What are you working on?

DJEtzel

Recon especially is working on his leash skills. We went for a hike yesterday with meepitsmeagan and her dogs and I just let him off leash for 90% of it because he's a terror, especially in the wilderness! :p

That said, his recall and off leash reliability hasn't faultered at all since we started it. He was great off leash for an 8 month old male full of hormones!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Videos!!

Here is Payton's first 2o2o session. He gets it then doesn't. I think because standing still is boring.
[YOUTUBE]f9klNCJY2tk[/YOUTUBE]

Playing with Auggie, then Payton, in my new backyard. I need to figure out a better situation for filming. I probably could have raised the tripod more and shot from behind a tunnel... anyway.
[YOUTUBE]z4PON_JN3kk[/YOUTUBE]
There's literally a five minute part of the video (I edited it out) where I just sit down with Auggie after running him and I'm just petting him. It was so fun to run with him again. I probably did a bit too long but it felt great and he was having so much fun too.
I'm doing too much for Payton here. He is not Auggie. He can do quite a bit but he's also not ready for a lot of stuff I'm trying to pull on him. I need to stop it even if we're just screwing around having fun. I also flail my arms an awful lot when running dogs haha.

Uploading cik & cap video now... it's taking forever apparently.
ETA:
[YOUTUBE]YiT3WzHJ-0E[/YOUTUBE]
No idea if I'm really doing this right, I need to watch the foundations class video again. He seems to be having a hard time getting multiple circles down. Also thinking that all he has to do is walk around the plunger and not poke it or throw it across the room.

Last edited:

SpringerLover

Buzz, Frodo, and Siri worked on article indications for tracking tonight. I love operant dogs! It makes things SO MUCH EASIER!

Good dogs all around tonight, good dogs!

Anyone else at 6 months old feel like they are taking 100 steps backwards?
I feel like we are back at the basics. Sometimes I feel like he is so..DEFIANT!

He is all over the place these days. Head in the clouds running around and focus? forget it. LALALALALAL LOOK AT THE BIRDS!!

And he goes to class but it's such a crapshoot because at training class when he is "on" he is..ON. He is the star of the classroom. The trainers don't get it when I'm like "NO. HE IS A LIAR! HE ISN'T LIKE THIS!"
He focuses, he is eyes on me the whole class, never gets distracted, follows every word.

Out and about around other dogs? forget it. The clicker is at home so the rules are off.

Honey, I hear you 100%.....bad boy dogs! :rofl1:

ETA: What we really, for serious, need to work on is recall. recall. Recall

Panzerotti

No idea if I'm really doing this right, I need to watch the foundations class video again. He seems to be having a hard time getting multiple circles down. Also thinking that all he has to do is walk around the plunger and not poke it or throw it across the room.
It's been a bit since I've watched the DVD, but one piece of advice would be to be very mindful of how you are rewarding. Always toss the food in the direction that continues the wrap.

I didn't watch your whole vid, but he got a few multi-wraps!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Still all the puppy class things.

Part of our homework is beginning to teach the puppies to walk on our feet. Like, where they stand between your legs and put their paws on your feet.

Being the overachiever that I am, I REALLY think it would be awesome if we could have that nailed by next class. Especially because even the students that are taking this course again (it's a continual course, not a 9 weeks and you are done kinda thing) don't have it down. And I want to show off :p

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
It's been a bit since I've watched the DVD, but one piece of advice would be to be very mindful of how you are rewarding. Always toss the food in the direction that continues the wrap.

I didn't watch your whole vid, but he got a few multi-wraps!
Good tip! I think I kept allowing myself to get confused about which direction to throw it, which way he was "wrapping." I don't think I will ever be able to use two commands on a course like cik/cap, or even say stuff like "left" or "right." I won't be able to keep straight which is left or right on the fly. x_x

Beanie, is there a reason you're using that stool for 2o2o versus using a phone book or something similar?
It's the best thing I had - it's actually a storage box turned upside down. I went through the house trying to find something to use and that was the best I could come up with. I have an actual kid-sized stool that I brought back from my house this weekend to use instead.

