SO Annoying

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
So my mom was saying how we need to teach Tucker to stop "speaking with his paws" so much lol. In other words if you have a toy, treat, oy your just not paying attention to him Tucker will come up and smack you in the face with one or both paws. Lol its funny to watch but it hurts when its you getting b!tch slapped by the Cocker Spaniel lol.

Anyways so today I decided we would start work on this. Now with me he doesen't beg at and when I have a treat for him he knows he has to work for it. Opposed to my mom who is totally wrapped around his little paw :rolleyes: . So sitting for a treat with me is no problem amd respecting me if no problem. He has always veiwed me as alpha I guess because he definatly listens to me best and loves on her the most. Anyways so today we were playing fetch. Tucker is like a bossy little kid when it comes to his toys in other words no other dogs can play with them and if you take to long to through it he will slap you.

So we played fetch for a good hour and I made him sit each time before I would throw his toy. If he would go to rear up or slap me I would correct him. My mom of course sat right there but was too interested in tv to really pay attention to what I was doing. So I got annoyed and shoved the toy into my moms hand and said "here you try it then". And of course I watch that whole hour of training go down the drain :rolleyes: . My mom tells Tucker to sit which she doesent do the right way. And she says it in a bored not so interested voice. So I got annoyed and said from off to the side in a commanding voice "Tucker SIT" and he sat right down staring at my mom. I tried to train them both alittle more but my mom is such a push over when it comes to Tucker and stopped making him sit and just was tossing his toy like always and he was getting smacky.

When I tried to tell her that she wasent fixing his smacking habit she bit my head off. I hate trying to teach her cause she can't take the time to learn or care enough to learn. If it werent for me Tucker would be a nightmare but I was been working with him since he was a pup. I have tried so many times to get her involved and she does to a point.

Sorry just a little rant.

Oh man, I totally understand where you're coming from. I work harder to train my family how to behave around Winnie than training Winnie how to behave around my family... I can't wait until I'm not living at home anymore and I can be the one that takes care of her 100% of the time! Training her will be sooo much easier. My parents just don't understand or care about needing to be consistent with training Winnie, so they give her too much freedom in the house (leads to accidents), let her pull on the leash (all my no-pull training goes poof), let her get mouthy when they play with her (leads to getting mouthy ALL the time, an awful habit I've worked to break from Day 1). And I try to tell them how they should work with her, and they just get offended. *sigh* They just want to do everything the easy way without bothering with training.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I bet that if you told her Tucker had some poo on his paws she'd listen to how to get him not to smack her real quick. Unless she likes smelly paw prints on her shirt, which is cool for some people, I guess.

Doberluv

The best way for him to kick the habit is by not doing what he wants when he paws you. If he's pawing at you because he wants you to throw the toy, don't throw the toy until he sits...if he paws when he sits, that doesn't count...no throwing the toy. Same with when he wants attention. Pawing equals no attention...none. Yup....everyone who interacts with him must do the same. I like the idea to tell your Mom he has poop inbetween his toes. LOL. Just tell her if she doesn't like the pawing (and you don't like the pawing) she'll have to cooperate and stop reinforcing the behavior she doesn't like by giving him what he wants when he paws. Frustrating! And confusing for the poor dog. First he's reinforced for it. Then he gets scolded. It's not fair to the dog.

Last edited:

tac_1

Teri's babies
It's very difficult when you are trying to teach manners and someone in the family is deconditioning them even as you train...I hope your mom will realize that she's not helping the situation and allow you to teach both her and Tucker.

PixieSticksandTricks

The best way for him to kick the habit is by not doing what he wants when he paws you. If he's pawing at you because he wants you to throw the toy, don't throw the toy until he sits...if he paws when he sits, that doesn't count...no throwing the toy. Same with when he wants attention. Pawing equals no attention...none. Yup....everyone who interacts with him must do the same. I like the idea to tell your Mom he has poop inbetween his toes. LOL. Just tell her if she doesn't like the pawing (and you don't like the pawing) she'll have to cooperate and stop reinforcing the behavior she doesn't like by giving him what he wants when he paws. Frustrating! And confusing for the poor dog. First he's reinforced for it. Then he gets scolded. It's not fair to the dog.
Thats pretty much what I do with him. My mom on the other hand :rolleyes: she will do whatever.

Doberluv

Maybe you can clicker train your Mom. LOL. When she DOES do it right....even close to right.....even just one time, reinforce her with what she would like best....lots of praise for handling the situation the right way, a flower from the garden, a hug. Don't tell her what you're doing. Just do it sort of non-chalantly. You can train her too. Reinforce what she does right and don't give her attention (even bad) for when she does it wrong. Try distracting her when she is interacting with the dog the wrong way and give her something else to do. LOL.

PixieSticksandTricks

Maybe you can clicker train your Mom. LOL. When she DOES do it right....even close to right.....even just one time, reinforce her with what she would like best....lots of praise for handling the situation the right way, a flower from the garden, a hug. Don't tell her what you're doing. Just do it sort of non-chalantly. You can train her too. Reinforce what she does right and don't give her attention (even bad) for when she does it wrong. Try distracting her when she is interacting with the dog the wrong way and give her something else to do. LOL.
LOL sounds like a plan :lol-sign:

Herschel

People have an odd fascination with detraining dogs. A lot of our friends like to get our 5 month puppy riled up by gliding their hands over his face to get him excited and jumping at their hands.

We work really hard to make sure he never bites, nips, or mouths on anyone and people show up and ruin all of the training!

On a similar note, we recently took him on a 10-day vacation where we saw both of our families. Before we left, he had great recall and was very obedient. When we came back, he wouldn't come when called, even if we had a treat. We've made sure he is always on a leash and 2 weeks later he's as good as new. :)

Members online

No members online now.