8 weeks or 9 weeks?

Ive heard that 8 weeks is the best age for puppies to come to their new home. But I also read that at that age they can be very scared of things like car rides and it just isnt the right age. What age would be the best for a husky puppy?

bubbatd

I liked mine to go between the 8th and 9th week .....which ever Friday evening or Saturday morning was the closest to 9 weeks .

Herschel

Most good breeders use 8 weeks as a minimum. However, it definitely wouldn't hurt to let them go until 10-12 weeks as long as you aren't paying for that time.

Maxy24

well since your's will be a large breed then 8 weeks is a fine minimum but if they are willing to keep him with his siblings longer than that's better, so long as the breeder is good and begins socialization with the pups. It's beneficial for them to stay with their siblings and mom longer so they learn how to play right and bite inhibition and some more dog body language. Good Luck with the pup!

bubbatd

I too really thinks depends on the breed .....I feel that Goldens need to connect with people by 9 weeks . My females didn't really interact with them and they all prefered me rather than their siblings !

Good breeders let their pups go at 10-12 weeks. ;) And thats when I am going to let my kittens go to.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Good breeders let their pups go at 10-12 weeks. ;) And thats when I am going to let my kittens go to.
Sorry to nitpick, but MANY outstanding breeders let puppies go at 8 or 9 weeks. In certain situations I would place a puppy with the right people on the 49th day after PAT testing.

Placing puppies at 8 weeks is VERY common in my breed, and is no reflection on the quality or lack thereof of the breeder.

There is nothing wrong with keeping puppies past that time if care and attention is paid to individual training, socialization, and attention. One of the best dogs I ever had I did not acquire until she was nearly 7 months of age. However, her breeder was careful to pay attention to her training and socialization needs.

In many puppies, 8 weeks CAN be a fear period. Placement can still go smoothly if care is taken with the puppy. Altho is is true that puppies can retain experiences at these ages for a lifetime, it is also true that puppies are very resiliant creatures as well who most of the time rebound from these experiences during fear periods, especially if they belong to caring owners who carefully socialize them.

:D

bubbatd

Thanks Redy !! And yes , all my new owners knew of this fear period . If anything was going on in their households during this time , I'd keep them longer . Spirit , don't forget people just didn't come and pick a pup . All were waiting for the litter and visited weekly . I knew what situations they were headed for and most were 2nd or 3rd time buyers .

I have looked it up, and it seems with Huskies 9 weeks is alot better then 8. I have bought a new book that is all about training Huskies. The person who wrote the book breed huskies and trained them, around 20 years of expierience. Im gonna go for what the book said and wait it out until 9 and a half weeks of age. We will be getting the puppy later then expected, but if its better for it then I am ready to wait. Thank you guys for the good information! :D

angelzeus

age to bring puppy home

most breeders will tell you that the ages between 8 to 10 weeks is the best time to bring puppy home never before 8 weeks

bubbatd

When I was buying a wading pool for Ollie today , a lady was buying one for her Choc.Lab ....she's had him 2 weeks . I asked how old he was ....7 weeks tomorrow ! Sad !!

showpug

I think when to let a pup go should be based on breed and individual personality and maturity level of the puppy. I personally wouldn't let a pup go during the fear period (about 8 weeks.) I think it's important for pups to have stability, routine and familiararity (sp) during the fear period and switching homes provides none of that. But, I do know many, many good breeders that let pups go at 8 weeks, I just wouldn't do it myself. My pups won't leave before 10 weeks.

Members online

No members online now.