walking issues

huskyfun

It seems to be on correctly, she swiped it of her nose lol, whilst i was putting on my shoes, huskys can get out of anything!

Maxy24

I also forgot to mention clicker training. Teach your dog that the click from the clicker means he gets a treat. Then on a walk when the dog falls near your side click and give him a treat. If he never falls at your side while walking then you need to make him by turning around and walking in the other direction, as he turns and begins to pass you click and treat when he falls near your side.

Eventually he will learn to frequently visit your side for his click and treat, DO NOT lure him to your side, wait until he gets there himself without him having to see the treat, have them in a fanny pack or something similar.

Also be sure to give continuous treats if he STAYS near your side. So if you click and treat as soon as he gets to your side and he stay there for one whole step click and treat again, then for another whole step, then wait two steps etc. so he learns STAYING by your side is really good, even better than just visiting.

You may want to have your clicker on a band that you can put on your wrist so that you don't drop it during the walk.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with clicker training, if you want more info I can give you some.

huskyfun

no i have never tired clicker training, the only thing is she dosent seem interested in treats while on a walk, i suppose i could try ham slices she will do anything for some of that.

noodlerubyallie

Sprayin' the spiders
I HAVE a Sibe that walks nicely on her leash. So it is very possible!

Basically, I have taught her that eye contact with me, in heel position, earns food. I use Natural Balance rolls, cut up into little pieces and it seems to be very good to her. I do occasionally use a prong collar on her when we are walking with our Lab also, as the team mentality develops and she has a tendency to forget I'm behind her. But, if we are walking by ourselves, just me and her, she walks with a nice slack and I don't need shoulder replacement.

If she starts to pull, I turn and walk the other direction. Granted, it's not much of a walk when you first start, but it really hits home, once they realize they don't get to go anywhere if they continue to pull.

Just be very consistent in what method you choose. Correct/praise EVERY time she does something wrong/right, and they'll get the picture. As we know, they are brilliant dogs....we just live in their world...;)

huskyfun

:) thanks so there is hope then!
I have tried that one for a few weeks, i must admit i looked abit funny keep turning around!
I think i will go back to the tactic of standing still until she relaxes then award her with a treat, maybe with a clicker as well.
well heres hoping as i really hate to use these halti things :(

lizzybeth727

Again, the halti IS easy for dogs to get off... but the gentle leader, if adjusted correctly, should not come off. As it says on their website:
Can be custom fit…the Gentle Leader is the only headcollar with a fully adjustable nose loop. Once fitted properly, dogs can wear a Gentle Leader for up to 3x longer than other head halters…as long as 16 hours…and cannot paw it off.
I'm still not sure whether you have a GL or a Halti, though, but either way perhaps you should search for an instructional video to make sure that you're using it right.

I second Noodle and Maxy's advice. You should use the best treats that you can find to use on walks - best meaning whatever YOUR dog likes best..... If it's ham, by all means, use ham. What you want to be careful NOT to do though, is to give her a treat for relaxing the leash after she pulls. That will get her into a pattern - pull, relax, get a treat... pull, relax, get a treat. Instead, if she pulls, either stop walking or turn the other direction, and when you can take one or two steps with her at your side, THAT'S when you click/treat or just treat.

Members online

No members online now.