Horseback riding in winter

This is the first winter in a few years that I haven't been taking riding lessons, and can stay snug at home instead of slithering out to the barn in the dark and cold and dealing with a horse who cannot believe I want to drag him out of his cozy stall. And now that it's gotten horribly cold, I'm a little happy about that :) But... I have to admit, I miss the sense of having conquered my own wimpiness. I used to come back from riding and every part of my body was frozen straight through and my hands hurt like hell, but I was a god. I had conquered the elements. Now I huddle inside watching TV and drinking tea and it's all very nice, but so inglorious.

So to all the horse people lugging water around and trying to do up girths without being able to feel your fingers - I salute you! I hope you also get those moments of staring into a clear winter sky all alone and breathing in the perfect cold air, and feeling wonderful because there's such a beautiful solitude to a winter's day or night that you don't see on your hurried route from the car to the supermarket.

BostonBanker

:lol-sign: I assure you, that was not what was going through my head today with the -20 windchill! It was "how quick can I get these d**n stalls done and retreat to the tackroom?

I admit, I did take a perverse pride for years in riding no matter how cold it was. Then I started to realize that neither Tristan nor I enjoyed ourselves, or got warmed-up and loose enough to really accomplish anything. Now, if it is under 20, the boy gets a cookie, a kiss on the forehead (about the only part of his body not swathed in blankets right now), and I go home and take a shower.

Plear

I've gotta say, oh man was it FREEZING at the Fort Worth Stock Show this week!! My fingers went numb and I was shaking in every class I was in... plus it was freaking my horse out, not because of the cold but because I was shivering - she is very light-sided, and if my leg tapped her a little bit in my Western Pleasure class she would go faster (which, for those of you that have seen/shown in a pleasure class, is not good - the horse should be going as sloooooow as possible, even when loping). In barrel racing and pole bending I nearly fell off my oddly composed horse - wouldn't that be sad, me falling off my little horse while others in my age group were getting bucked off (their horses get a little too excited sometimes, my horse was being lazy for once).

Good thing the warm-up arena was heated!! But too bad the show arena wasn't, since it was by a door so people could come watch us... LOL

But I certainly DID feel a since of accomplishment - the horse I'm showing for someone gets a little wack sometimes (which is why I'M riding her! LOL), but we got 2 1st place rosettes in Halter, a 4th rosette in Western Pleasure and a 3rd in English Pleasure! Didnt place in Equitation or Showmanship though... she went a little crazy then and jumped in the air in Equitation and wouldn't let me touch her mouth to show the judge her teeth in Showmanship. LOL

Well, I've been there....have to admit I've been hibernating during the really cold weather! My trail horse Bull's Eye though is still making me tough it out with all the stable chores etc...but my new (hopefully) show horse is at the trainers and is in a HEATED barn---I liked being in that barn so much I stayed and brushed all the horses LOL! (doesn't save you much when you still have to go outside and ride--a heated barn but no indoor--go figure!)

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I rode for the first time in the winter yesterday.. Wasnt so bad, and to make things even better we went out twice(mind you they were only short rides, and all walking!) :) I had a great time, I dressed VERY warm.... and it was nice out yesterday - THANK GOD!

Heheh, I a stinker when it comes to the cold, well I hate it! I am still shocked I went out and rode twice yesterday! :)

Shay

BostonBanker

Well, I sucked it up and actually rode tonight. 12 degrees - Tristan was thoroughly unimpressed. And I remembered why I never ride him in a quarter sheet. Every time I'd tap my lazy beast with the dressage whip, he'd just stick his tongue out at me (figuratively, of course) and say, "neener neener neener, I can't even feel it!".

I'm determined to ride again tomorrow, sans sheet. The beast and I need to get back in the habit.

Saje

Island dweller
When I first got horses the rule was that I had to go out at least five days a week and ride. Well that SUCKED in the winter when it was -40 C and your nostrils were freezing shut and fingers went numb. We had an indoor arena at that time but it didnt' help. Later, we boarded where there was a heated arena and that was just luxury! Now, I don't make myself go out in that kind of weather. It's just too rough. And it can be dangerous for the horse too!

Roxy's CD

I should technically be out riding seeing as where I board they have a heated indoor arena, but I'm just too darned lazy :eek:

Before, I was the same, 14 out there in 30 below weather, a little chilly while grooming and tacking up, but after a good ride in my t-shirt thoroughly sweating like a stuck pig! ROFL

Members online

No members online now.