Mexidogs

Aleron

Its hard enough to tell when they are a known breed from dog sport lines and well socialized. Just playing puppy roulette and grabbing a random street puppy might be an exciting way to get a pet, but not the best way of picking your next dog sport partner.
I'd personally still take my chances with a young puppy, if I decided a Mexi-dog was what I had to have :) Of course, I wouldn't just be taking a "random puppy". I'd look for the things I always look for when I get a puppy. To me, the early phases of puppyhood are just too important to pass up.

i was so surprised! i questioned it of course, but they are always identical, and most have been surrenders so i have to assume the owner told them the breed. it would be an odd one to just guess out of nowhere, and i'd assume they'd guess it as an Ibizan mix, before a Podengo, just given which is known more.

Are these Podengos big or little? All at the same place? I'd probably still question if they were actually Podengos or not.

There's no way to really know but she does fit the CD general checklist except for a few unknowns (heat cycle, puppy-rearing) *shrugs*
How cool! Does she make snout pits?

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
the ones i've seen have mostly been closer to the larger Podengos. the only small one i saw was listed as a Podengo mix.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
@Aleron -- I don't know. She scratches little holes and sticks her face in them but whether she's just trying to get a better sniff of something or wants to eat something or whether it's a formal "snout pit" I haven't the foggiest. Also don't know if they all do it. They seem a motley crew with rather variable behavior and type, but an overlapping average. Perhaps Dr. Brisbin would be so kind as to come I'd my spayed dog for me :p

Aleron

the ones i've seen have mostly been closer to the larger Podengos. the only small one i saw was listed as a Podengo mix.
The medium and large ones are pretty uncommon, so it would be really surprising that there would be multiples at a shelter in your area. Is there a local breeder who's producing a lot of litters? The small ones I have seen are all kind of dwarfy looking - very short legs. I've seen quite a number of the small ones but just a handful of medium and large ones. Years ago, their breed club's website used to recommend not owning one if you have an aversion to using a bark collar or debarking and live in town.

@Aleron -- I don't know. She scratches little holes and sticks her face in them but whether she's just trying to get a better sniff of something or wants to eat something or whether it's a formal "snout pit" I haven't the foggiest.
Well that sounds like a snout pit to me! Of course, I've never seen a formal snout pit either LOL ;)

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
The medium and large ones are pretty uncommon, so it would be really surprising that there would be multiples at a shelter in your area. Is there a local breeder who's producing a lot of litters? The small ones I have seen are all kind of dwarfy looking - very short legs. I've seen quite a number of the small ones but just a handful of medium and large ones. Years ago, their breed club's website used to recommend not owning one if you have an aversion to using a bark collar or debarking and live in town.
aw, i don't think i could ever debark :(

i've never looked for a breeder, but i'll keep an eye out for sure now. i checked my usual 'is there a breeder for this dog in canada" site (ahah) and it had none listed. i will check around :)

Pops2

Vieques island down in Puerto Rico had nice stockier medium boned pariahs. back when they had a naval detachment a viquenzie was the official mascott for the det. she rated 3 meals a day from the chow hall just like any other sailor. they are pretty fair stock dogs and will work cattle & horses similar to a cur dog.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I'd personally still take my chances with a young puppy, if I decided a Mexi-dog was what I had to have :) Of course, I wouldn't just be taking a "random puppy". I'd look for the things I always look for when I get a puppy. To me, the early phases of puppyhood are just too important to pass up.
That's what I did - I didn't want a random street dog, I gave RD a long list of requirements.... and she did a great job at meeting those requirements. If she hadn't, I wouldn't have gotten her. ;)

I've spent a lot of time with podengos - mostly the medio and grande sizes, but also the pequenos - and Talla reminds me a lot of the two larger sizes of podengo. A smooth Podengo Medio was what I wanted, until Talla came along. Also helped that RD is a lot nicer than the jackarse I dealt with in Podengos. ;)

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Wow this thread blew up over night lol

I am not saying I am getting one as soon as I move, I am considering one though.

I would love to do agility, but if I get a Mexidog puppy and the older he/she got and if he/she couldn't do agility, that is fine. I still go hiking, kayaking, the list goes on and on. I am not wanting a dog to do EVERYTHING I want them to do, because that would be almost impossible.

But so far, Mexidogs are looking more and more like an option.
I will probably get a puppy anyways. I want to train it, socialize it, etc etc. I wouldn't mind getting an older (6months-1year) Mexidog but I would be worried about lack of socialization and all that stuff Grace mentioned.

I honestly appreciate all this info.

And feel free to keep posting pictures :D

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
This.

