Best affordable food for a puppy?

I have recently adopted a little 3 pound puppy (half yorkie, chihua).
I am confused about food. I hear purina from so many people, yet it is full of corn. Can they have ANY cat food, is canned ok? What protein or ash content is acceptable? (Kirkland cat has chicken and rice have a large bag)
Also can a small breed pup have the same kind of puppy food as a large breed pup? I can make food for her. got recipes?
any and all opinions, thanks:)

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I wouldn't feed a dog cat food period. There are numerous canned dog foods sold that are good, many that are mainly meat. Kirkland if that's what you choose makes chicken and rice for dogs too, as well as a salmon grain-free line... for dogs.

When my last puppy was young I liked innova. Go to a decent petstore and look at bags of food.

Saeleofu

If you want something good and affordable, some to look at are Taste of the Wild, Grain-free Kirkland, and Victor grain-free. Of those, IF you can find it (it's not wide-spread yet, and where you're at I doubt it's there yet) Victor is the best for the price. The TOTW and Kirkland are the same, but if you have a Costco near you the Kirkland is MUCH cheaper.

There are more and more All Life Stages foods at a decent price, it's just a matter of looking in the right place. For a 3-pound puppy, even things like Orijen should be affordable.

AliciaD

On second thought...
When your dog is that little, raw becomes a very cheap option. You might want to look at the raw threads in the diet section.

thanks you 3 ! I want to make my own for her, since she is so little. I baked some goat chops and she loves them. The cat food was a mistake she snuck out to the garage and I have learned to catch her before she gets there again. I am checking on recipes.

Saeleofu

If you're making it yourself, I suggest raw. As small as she is you could try ground raw f you're more comfortable with it.

Members online

No members online now.