Landlord's annoying dog

tzigane

A hot shot like ... A cattle prod, or as we call them a "short stick". Mind you that is only for the most aggressive dogs whom I know will harm me & my dogs & assertive stance or "get out of here" doesn't work, luckily I only had to use it twice as verbal deturant works if the dog really isn't serious about attacking.

Same with the rap last. But it is made to go on bandages that go on horses legs so it isn't as intense as the real stuff.
So you think it's okay to put something that's made to go on the thick relatively non-porous skin of a HORSE in a DOG'S totally exposed very vulnerable extremely porous EYES? Think about getting very strong hot sauce on your skin (which is already more exposed than a horse's) vs. in YOUR eyes. Yeah, no. In absolutely no way in no situation is that okay.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
So you think it's okay to put something that's made to go on the thick relatively non-porous skin of a HORSE in a DOG'S totally exposed very vulnerable extremely porous EYES? Think about getting very strong hot sauce on your skin (which is already more exposed than a horse's) vs. in YOUR eyes. Yeah, no. In absolutely no way in no situation is that okay.
You're not even supposed to apply it to the horses skin, it goes on the bandage, blanket, etc, so that the smell and taste deter the horse from eating said object....

I ask, how is this any different then let's say, if this dog were to do this in a park or dog park while you & your dogs were minding your own business? Just saying.
Really? A dog on the owner's own property is no different than a dog in a park or dog park? :confused:

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Asking if you can tie the dog when you take yours out sounds entirely appropriate, and I can't imagine the owner being offended. As to spraying the dog, the product that would be effective and what I sometimes carry on walks is citronella spray (brand name "Spray Shield", I think), which is discouraging without being harmful to the dog in any way (won't discourage a serious attack, but will back off a curious or overly friendly dog). Bonus that the owners tend to get aggravated that you sprayed their dog with something, and they keep it away from you next time. It's +P for dog owners, really.

I wouldn't use that in this case, though, because the owners might be offended by it, even though it's harmless. The private property thing.
At least the citronella would make him smell nice if used.

Though for dogs on the owners property, no but if he is harassing neighbors or people walking their dogs by minding THEIR own business.

Perhaps they do not know their dog is being obnoxious.

Skin is nonporous? Sure compared to Mucous membranes like eyes & noses it is LESS porous but skin certainly isn't completely nonporous.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Before you go on and on about how it's not harmful, please spray yourself in the face and make it a point to have your eyes open and breathe deeply as your spray. And then multiply it by 1000 to account for the extra nose sensitivity that dogs have.

Not saying this to be mean, but until you've experienced a face full of mace for yourself, not a bit of backdraft, but all the oil and crap IN YOUR EYE, please don't spray anybody with it unless your life is in danger.

It's totally not appropriate for any dogs just derping around in an obnoxious way. That's the sort of pain that can easily cause a happy dog friendly dog to develop serious reactivity/aggression to stuff that reminds them of getting sprayed (like people walking by, other dogs, etc.)

Giny

Speaking from a landor's perspective, when you have a good tenants you'll do what you can to accomodate them in order to make things work, its difficult finding good tenants. I'm sure he feels the same way. Talking to him and bringing about a few solutions to the problem would be what I'd do.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I can't believe people would even consider doing this to an over friendly 2 year old lab. If it were me, I would say to the owner "it looks like your dog really wants to walk with us. AS a thank you for all your help I would love to help train him so he can go along" and then I would do so. Because there is nothing I love more than a good lab, and it would be doing him a solid by teaching him the skills he needs to be safe. It would be a win win all the way around and wouldn't take more than a couple weeks of a little extra work. There is no way in hell I would consider harming him, in any way, ever.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Okay, let's break this down into the basics.

Amber rents the basement from the owners of the lab. She is living on THEIR property. The owners of the house and land choose to let their lab run loose. The lab is running loose on its OWN property.

Amber wants to find a non offensive way to keep the dog away from her dogs. The dog is not an aggressive threat, but more of an annoyance. I totally agree with her frustrations. Obviously, she rents from the owners of this dog and lives in their home. It would be like renting a room and deciding to gut their bathroom or replace their counter tops- it is NOT her place to do whatever she wants with THEIR property.

It's a delicate situation. Asking to tether the dog while Amber takes her dogs out is good advice. Putting up a pre-made chain link dog "yard" is a good idea. Throwing biscuits at the dog (if the owners are okay with this!) is also a good idea. All of these are non-offensive to both the owners and the lab. It would be like asking if you could paint the walls of your apartment purple as long as you paint them back to white before you move out.

Pepper-spraying the dog (or using Rap Spray, which IS pepper-spray) on a dog in its OWN yard is just... insane. I don't understand how anyone can think this is an appropriate solution. The owners are fine with their dog running loose, the dog isn't some aggressive threat in a park/hiking trail/etc. Why would anyone EVER think that pepper spraying a dog in its OWN yard is a good idea? If someone was living with me and they pepper-sprayed my dogs in MY yard because they ran up to their dogs, they would be kicked out at that very INSTANT. I would toss all of their belongings on the curb.

And a cattle prod... :yikes: Again, Amber is RENTING from the owners of this dog. She lives in THEIR house on THEIR land. Their dog is a nuisance, but the dog is on its OWN property.

Gypsydals

Put it this way. If I had renters sharing my house. And instead of coming to me FIRST about my obnoxious puppy/dog. They decided to either spray my dog or jab them with a cattle prod. I would come unglued like never before. That cattle prod would get shoved somewhere where its not meant to be. And they would be GONE!!! Not to mention, it would make mine come unglued on them as well.
Amber, I suggest talking to them, and either ask if they mind if you tie him up, until your guys are done pottying and possibly work with him on his manners. That is about the only thing you can do. Just mention that being humped up to poop is not the safest position for a dog to be in and to be body slammed is asking for someone to get hurt and you would like to advoid that. Or ask if you could help build the fence they where talking about.

Members online

No members online now.