Auggie was taught off the retaining wall in the garden (we have two that are different heights, I ping-ponged both) and then with the deck stairs and then the steps inside. Now that it's finally warmer I could probably teach Pay the same way.

Tonight in agility class we used a slightly elevated plank to mimic a dogwalk. No commands on it yet, I just kind of let him play on it to be comfortable. He doesn't care.

Neither did Miss Georgie who is quite awesome except her flatwork is rubbish.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
We use phone books because they're the same width as a DW & teeter plus they're easy, everyone has one or seven, and they are portable.

That's awesome about class tonight. :D

PWC, why do they train that? For fun or does it have a purpose?

Panzerotti

I don't think I will ever be able to use two commands on a course like cik/cap, or even say stuff like "left" or "right." I won't be able to keep straight which is left or right on the fly. x_x
I soooo can't. I use "dig" for wraps and "push" to take the backside of jumps. I find it sooooo much easier with the one "dig" command, just using body language to indicate which standard to wrap.

I ran my friend's BC pup in a class with cik/cap and I had to walk the courses a million times, memorizing the order of the directions. She has since switched to "dig" because she can't think on the fly either, lol.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Not sure, I think it's just supposed to be something "fun" since most of the work is crate games, focus games, reverse luring, pivots, leave it, etc etc etc. Which not everyone is going to see as super fun, lol.

It's not a large part of the class, we do other stuff most of the time, and then at the end of class we work on tricks.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Not sure, I think it's just supposed to be something "fun" since most of the work is crate games, focus games, reverse luring, pivots, leave it, etc etc etc. Which not everyone is going to see as super fun, lol.

It's not a large part of the class, we do other stuff most of the time, and then at the end of class we work on tricks.
It sounds really cool, I am all about for fun. :) I was trying to figure what it could be for and couldn't seem to come up with a lot so I thought I'd ask.

Gus cik/cap day two. I skipped yesterday because, ya know.. I was lazy :)

I need to break it up and go to foot targets, stays, and 2o/2o, then go back to this. We only have 4 days until the start of the class.

[YOUTUBE]pYAgbnI6Ds0[/YOUTUBE]

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Forgot that last night during class I was working Payton (we were practicing 180s) and when I called him over the second jump, "Here Aug!" is what came out of my mouth. I don't think he even noticed but it sort of broke my heart. I miss working Auggie. I almost brought him to class with me just because, but I need to get Georgie going too so I couldn't...

We use phone books because they're the same width as a DW & teeter plus they're easy, everyone has one or seven, and they are portable.
We don't, LOL... we throw them all away immediately. I even threw away the one that got delivered to my house, which was a mistake because I don't have internet there yet, so I was over there one day and was like "Hey I wonder what the number is for $place. .....Well crap."

I could maybe bring my contact trainer back to my parent's place too, but I'm almost positive it's buried somewhere in my garage behind all kinds of crap we ripped out of the kitchen. *sigh*

I soooo can't. I use "dig" for wraps and "push" to take the backside of jumps. I find it sooooo much easier with the one "dig" command, just using body language to indicate which standard to wrap.
Yeah, with Auggie I just used "around" for wraps - I don't really like it as a word though, it's long and not quite easy to say.

OutlineACDs said:
We only have 4 days until the start of the class.
*scream* Noooo! Not ready! Ack!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Sloan is working on auto downing on the table, we're close but it's still a thought process. I would love a sliding down but I'm not sure we'll see it.

We just ran through several weave proofs today and she nailed almost every one, our entry issue may be fixed. Next test will be collection with a tunnel/jump to the weaves.

I'm trying to train a right side line up and she's really against this, Backup used to be as well, too much obedience. She's offering a great mark and left line up so she's sure that's enough.

We're also tinkering with the foundations homework Backup has because she's starting foundations with Denis this Sunday.

I have started training with Shamoo very casually, trying to find a way to exercise her mind without wearing down her body. We're playing with sits and downs, trying for sit pretty, working on leg weaves, and spinning right and left.

Members online

No members online now.