Teeth problem/cleaning.

We recently adopted a dachshund (about a month ago) and I have noticed that there might be a problem with his teeth. It could be that it is normal and I just haven't seen it on other dogs. The first is that from the gum to the middle of his teeth, they are brown. I am assuming this is tartar or some such thing. How do you deal with it?

Second, his gums near a few of his teeth are purple and it looks bruised to me. It has been this way since we got him. He was very well taken care of in his former home (he was surrendured because his owner became ill) so I don't think it is from abuse. It is especially obvious near where his bottom canines touch his top gums. I have heard of filing down dogs teeth, is that appropriate here? Anyone know if this is a problem and how to deal with it. He is an older dog (6) and I just want to make sure he doesn't lose his teeth.

I can provide a picture if needed.

Thanks.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
You should have this dog's teeth professionally cleaned as a first course of action. The vet will check out the teeth and extract the ones that are dead.

If the gums are discolored, that might be an indicator of gum disease.

Once the teeth have been examined and cleaned, it will be easier to keep up a good maintenance regime, such as for example giving some nice, raw bones on a regular basis to keep the teeth clean and gums exercised.

TEve

The Sheltie
Yeah just get a vet to check out his teeth and the vet would probably give you more information on it depending on if he needs work done on his teeth or not.

Members online

No members online now.