Moving - where to keep dogs at new house?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
no im worried lol I got an ex-pen for the puppy... hopefully hes not that big of a jumper lol
Mia's first day home I put her in an x-pen and she climbed out. Lol, so far though only Mia and Summer can escape an X-pen or a baby gate. Summer can escape two stacked baby gates if she's determined. :eek: Maybe you'll get lucky lol? The other three can't escape the gates.

Romy

Taxiderpy
for a lot of dogs it can be just as simple as appropriate exercise and appropriate portion sizes, but there are also extremely obese dogs with normal thyroid profiles who are eating ridiculously small portions and not losing weight, so it's not always that simple.
Strider's mom got F-A-T fat after her spay. She looks like she swallowed a pillow. She's a 31 inch tall borzoi and they cut her food down to 1.5 cups of food a day, PLUS exercising her a LOT and it made NO DIFFERENCE. I don't know if it's strictly hormonal or something else is going on, but it's NOT a cut and dry "just feed less and more exercise = weight loss, duh" Something other than diet and exercise is the cause of her obesity, and I find it suspicious that it happened within a couple of months of her spay.

On the original topic, what about belly bands?

Bailey08

no im worried lol I got an ex-pen for the puppy... hopefully hes not that big of a jumper lol
Can't you buy tops for ex-pens?

I got a high one for Bailey when he was a puppy -- I think they come in different heights. He's no jumper, though, and I ended up annoyed by how huge it was. :)

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I wonder if we scared away the OP with the threadjack. Haven't seen him around since page 1.

teedub

I wonder if we scared away the OP with the threadjack. Haven't seen him around since page 1.
Nope, still here. The topic change was easy to ignore, it was the being called "irresponsible" that pushed me elsewhere.

I'm not a trainer, and I take full responsibility in knowing that I didn't train my pom to the standards of some book. I was a teenager when I got him and the last thing that I knew how to do or how to take initiative on was training a dog. But calling me an irresponsible owner to a dog that means the world to me is a bit crude.

Thank you to those who did offer advice. Luckily I've got a little bit of time to look around and see what works best.

xpaeanx

Hey I just thought of something. If you get a Dane sized crate you could add a floor so it's two levels and they have twice the room.

Also, if you stick around chaz you'll see people can get very defensive bc they do care a lot about dogs..... But there's a lot of knowledge here.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
teedub, thanks for coming back. I hope you'll stick around and not be chased off. We're a tight community who are passionate about dogs and sometimes our filters fail us.

Good luck and let us know what you plan to do!

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
as a 300lb woman who walks 2-3 miles a DAY (7 days a week) AND spends at least 2 hours, 5 days a week doing other forms of excersize,
who eats salad greens with no dressing and grilled skinless chiccken brest for lunch and dinner...i RESENT that all obese people are fat simply because they eat too much.

lolas dad, your frined was fat because he couldnt control his eating, YES...
but NEVER thing that all fat people down an entire large pizza and 2 liter bottle of cocke in 1 sitting...
infact if i even attempted to eat anything remotly close to some of my skinny frineds i'd explode!

belive me, if it was just a case of eat less and excersize more id could KILL myself trying (i was reacently reprimanded for doing too much) and mind over matter, id be stick thin with abs to die for and perfect preky boobies...

but its NOT cut and dry...
nor is it in the dogs.

the op does not feel the need to neuter right now...they have given you absolutly NO reason to belive they have ever bred the dogs, are BYBS or irresponsible owners as SOME have already simply assumed...
some people have life changes that require a schedual or routein to change...
in this case id definalty look into an expen. and yes you can get tops for them, petedge has the "shade" voers which work well...

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
Im annoyed because this is the kind of owner that perpetuates the stereotype that causes people to not like small dogs.

The dogs have to be in a cage because, of her own account, they pee everywhere and yap all the time... there were no questions concerning how to train them not to exhibit these behaviors, she actually said she would NOT train them... and this is not a situation where something changes, she has had 7 1/2 years with one and 4 1/2 years with the other to work on these behaviors... to me that is irresponsible and I really can not believe that there are people here who would think that it is anything but.

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
teedub, thanks for coming back. I hope you'll stick around and not be chased off. We're a tight community who are passionate about dogs and sometimes our filters fail us.

Good luck and let us know what you plan to do!
what i said WAS the filtered version.;)

teedub

Who says they pee everywhere and yap "all the time"?

The Dachshund actually has few behavioural issues.

You put two uncut male dogs (especially small dogs) in the same household and they WILL mark. The Dach came into the household a mere 3 years ago with the pom thinking he's the dominant one in the house.

The pom has always been a yapper with many failed attempts to stop the behavior. I have NEVER met a pom that didn't yap.

I'm sooo sorry that I am not as good as a trainer as yourself and that I give small dogs a bad rep.

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
you did...

