Embarassing question about male dogs (might be too much info)

Fran27

Sometimes when I walk Boris (or two days ago at his classes... ugh), there is a pink thing going out of his thing (being vague on purpose :p). I thought it was only non neutered dogs that have that so often? Is it normal for a neutered dog and what does that mean? That he's happy, tired, excited?

Sorry if TMI... I'm just curious, maybe it can give me an idea of how Boris is 'feeling'.

showpug

EliNHunter said:
It's called his lipstick :D

Oh, and neutering has nothing to do with keeping that from happening...
I am so excited that you call it lipstick too :D Sorry, but looks just like a rolled up lipstick LOL!!! That is what we used to call it at the vet clinic I worked for (not to the clients, but behind the scenes.)

My male pug likes to show his ALL THE TIME...his shows up when he is relaxed and I pick him up. I tell him to "put it away"...doesn't do any good, but makes me feel better :rolleyes:

Don't worry about it, and NO, neutering has nothing to do with it. :) Dogs can be "dogz" can't they??

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Fran27 said:
Ok I had no clue! So why does it happen?
Gus's pops out when he's sitting awkwardly, or very hot. I think he thinks he can pant with it! lol! :D And we don't call it a Lipstick, it's a Carrot in this house ;) :D

Saje

Island dweller
I think fat dogs just don't have room for it anymore. Especially if they sit a certain way. It's kinda like doggy butt crack. :D

showpug

Saje said:
I think fat dogs just don't have room for it anymore. Especially if they sit a certain way. It's kinda like doggy butt crack. :D
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D I am sitting here dying laughing!!

showpug

BigDog2191 said:
LOL! lipstick...

Anyway, when is a good time to neuter? 7 months...?
6 months is when I do it. Some may argue otherwise, but I :) don't like my males to discover leg hiking or marking their territory.

Fran27

My vet says 6 months too, the rescue said 5 though so going to neuter Tips at 5. But I'm definitely glad to avoid the humping etc too...

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Well my vet neutered Mack at 10 months (we got him at 7). This happens to Mack like every...two seconds and yes it is VERY embarrassing! I think they like to do it at six months though (the neuter). Will this go away in time or will I just always have a "happy" dog?

Lol, BigDog! I don't really think they're "boners" per se. I think it just pops out when they sit funny or get scared or are in trouble. Have you ever seen a horse's popped out?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

bubbatd

I laughed when EliNhunter first called it their " lipstick ".....when yop line a bunch of dogs up for a family picture...one always forgets to put it in their case !

Debi

Guess it depends on the vet...mine wouldn't neuter until 7 months. Hammie has never 'marked territory' before, or after neutering. How funny! And...lipstick in this house.........has just been found in my purse......................makes ya kinda wonder about Ole Ham, doesn't it?? LOL (course, he now won't walk in high weeds either.....what a strange dog) :) Before neutering...EGADS...lipstick, lipstick. LOL

Saje

Island dweller
They are large. And you can really tell the difference between a 'boner' and just a free willy. :D

I knew a trainer that would whip a stallion's penis if it got excited. :( That's gotta cause performance anxiety later among other things.

Members online

No members online now.