Renee!

RD

Are you dead yet?
Zaphod made a friend today, an off-duty police dog.. I forgot his name, but he's a Fila/Bloodhound cross. I have no idea what they hope for out of the cross, but the guy at the park sure was surprised I knew what Filas were, lol.

He was a cool looking dog, very large with bloodhound markings but the Fila face/expression and that enormous butt. :p I got pics, but can't upload them for another couple hours (left the camera in the car and the parents took the car).

ARrrrrggghhhhh . . . . Now we've got cop dog mills . . . . *sigh*

But at least Zap made friends, lol. Kharma enjoys scaring the crap out of the K9s around here. They bark at her - from the safety of the inside of the patrol cars.

She doesn't forget when she sees them out, and stops in her tracks and gives them THE STARE. Amazing how badly they want back in the car.

bubbatd

I'm so glad I now know what a fila is !!!! Live and learn !!! Took me over 60 years !!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Yup, I'm ready to see those dog/leash pics too ;)

Me thinks you've better gets some pics and upload them.

RD

Are you dead yet?
:( Only one of the close-up shots even remotely turned out.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Yeah. I'm trying to figure out who is breeding these dogs. :(

That was a really nice dog as far as personality and temperament goes, but I can't help but wonder what the police dog "flunkies" are like... They're not bred for hunting around here, either.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Who knows what they're doing, I bet it's just some BYB who wants to produce the cutest puppies everrrrr. :rolleyes:

I've seen a dog similar to this one (though admittedly not as nice in temperament) at the shelter before.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Are you sure that they got it from a breeder?
I know all of the police dogs around here that are used for tracking and sniffing out drugs and stuff (basically all the non-GSDs) come from shelters...

RD

Are you dead yet?
He said he had the dog since he was 8 weeks old, so I would assume he came from a breeder.

Unintentional Fila mixes aren't common here, there are BYBs here and also folks who crossbreed them with hound or pit-type dogs :)() but you don't find a great deal of Filas or mixes in shelters. Usually if they come in, they're too unstable to be adopted out.

They could be looking for the bloodhound nose with something that will protect the handler. Thats something bloodhounds tend not to do, and it makes trailing fugitives pretty dangerous. The Shepherds will protect, but they really don't have the nose for a cold trail like a bloodhound.

Not saying it will work, but that might be the reason for trying.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Perhaps they wanted the desire to protect but not so much mistrust of strangers.. Honestly, I have no idea why they'd need to do a cross like that. I didn't ever think the PD here bought from BYBs (they go overseas for their malinois and dutch shepherds) so I don't understand this...

He was a lovely dog, very aloof to everyone in the park but he was really social with the other dogs, especially Zaphod.

Members online

No members online now.