I They will mark (pee) inside if left unsupervised.
The other reason I don't want him running around the house while I'm gone is because like most small dogs, he yaps... a lot.
Why dont you search the boards on ways to curb barking in the house and marking, or as someone suggested earlier put belly bands on them...

lisabobisa

as a 300lb woman who walks 2-3 miles a DAY (7 days a week) AND spends at least 2 hours, 5 days a week doing other forms of excersize,
who eats salad greens with no dressing and grilled skinless chiccken brest for lunch and dinner...i RESENT that all obese people are fat simply because they eat too much.

lolas dad, your frined was fat because he couldnt control his eating, YES...
but NEVER thing that all fat people down an entire large pizza and 2 liter bottle of cocke in 1 sitting...
infact if i even attempted to eat anything remotly close to some of my skinny frineds i'd explode!

belive me, if it was just a case of eat less and excersize more id could KILL myself trying (i was reacently reprimanded for doing too much) and mind over matter, id be stick thin with abs to die for and perfect preky boobies...

but its NOT cut and dry...
nor is it in the dogs.

the op does not feel the need to neuter right now...they have given you absolutly NO reason to belive they have ever bred the dogs, are BYBS or irresponsible owners as SOME have already simply assumed...
some people have life changes that require a schedual or routein to change...
in this case id definalty look into an expen. and yes you can get tops for them, petedge has the "shade" voers which work well...
Amen!

teedub, I'm sorry for how you've been treated by some folks here. Unfortunately, often times with online communities, if you say one wrong thing people jump down your throat. Whether you meant it how they took it or not. Nobody knows your situation better than you and all you can do is review the advice and do what you think is right.

What people don't seem to get is by being rude they're not getting their point across at all. Maybe they do have your dog's best intentions in mind but I think very few people will take advice when it's thrown at them like that. If you start off by calling someone irresponsible, you make them defensive. If you say "hey you could actually do this..." then most people are much more likely to listen.

Just my opinion of course.

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
lisa.. my first post...

Will someone be letting them out during the day? 10 hours is a long time for a small dog to go without having a potty break. Will your dad or a dog walker be able to do this?

Also, why not try and train them not to mark or try neutering them?
she said she cant or wont train them, I tried to give advice, others tried to give advice, she doesnt want it... I am not being rude, I am calling it as I see it.

I dont see the point in people coming to post here when they know what they are going to do anyway.

Juicy

The Dachshund actually has few behavioural issues.

You put two uncut male dogs (especially small dogs) in the same household and they WILL mark. The Dach came into the household a mere 3 years ago with the pom thinking he's the dominant one in the house.

The pom has always been a yapper with many failed attempts to stop the behavior. I have NEVER met a pom that didn't yap.

I'm sooo sorry that I am not as good as a trainer as yourself and that I give small dogs a bad rep.
BOLD #1: Do you have any research done on that male small dogs mark more than male large dogs?

BOLD #2: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: My dogs must be some sort of alien species, because they did not mark, even with multiple unfixed males in the house.

BOLD #3: Its CLEARLY my dogs are not getting the memo...........my old pom did not yap, **** I should of gotten in on tape, because it could of been a rare pom! :rolleyes:.........is that really your only excuse???!

Not saying you're a better trainer than I, I had a rat terrier that was evil and yappy, and fit the small dog stereotypes, but not every dog fits these stereotypes, and by posing these beliefs, you're not helping much to the small dog community, when our dogs are constantly labeled as those 'ankle-biting, yappy, not even 'REAL' dogs'.

Its not a SMALL DOG THING, that your dog yaps, or marks, or whatever and that you get a free pass for saying your dogs bad behaviors are because they're small dogs, and thats what small dogs do.

Why feed into it? And then use it as an excuse when your dog isn't properly trained?

Last edited:

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
The op did mention the boys mark when left unsupervised...
For heaves sake... Jasper marks when you leave certain items laying around...
Like it or not marking is natural behaviour...if you have dogs that don't...wonderfull for you...
It's very hard to correct a behavior that only occurs when your not home...

How many people crate their dogs for whatever reason when they can't be supervised...

There's alot of holier than thou going on lately from some members!

Juicy

The op did mention the boys mark when left unsupervised...
For heaves sake... Jasper marks when you leave certain items laying around...
Like it or not marking is natural behaviour...if you have dogs that don't...wonderfull for you...
It's very hard to correct a behavior that only occurs when your not home...

How many people crate their dogs for whatever reason when they can't be supervised...

There's alot of holier than thou going on lately from some members!
I don't have a problem that the OP dogs mark, but the fact that she sums small dogs into being marking, yappy dogs. I rather not someone give small dogs bad reps, but hey thats just me ;)

teedub

And pit bulls are horrible people killers :rolleyes:

An opinion is an opinion. It has been in my personal experience that larger dogs are easier to train to an extent. Most of the small dogs that I've had have always been extremely stubborn.

If you can honestly tell me that poms don't have a reputation as being noisy and that Dachshunds don't have a reputation for being stubborn, then I'll question your credibility in giving advice.

lisabobisa

lisa.. my first post...

she said she cant or wont train them, I tried to give advice, others tried to give advice, she doesnt want it... I am not being rude, I am calling it as I see it.

I dont see the point in people coming to post here when they know what they are going to do anyway.
I wasn't singling you out and wasn't saying that you (or anyone) didn't ever try to help out. I'm just saying that the "calling it as you see it" probably isn't going to help and if anything will only hurt your point. If you don't think they're listening, then I simply wouldn't continue the conversation.

Yes the OP was probably pretty set on what they were going to do, I think their question was more about how to do it. Their point was to ask about different pens and I think the doggy daycare was also good advice if they have the funds. You're upset that they don't want training advice but they never said they did.

Members online

No members online now.