Self Control Games

I know y'all have 'em! What are your favorite self control games.

I have a headstrong girl that needs touchup work on her self control, especially while stimulated. I'm out of ideas, so any suggestions are welcome! :)

BostonBanker

Do you get Clean Run magazine? There's almost always an article on some sort of self-control each month. There was a special issue that I think you can still order on their website on Control and Motivation.

I have yet to try any, as Meg needs to be wound up like a toy car to work; we were paying more attention to the motivation articles!

Yeah, I get cleanrun. Just seeing if anyone on here had any ideas I haven't done yet. Always looking for something different. :)

milos_mommy

How about: Focus on me (make eye contact) when something very very interesting is going on in the background??

R

RedyreRottweilers

We play the LOOK GAME here, starting VERY young. Puppies learn to make eye contact to get a reward. Once they learn this, I begin distractions by holding the treats out with my hands where they can see them.

No lookie, no cookie.

We work up to stronger and stronger distractions.

No lookie, no cookie.

I also begin requiring dogs to hold position quietly at an early age. I don't use the stay command, however, if the dog breaks position they are put back.

We practice this self control exercise first at home, and then in as many public places with distraction that we can find.

And finally my dogs learn very early to lie with chin on floor while we are eating. This is the only way they get a reward from the plate. They learn quickly what is required, and this builds to excellent self control and good behavior around others who are eating as well.

These are a couple of the ones that I use to teach puppies/dogs self control. :D

milos_mommy

Lol Red...No Lookie No Cookie is the perfect name for that game. It makes me laugh. I'm putting that in my user title thing.

KatzNK9

Ozzy & Jagger Rock!
Two thumbs up for the "No Lookie, No Cookie" game ... I play that game too from a very early age.

adojrts

You have probably done these, but I'll list them anyways lol.

The 1, 2, 3 Game.
Want Da Cookie.
And of course, get them all pumped up when going outside, ask for a sit or a down, open the door and leave without releasing.

Thats all I can think of at this time............brains not working very good this weekend.

One I like to do is to get the dog very interested in a toy (especially if its a favourite) and start playing fetch with it. After you throw it and the dog is going after it, call the dog off the retrieve and have him/her return to you. After he has returned release him to go get the toy then just as he is approching it tell him to "leave it" or "wait" whatever command you want so he doesnt grab it. Have him do a series of commands (sit, down, sit again, come, release back to the toy once more, sit...etc) and then finally reward by releasing the dog to get his toy for a play session. This can be done with food too.

Ronan is so funny with this game since he doesnt care much for food or toys. When I tell him to "wait" before grabbing the toy or treat, he looks at me then will walk away from the whole scene like "fine, i really dont want it that bad anyways lady, its all yours!". OC is a much better candidate for this game LOL

Bear Luv

CEO of the Candy Cult
For agility I taught Bear to be released on command. It seems simple, we worked on it for a good startline stay and then a quick fast release.

I set her up in a sit and tell her to stay. To make sure she doesnt move when I throw the toy, I hold her collar, then I throw the toy. After a few seconds when she is REALLY focused on the toy, I release with a "go".

After awhile I really test her ability to stay on command, I throw the toy, and creep up to it, like I am going to steal it from her. She gets really tempted to get the toy, and finally I release her to get the toy. Afterwards I sometimes play tug with her.

Her drive has really kicked up a notch since I started to play this game with her.

She gets really amped when I tell her she cant have her toy, and I creep to get it, which tempts her to break her stay. Sometimes she does, in which case I just go get the toy, and put her back in a stay and start over.

We are just starting to bring that into contact/agility training. But even without agility, its still lots of fun, and helps with stays. Bear will now stay in most situations. She still breaks sometimes, but we are working on it.

Diane

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Brandi Jacques version of the 1 2 3 game is:

1-2-3 game – ask your dog to sit. Hold on to a toy your dog loves (or a cookie)… Move a few steps ahead of your dog facing the same direction as the dog. Look over your shoulder toward your dog, but be ready to run forward. Say your dog’s release word (e.g. OK! Or Break!) in a happy, excited voice and then RUN AWAY from your dog!! When your dog catches you, reward… This game is teaching the dog to control himself and hold the sit, and then to chase you down when you give the release word. TIP: do not move when you say the release word. But then, RUN! (more to come… namely the 1-2-3 part!)
We took classes with her last summer, and a lot of it was going back to the basics. Was really helpful actually.

Staff online

Members online