Which breed does this sound like?

-large in size
-non greasy coat (don't like the feeling of having to wash my hands after petting i.e. labs)
-fairly quiet
-reasonably biddable
-low prey drive
-low to medium energy

Does this exist? Any breeds jump out as fitting this?

Except for the prey drive, I'm starting to think this sounds like a greyhound. But I don't really want a greyhound ..... :confused:

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Does shedding bother you at all? Coat length? Drool? Do you want a reserved dog, or more friendly? Off leash reliable? How large is large?

Honestly, as long as you are feeding a proper diet and bathing your dog on a regular basis, the dogs coat shouldn't be greasy. I know exactly what you are talking about, and there isn't really a breed with that kind of coat...just gross dogs that aren't bathed or are fed crap.

A Great Date may fit the bill, but they are obviously very large and require a lot of structure as pups so they mature into well behaved dogs.

MrsBoats

Legion of Zoom Den Mother
I know nothing about their prey drive....but what about a Bull Mastiff??

They do drool...but they seem to fit the rest of this:

-large in size
-non greasy coat (don't like the feeling of having to wash my hands after petting i.e. labs)
-fairly quiet
-reasonably biddable
-low prey drive
-low to medium energy

gilles

landseer or newfoundland ...some of the mastiff breeds, like saint bernard
but these are too large,

krissy

Except for the prey drive, I'm starting to think this sounds like a greyhound. But I don't really want a greyhound ..... :confused:
I'm offended! :eek: Why not? lol

I was going to say that it sounds like a greyhound. And the prey drive depends on the individual dog. There are greyhounds out there with minimal prey drive. Summit has virtually zero. I've had a rabbit run across the hiking trail under his nose and he barely looked at it (friend's shih tzu x dachy took off).

Granted greyhounds don't appeal to all. I thought they were a little... different looking when I first considered them. But they were the perfect match on paper and I wanted a dog so badly. Now I think most other dogs are funny, bulky, and unsleek looking. lol

I'm sure that describes some other breeds out there that are non-sighthounds. Good luck! :)

MicksMom

...Honestly, as long as you are feeding a proper diet and bathing your dog on a regular basis, the dogs coat shouldn't be greasy...
Labs and Chessies are supposed to have a somewhat greasy coat to repel water. Bathing removes the oils from the coat, which is why a lot of Lab people rinse their dogs instead of bathing them, even those showing in the breed ring. ;)

SaraB

I was going to suggest a bullmastiff too. I have several in my classes and they do really great! More biddable in my opinion than some of the other mastiffs and a smaller size which is nice.

MrsBoats

I was going to suggest a bullmastiff too. I have several in my classes and they do really great! More biddable in my opinion than some of the other mastiffs and a smaller size which is nice.
Yes...the ones I see are at performance events like agility and obedience. They are nice, steady dogs and they seem like they would fit the bill for what StompinT is looking for in a dog.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Great Dane - this is actually where my search started. GD and Irish Wolfhound, actually. At the end of the day, I decided I just could not deal with drool. Which took out many of the breeds I really like - mastiffs, bullmastiffs, great pyrenese, etc.

I prefer low shedding (who wouldn't? LOL!) but am trying to decide just how much hair I can deal with. I'm pretty house proud and particular, but having said that, I have 3 young children and a shih tzu running in and out constantly, dropping food, spilling, etc. I just clean a lot :rolleyes:

I love dogs that love ME, and are friendly to everyone, but not over the top, in everyone's business all the time. Pretty much just like my shih tzu. If I could get a shih tzu at about 85 pounds, that would be perfect :rofl1:

Oh, and I should add that I really thought a bullmastiff would fit the bill - until I spoke to THREE different breeders who told me they stopped breeding because of tragic incidents involving their "awesome, friendly, calm" dogs who suddenly killed a neighbourhood dog :yikes:

SaraB

Oh, and I should add that I really thought a bullmastiff would fit the bill - until I spoke to THREE different breeders who told me they stopped breeding because of tragic incidents involving their "awesome, friendly, calm" dogs who suddenly killed a neighbourhood dog :yikes:
Um. That's a bit scary.

Yes, super scary. After the 3rd phone conversation with a breeder who told this same story, I just crossed it right off my list. Now, I realize there are likely plenty of great bullmastiffs, I just decided they weren't for me.

I should also say that I will be taking my next dog (along with my shih tzu) to the groomer every 6 weeks, so that is not a problem. I don't do much grooming in between.

SaraB

Bernese Mountain Dog? Great temperaments for the most part (I do know of a few anxious ones, so make sure to check the lines). Non-greasy coat as compared to a newfoundland. Biddable, low energy, fun dogs!

MrsBoats

What! I haven't ever heard of that happening with the bullmastiffs I know are here.

I know - crazy. And I figured maybe I just got unlucky in the breeders I spoke to .... but when I came across the third one I just decided to give up, and that it would be too hard to find a breeder I would trust. Sigh.

Mina

BRT - "the black watch"
-large in size
-fairly quiet
-reasonably biddable
-low prey drive
-low to medium energy

Does this exist? Any breeds jump out as fitting this?
As you hadn't mentioned anything about health or longevity, a Bernese would certainly fit the bill; the Leonbergers and Newfies we see around here are also of similar temperament and energy levels.

Bullmastiffs being out, there is always the Dogue de Bordeaux. The Spinone Italiano would be a very good consideration also.

Having said that, with these general parameters, have you considered a rescue dog?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I'm not sure how active Standard Poodles are, but have you looked in to them at all?

MrsBoats

I know - crazy. And I figured maybe I just got unlucky in the breeders I spoke to .... but when I came across the third one I just decided to give up, and that it would be too hard to find a breeder I would trust. Sigh.
You might also be talking to crappy breeders who don't breed for temperament. I don't know enough about their temperament to say if dog aggression is an issue...but the ones I see on a regular basis don't show that.

I wouldn't write off the bullmastiff because of three breeders. I'm quite sure could pick three rottie breeders from web searches who have created dogs of questionable temperaments. Also too...who are they selling their dogs to?? I'm thinking clueless idiots who set their dogs up to fail by killing a dog.

The national parent club of any breed is a great place to start. They have breeder referral programs in place for people just like you who are looking to get into their breed. You can ask the club questions and you'll get truthful answers.

http://www.bullmastiff.us/

Start here and you will find code of ethics breeders producing dogs with correct temperaments.

Members online

No members online now.