What dog would be best?+

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
A friend of mine had two chihuahas. One died about a month ago from liver disease, and the other got run over two nights ago. They have a little boy who is 4 years old. They want a big dog for him, but they don't have very much experience with training dogs. What breed would you recommend for them? They need a dog that is smart, not too hard to train, and would love kids. I would appreciate any help you could give me.

If they can deal with chewing, sheding and taking it on walks, I would recomend a Lab or a Golden Retreiver. Those are just the two breeds that popped into my head when I read your freinds requirements. Also maybe a type of a Spaniel would be good.

I'll give you my standard answer (lol). Go to the shelter and look at the older puppies and adult dogs or contact some breed rescues. Truthfully, a German Shepherd rescue might be the ideal answer. They usually do a very thorough job of matching the family up with the right dog, and they don't just deal with pure GSDs, but almost always have some very good GSD mixes as well.

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
I was actually thinking of a German Shepherd. I know they are very smart and loyal dogs. I've heard they are pretty easy to train and are good with kids. They talked about getting a lab, but I don't think they could train a lab. Labs are pretty hard headed and stubborn. I've had two before. I know they are great with kids, and all, but I think a German Shepherd will be best. Thanks....

I think it would be a good choice, especially an adult rescue. I dearly love these Filas, but I never want to be without a German Shepherd. Bimmer's raised these two girls and is the biggest reason they have any manners at all - and a large part of me having any sanity left! ;)

pitbulliest

Maybe you can go to the shelter with your friends and check out some dogs...its a good idea to introduce the chi to the dog that the people are interested in. I have a chi and I know that it takes them awhile to get adjusted to any new dogs that may be around..the last thing they would need are two dogs that constantly want to get at each other's throats (although the Chi wouldn't stand a chance! lol)...

Chi's are quite fragile so if they want a bigger dog they might want to consider a breed that isn't so rambunctious (sp?) and frisky...something a little calmer perhaps? I don't really have any suggestions because each dog has their own personality but I would definately do some research if I were those people, and go to a shelter to check out what nice dogs they have up for adoption.

I could recomend a siberian husky, if you look them up there sposed to be very very good with children. I have one myself and i have a neice that is 4years of age that always plays with him. Although they are very energetic and love to run, sometimes mine may nibble on you when he gets excited but nothing harmful. My neice is always chasing him outside and she loves the dog probly as much as i do, there also very good looking dogs. I picked up my male purebread for only 200 dollars though we drove halfway across the country.

I have 2 standard poodles. One of the reasons I picked this breed was that I had a young grandbaby and I wanted a breed that was great with kids. After much research I got Farley and was so impressed that less than 2 yrs later I got Chloe too! My 2 grandsons, now 8 yo & 6 yo, live here and both dogs are absolutely wonderful with them.

Poodles are also extremely intelligent and a joy to train. And a bonus is that they don't shed altho they do need to be clipped about every 8 wks.

Members online

No members online now.