Yes, I have a crazy dog

Kilter

Took the dogs to the off leash park last night to do a very informal lesson. It was hot, brought water, gave them some before we went. Brought the ball and the one 'student' threw it a few times, but nothing out of the norm for my guys.

However I guess it was too much for Storee, who does not give in. The border collies found shade and chilled out as much as they needed to, but no, not the crazy golden. We did stop tossing the ball and the dogs all layed down in the shade while we chatted. When we went to leave Storee was having issues walking. :eek: So put her in the van, put some water on her and drove to the canal nearby and took her to cool off. By then she was much better but am keeping an eye on her for a few days, vet said to stop throwing the ball for the crazy dog. :rolleyes:

chaospony

Scary stuff! I having being extra careful when we go to the park, I don't think my one girl knows when to quit either.
I'm glad Storee is okay though!

Kilter

People always look at me funny when I say I got a border collie because the golden was too much.

I suppose I could 'beat' some of that drive down but it's too much fun. Having a dog who will push the buttons isn't always fun but it's interesting. I remember last summer at the trial when it was hot, she tried the gate, they had closed them (she figured out if she pushed on them, she could go for a swim). So she stood there and you could see her thinking, she got her leash, brought it to me and sat there wagging her tail. 'Mom, put the leash on so we can get out of here and swim!'.

Needless to say we'll be training a lot out there this summer, around everything else. Run the course first and get to swim as a reward, not as a warmup!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Having trouble walking could have been a sign of heat exhaustion. :(
Yep.

For future reference, you should never cool her off in a canal if she's having that many problems with the heat -- the cold temperature could throw her body into shock. You'd want to use a wet cloth (cool, not too cold) and wet down her ears and paw pads, to slowly cool her off.

Members online

No members online now.