Schutzhund/IPO Heeling

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Can anyone offer any good (free?) advice/resources for teaching the heel? I'd like to get Simi doing the BH routine, just for the hell of it (might actually try for it in the future). But she has no solid heel. None of my dogs ever have. *shame*

I have never been able to successfully train it.. so I need help.

Anything is awesome, thanks!

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Insert complicated answer here.

lol try a month of bowwowflix for 11.95 and rent Michael Ellis' or Joanne Plumbs videos on heeling?
LOL right? I started to type and then I was like, Well... uh... you see...

Ellis DVD is great, really solid and I found it very straight forward. I also loved the results I got from starting Blossom with touch pad/perch work. She's really tight (in fact she crowds, LOL, but that's my bad) and has awesome left turns/pivots.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I am going to start with using perch work as my heel position thing... I think. lol. I started Simi on that and she has done well with it, just never got it 100%. So I am going to work on that. :p

Know any sites that explain it or anything? Good youtube videos? (Or you (both) could just make me a youtube video to watch... lol)

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
It's not free, but enrollment is open for the Fenzi Dog Sport Academy classes and there are some great foundation classes being offered by Hannah Branigan and Shade Whitsel. Observer spots are just $65 for 6 weeks...

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I'll see if I can find any. Really I would start with focus work, move into a sit and focus, and move into focus with movement. You can play find the leg, with shaping, and lure the perfect position, with food or toys.

Right now we're just playing with luring with food, every so often I raise my hand and ask for a step or two with driving head up, then reward. When he's done teething we'll start using a tug and ball eventually to help an armpit focus.

I taught Kastle more or less via Michael Ellis style teaching (and some Ivan...and some randoms). Anyway, we videoed EVERYTHING when he was little. So there are a lot of step by steps. Here is his YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE164BD30BB8D6988
Carma went through the same foundation steps as Kastle, more or less. I videod stuff too, but I think Falon's have some explanation to them.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCej_BHg9iAW0obB7jQfr89w

Kootenay

I taught Kastle more or less via Michael Ellis style teaching (and some Ivan...and some randoms). Anyway, we videoed EVERYTHING when he was little. So there are a lot of step by steps. Here is his YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE164BD30BB8D6988
This is awesome, wish I'd found it a while ago! Will definitely be spending some time watching alllll the videos...

Hillside

Original Twin
I second the Michael Ellis videos. You can get a good grasp by watching the snippets on youtube, too. The other thing that I have done with Nico is have him between my legs and lured his head all the way up. It helps work the neck muscles to get that extension. It also got him used to moving without looking where he was going.

Members online