Breed Ideas

I'll be graduating from college soon, and I'm considering getting a dog during grad school. While there are a lot of details to figure out before actually getting one, its not too early to see what kind of dog I might like. While it could very well be a shelter too, I'll start with looking at purebreds or common crossbreds.

Some basic assumptions are that I will be in a small shared house or pets allowed appartment. This means the saint bernard might not be a good choice! It would be my first dog, on my own, although I have experience with several other dogs.

I would prefer a higher trainability, although there is some leway there.

Mid sized (confined housing- but no toys, ect) atheletic enough for skijour/bikejour, hiking, camping. Ball nut prefered. (Our current pointer mix does not fetch! very annoying ;))

I would prefer not do deal with too much dog aggression because of the long lead activities I want to do. Skijour would have a dog on the end of a 10 foot lead, which would not be good for controling an incidents.

Preferably not too into barking, and certainly no yipping/ high pitched squeeling.

I'm a bit concerned about the activity level of the BC or ACDs. Grad School hours can be long, and while I could get a way for short games and to let it out once or twice during the work day, one of those might get bored... Similarly, too much of a predisposition to seperation anxiety would not be good.

Any ideas? I know that was once of the most incoherent lists of desirable and undesirable traits I've seen, but thats what I'm working with so far.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
What about shedding? Any preferances about that?

A shelter (a good one) would be a good place to start. You could always just look around at the older dogs (dogs older then 2 yrs probably) since you may not have a ton of time for a puppy. There are a ton of different types of dogs at shelters, if you find a good one (or a rescue if you narrow down a particular breed) they will be able to help you with your requirments (such as liking fetch/balls :))

Good luck :)

zoe08

How much shedding are you willing to deal with? Will you be able to give an 8 week old puppy the attention it needs? Taking it outside every couple hours, including during the night?

I definitely suggest going to the shelter. This way you can find a dog that is a bit older and know stuff about it first. If you get a pup, there is really not a way to say that he or she will definitely play fetch, etc. Also if you want a cross breed, go to the shelter. Any breeder who purposely breeds mutts is a BYB.

If you want a purebred are you willing to put the effort in finding a good, responisble breeder? Are you educated on what that is?

Since this is your first dog, are you prepared to take him/her to training classes? Also are you prepared for the costs of shots, spay/neuter, good flea/tick meds, heartworm meds, emergency vet visits?

There are a lot of things to consider when getting a dog. I am not trying to be rude, I just hope you are prepared. And again I definitely suggest going to your shelter. After going to your shelter and seeing how many dogs are there needing good homes you may feel completely differently about buying from a breeder. I know that I dont think I will ever go to a breeder again after researching how many dogs are in shelters and doing a speech about it, and my photo documentary at one of our local shelters.

Shedding. Less is always better, although it wouldnt particularly bother me if it shed quite a bit. I would prefer less "weekly" maintainance and would gladly take the coat blow out of a northern breed over the long hair of, say, and Afghan Hound. There is a trade off between "weather proofness" for my outdoor activities which can happen rain or snow, and how little fur you can put on a dog ;) I'm thinking a double coat would be good, so I'm just going to get a good vac and a bunch of brushes.

An adult seems like the best bet. A young puppy would be very difficult, and even an older one (8-12mo) would still be very trying. Because I currently live in NJ there are breed rescues for about 30 breeds within 100 miles in addition to the normal shelters and town pounds. Thats why I feel comfortable starting the search with purebreds and the common mixes (labx ect), not that I would actually find a breeder at this point.

Clearly this is all very up in the air. It depends on how much I would be paid, and if I could find pet allowed housing. Heck, I still dont know what state I would be in!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Shedding. Less is always better, although it wouldnt particularly bother me if it shed quite a bit. I would prefer less "weekly" maintainance and would gladly take the coat blow out of a northern breed over the long hair of, say, and Afghan Hound. There is a trade off between "weather proofness" for my outdoor activities which can happen rain or snow, and how little fur you can put on a dog ;) I'm thinking a double coat would be good, so I'm just going to get a good vac and a bunch of brushes.

An adult seems like the best bet. A young puppy would be very difficult, and even an older one (8-12mo) would still be very trying. Because I currently live in NJ there are breed rescues for about 30 breeds within 100 miles in addition to the normal shelters and town pounds. Thats why I feel comfortable starting the search with purebreds and the common mixes (labx ect), not that I would actually find a breeder at this point.

Clearly this is all very up in the air. It depends on how much I would be paid, and if I could find pet allowed housing. Heck, I still dont know what state I would be in!
lol Well it sounds like you have plenty of time to do your research!! And find what breed you are looking at! :) Good job for doing research before hand!! That is always great to see!!

I don't really have any suggestions for you, but I know as soon as the rest of the chazhound gang comes back online they will :) It may be a while though (it's late). Your best bet would be wait till morning for some answers :)

Brattina88

I'm not too sure... your guidlines leave me feeling like my answers are very broad... but regardless, I'd suggest some of the sporting breeds. Maybe a Brittany, or an ESS, or maybe even a Golden (not too sure about your size limits).

As for the double coated comment, if your really don't mind shedding, there are some awesom GSD mixes at shelters that I think would make a very good pet for you ;)

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
A husky could be okay. The only thing would be noise. They are fairly talkative, and enjoy baying/howling, but the one I had wasn't much of a barker. She shed quite a bit. She LOVED playing ball, she was okay without alot of exercise, which suprised me, but it sounds like with all the sports, you'll be doing, yours will have some good exercise. She was medium sized, I'll say 45-60lbs. She was small for a husky IMO, but maybe females are just smaller than males. I'm not even sure what the standard is. She was VERY easily trained, but I've heard of people having stuborn sibes. She was housetrained in a matter of days, and learned how to sit, stay the 1st day she was home. She was a very intelligent dog. I love huskies, but they aren't for everyone. Do some reading up on them, if you think they sound like something you'd like to get. Good luck finding a dog!!! :)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I have one concern and it's mainly about how much time you'll have to devote to the dog. Grad school is incredibly trying...although perhaps with a dog you won't fall prey to the "Grad School 60" so many of my professors spoke about. ;)

With that in mind...I would perhaps look for a dog that is a bit more independent minded, rather than one who is going to want to be glued to your side 24/7. Libraries are pretty strict about that whole "no dogs" policy and you're probably going to be living in one most of the time. I am, of course, assuming all this without even knowing what your dissertation is going to be about.

Delisay

Oh my, that's not a sentence ya' hear everyday!! :D

(Just dropped in on this thread...haven't been keeping up!)

D. :)

Members online

No members online now.