That's what I did - I didn't want a random street dog, I gave RD a long list of requirements.... and she did a great job at meeting those requirements. If she hadn't, I wouldn't have gotten her. ;)
And this.

I am not going to just go all willy nilly and get some random puppy. By no means. I wouldn't do that with a breeder, I won't do it anywhere else.

cloudcandy

Cloudcandy
O
M
G

PUPPY CRICKET
:,)
Why had I not seen these,SO AMAZING ..oh lorddd,and she is still so young,I thought she was older!!
Talia is stunning too!Is she still a pup,I love the name.She looks alot like a patterdale I sit though..wierd

Hillside

Original Twin
these street dogs are melting my heart!!

i am a HUGE fan of the Portuguese Podengo and for some reason there are actually a significant number (and by that i mean i've seen about five in two years) in rescue here. i thought maybe it's because i'm so close to such a major city now and not out in the sticks of the world, comparatively. the pariahs are in my top three of types to own no matter what my boyfriend says (he is forever stuck on Frenchies, complete opposite end of the spectrum indeed!). i only worry that i could potentially be doing these dogs a disservice based on my location. that's not to say anyone who owns these dogs in a likewise cold climate is doing their dogs a disservice, but it would be very new to me to own a dog like that where the winters are so cold.
what sort of precautions do you have to take with these dogs and the cold, in general? would a sweater and jacket really be enough in -25C weather with some snow on the ground?
Well I don't have a mexidog (yet? I MAY end up with one if Grace finds one that fits my temperament/personality guidelines though.) but I DO have a Doberman that is a complete weather wuss and balks at anything under 65-70 degrees (Fahrenheit). It's only winter for a couple of months and Saga has the full assortment of cold weather gear. She has booties, a snood ( to keep her ears close to her head to avoid frostbite) several sweaters/coats/etc. We also don't really do much in the way of outdoor activities when it's cold, it is pretty much just potty breaks. Granted Saga is a very lazy dog, and doesn't bug me to do stuff, but if she did or if future pup needs to, I have a friend who owns a dog daycare that gives me free reign to use her indoor space after hours and it's HUGE! We also have a Bass Pro shop and some other dog friendly businesses in the area, and while that wouldn't provide much in the way of exercise, it does give a lot of mental stimulation. I don't see "cold" as an issue, really, no more than the heat of summer and trying to work around that, too.

Hillside

Original Twin
This. If I do get a Mexipup, well, Grace has my laundry list of traits/quirks/whatever on hand and in addition to that, she and I have been talking for years, so she has a pretty good grasp on my personality and what would suit me, even if it wasn't something I directly mentioned. I would definitely like to find a dog sport, or 17, to play in, but no matter if future pup ends up being a mexipup or a Dutch shepherd, we are going to do what is best suited to us as a team. As I was saying, I have a lot of dog sport interests, but I haven't quite "picked" a favorite yet. For me, I think the best option is having a pup with a "jack of all trades, master of none" (ok maybe SOME, lol) attitude.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
It does indeed seem that pariah-type street dogs are extremely similar the world over. Several of my customers at work have Taiwanese street dogs, and one has a Mexican street dog. All rescues from when they were travelling abroad. They all have similar traits - medium-sized, slender, short-coated, tall ears, though some are flopped, wedgey heads - but also have different overall body types and personalities. I'm finishing a portrait for one of them right now, I'll definitely share when I'm done!

Dekka

Just try me..
The issue is no matter who has your list.. a little puppy isn't going to show enough of those characterisitcs, or be 'set' in them yet. Many of the puppies that I have had have changed quite a bit from 4 months to 6 months. Ie the rough housing agressive little poop head ended up being great with other dogs, the quiet one ended up being crazy high drive... Some like Kat and Dekka were easy to pick out even then with Kat it took her to almost a year before she wasn't a 'scary' puppy. I had no idea if she was goign to be talented but highly aggressive to everything. She wasn't.. she grew out of wanting to attack people...

My point being is that if someone like Grace has a puppy in her care it will be getting socialized. If as it gets older its traits improve or stay what you want then its safe. I know many a well educated dog person has picked a young pup from proven lines and still gotten in wrong. This is just adding more variability.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
My point being is that if someone like Grace has a puppy in her care it will be getting socialized. If as it gets older its traits improve or stay what you want then its safe. I know many a well educated dog person has picked a young pup from proven lines and still gotten in wrong. This is just adding more variability.
But um isn't that an argument for never getting a puppy under 6 months regardless of breed/source?! If all of them are crap shoots, then does it really matter the lineage?! And can't a knowledgeable dog owner do the same socialization at home, with a younger puppy?

