or reckless drivers. Statistics of danger without advance warning are too impelling. If repealed, as soon as the next child or person in killed or mained, every individual and government who had hand in repealing will be sued big time, and win. See excerpts of one article as just an example:

Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006; ) The Clifton study show the number of serious canine-inflicted injuries by breed.

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:

"If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, ...."

Various reports including one by State Farm indicate over a $ Billion costs yearly due to dog bites.
Once again, Benjamin Disraeli said it best, "there are lies, damned lies and statistics."

The REALITY of it is that dog "attacks" -- and even dog bites are so far at the bottom of the list of things that cause humans injury and/or death that these laws are nothing but ludicrous and put the lie to any society that embraces them and still wants to claim the label "free."

The laws also don't work. They're equivalent to saying, "hmmm . . . more people driving Hondas were killed in auto accidents, so we should ban Hondas."

Brilliant. Just freaking brilliant.

Miakoda

And just for starters, wlnorman, did you yourself know that there is no such breed as a "pit bull"? See? See how not knowing or understanding the basis of the crap you are reitorating just shows that you are blindly following in the path of those who are blind themselves?

And since there is absolutely NO governing body for statistics, I'd venture to say that 98% of people make up their own statistics to suit their own egotistical purposes.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
id like to try to get to some of these, since i live in ontario now. never had to deal with BSL in the states where i lived so it is very new and frustrating to me not to be able to own my preferred breeds.

Gisella

The reality is that ALOT of people do not know a pitbull from an old English bull dog, american bull dog, or even a boxer. Many of the attacks by these "pitbulls" may not have even been commited by pitbulls at all, there are also presa canario's, they look similar, cane corso's, they don't really look similar but a friend of mine has one and they are constantly hearing "that's a big pitbull", Bully Kutta is another breed that looks very similar to a pitbull,just much larger in size. Alot of dog biting incidents by pitbulls are not closely looked at, or investitgated.Millions of ppl own pitbulls, ( I have mine laying at my feet as I type) if you read the whole study, what it is really saying is that out of the hundreds of thousands of pitbulls kept as family pets, 40 attacked and either maimed or killed someone. They also combined their statistics from the US and Canada. IOW-padded the numbers. They also fail to mention the condition the animals were living in, the level of training or lack of training,the physical condition of the animal its self etc, I just read the study last night and most of "pitbulls" that attacked, attacked as the result of irresponsible animal ownership, whether by lack of proper training and socialization, or by failing to comply with Dog Laws in general. Not everyone who owns this breed, deserves to own any dog at all. Any dog can be "fatal" these are just a more popular breed,many ppl own them, so the numbers are higher for this breed.

Gisella

And might I add, the media induced frenzy does not help, everytime a dog attacks, the word "pitbull" or rottweiler is thrown around, making ppl so fearful of the breed that they "see pitbulls everywhere". Every dog that barks or lunges on a chain, in a car or at the door, starts looking like a pitbull. It is no different than the media induced frenzy claiming the world as we know it will end on Jan 1 2000.

pitbullpony

BSL Can Be Beaten
There is an awareness/fundraising party going on through the DLCC, called get NYOOD with the DLCC,

The CAVB has donated some items, including a Dyson vacuum, to the cause, and suggests contacting the DLCC for more information; or for tickets.

$25.00 at the door to the NYOOD club in Toronto.

pitbullpony

BSL Can Be Beaten
Just what is a "pitbull"

Irks me to no end; very dangerous terminology, especially in this neck of the woods.

“pit bull†includes,

(a) a pit bull terrier,

(b) a Staffordshire bull terrier,

(c) an American Staffordshire terrier,

(d) an American pit bull terrier,

(e) a dog that has an appearance and physical characteristics that are substantially similar to those of dogs referred to in any of clauses (a) to (d); (“pit-bullâ€)

Had an awesome 8 hour chinwag with one of the top level gals associated with the DLCC; and her husband came in and sat down with us too.

They are a wealth of information on old bloodline reg'd APBT. They will not discuss with people their "pitbulls", their "Texas rednose", their "bluenose" and since they are not ashamed or afraid to promote their association with American Pit Bull Terriers, they often get into conversations with individuals about the breed.

The husband goes so far as to inform people (for their safety and the safety of the dogs under Bill 132) that their "texas rednose" or "bluenose pit" isn't an American Pit Bull Terrier, if it isn't registered and there is no such thing as a "pitbull"; and is in fact a mutt/mongrel/mixed breed; that of course if it has characteristics similar to . . .; they should be neuter/spay/muzzling the animal to avoid confiscation and destruction.

Upsets some individuals, and the comeback is quite frequently; the vet said the dog is a "pitbull", "rednose", "bluenose". From what I understand, the Veterinarian Association is not permitting it's members to identify these dogs as "pitbulls", so the husband will visit said vet and make them stop identifying mixed breeds without papers as "pitbulls".

I love this couple; they have done so much for the breed and are so vehement about temperament and proper structure. They have some seriously nice dogs on their yard and it's a shame that they have to deal with the result of Bill 132.

SweetyL

Fight to End The Pit Bull Ban/crosspost

How is Coyo doing? I hope better. How is he with other dogs now? I hope this bad pit bull experience doesnt scar him and make him scared of other dogs. Ive seen that happen before. Its such a shame.

Members online

No members online now.