There are huge differences between developmental periods (i.e. socialization windows) and total behavioral turnaround imo/e. Yes, there will be outliers and life experiences that change a dog's behavior, but in general I think that what you see around 12-16 weeks is a good guideline on the general behavior of the dog as an adult.

For reference, I've gotten my current 4 dogs all around 3-5 months of age and all have been exactly what I expected (tho Snipe is still in process lol), if not even more awesome, and three are mutts not bred for anything particular. ;) 4 for 4 isn't just chance imo.

Last edited:

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
But um isn't that an argument for never getting a puppy under 6 months regardless of breed/source?! If all of them are crap shoots, then does it really matter the lineage?! And can't a knowledgable dog owner do the same socialization at home, with a younger puppy?

For reference, I've gotten my current 4 dogs all around 3-5 months of age and all have been exactly what I expected (tho Snipe is still in process lol), if not even more awesome, and three are mutts not bred for anything particular. ;) 4 for 4 isn't just chance imo.
Ditto.
4 out of 4 is AWESOME lol

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I also think it depends on what you are looking for.

For most people, if you get a young pup without major issues and work hard at it, if the dog is physically capable and has any drive at all upon which you can expand, you can get a decent obedience/agility/etc. dog. More than adequate for a casual competitor anyway.

I mean Kim came scared, malnourished, and with a very strong "flight" response to all things unexpected (which is probably the reason she was the one pup to survive after being abandoned til rescue was called), and with really no interest at all in people (other than as possible threats or sources of change), etc. and after massive informal socialization and training with a total (mentor-less) rookie with her first dog, much less first competition dog, she was nationally ranked in rally, titled in obe, and is now going for her MACH and often placing in classes of 20, 30+ dogs many of whom are in the top 5 for their breed nationally.

I'm not that special. I'm not that great of a trainer. And I'm not even that lucky. Dogs are just really resilient, in general, and it's amazing what they are capable of given a chance. Even ones with crappy starts to life.

Now if you are looking for the next NAC/NOC, the parameters start to change. You ideally want a dog with abnormally high drives but stable...excellent structure...strong social drive...mental resilience...things that probably won't show up as a very young mystery pup in a reliable way. But honestly when people on a forum ask if a type of dog would be great at agility or whatnot, I generally interpret that as whether the dog would be able and willing to play at agility on a locally competitive level. Because if they were looking for that NAC/NOC dog, if they were serious about it, they probably wouldn't need to be asking the question, or at least not on a general forum like this :p

Dekka

Just try me..
It is a crap shoot. But less of a one when you know genetically what the puppy should be predisposed to be like. This is why people in general like proven lines. Kat was a horrid puppy, but matured fantastically. If its in the genes its a much safer bet.

Same reason people pay big dollars for horses from proven lines, its still a crap shoot.. but much better odds than going to an auction and buying a random pretty and well behaved foal.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I also think it depends on what you are looking for.

For most people, if you get a young pup without major issues and work hard at it, if the dog is physically capable and has any drive at all upon which you can expand, you can get a decent obedience/agility/etc. dog. More than adequate for a casual competitor anyway.

I mean Kim came scared, malnourished, and with a very strong "flight" response to all things unexpected (which is probably the reason she was the one pup to survive after being abandoned til rescue was called), and with really no interest at all in people (other than as possible threats or sources of change), etc. and after massive informal socialization and training with a total (mentor-less) rookie with her first dog, much less first competition dog, she was nationally ranked in rally, titled in obe, and is now going for her MACH and often placing in classes of 20, 30+ dogs many of whom are in the top 5 for their breed nationally.

I'm not that special. I'm not that great of a trainer. And I'm not even that lucky. Dogs are just really resilient, in general, and it's amazing what they are capable of given a chance. Even ones with crappy starts to life.

Now if you are looking for the next NAC/NOC, the parameters start to change. You ideally want a dog with abnormally high drives but stable...excellent structure...strong social drive...mental resilience...things that probably won't show up as a very young mystery pup in a reliable way. But honestly when people on a forum ask if a type of dog would be great at agility or whatnot, I generally interpret that as whether the dog would be able and willing to play at agility on a locally competitive level. Because if they were looking for that NAC/NOC dog, if they were serious about it, they probably wouldn't need to be asking the question, or at least not on a general forum like this :p
Aw Kim got VERY lucky with you! I am so surprised she came THAT far.

And I am not special or a good trainer either, but I know with guidance on here and some patience, I can do it.

I am not looking for the next best agility dog or the next nationally ranked rally dog, by no means.

I want a companion, a dog I can dapple into agility, a dog I can go do stuff with like hiking, camping, etc. I want a companion, first and foremost, and I know everything else will follow through.

Members online

No members online now.