Large, Easy Going, HEALTHY Breeds

crazedACD

I know they've done longevity studies and dogue de Bordeaux had the shortest lifespan of any breed based on that study. I think it was around 6 years but I can't find it via phone to check sample size. I did see that the dogue de Bordeaux breed club has a page listing seniors- dogs who made it to 7 years old.
Really? Wow. :(

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Here's according to wikipedia.

As with other large breeds of canines, the life expectancy of the Dogue is fairly short. According to data collected by the Dogue De Bordeaux Society of America, the average lifespan of the breed is 5 to 6 years.[2] The oldest dog in the record was 12 years old.[2] The Society is actively recording dogs that are 7 years old or older to celebrate the longer-lived dogs.[3]

I just want to thank everyone on here for all the suggestions!!

That all being said, I think we're going to go with a mutt. I can't see convincing my dad to go the reputable breeder route (or trying to get him to understand why they charge what they charge).

The biggest issue we had with that is that none of us are willing to get a puppy/young adult that was altered young. Not after Kaylee, too gun shy.

But, I found a shelter nearish that brings up a ton of litters from the south and so many of them are generic retriever mixes which I think will be perfect for him. I'm putting out feelers to see if they would be open to having a OSS or Vasectomy done instead of a traditional s/n so fingers crossed.

This won't be for a couple months but I knew there would be a hole after Hannah was gone but seeing him now reaffirms he needs a puppy to bond and play with.

All that aside, if anyone on here in their dog travels finds a young adult/puppy that seems to fit what I was looking for don't be afraid to message me, I trust Chazzers implicitly.

Aleron

Maybe it's regional, but I wouldn't touch one with a 100' pole.
I've always known Leonbergers to be unhealthy too. Same with Swissies and Berners. And Newfs.

Honestly, most giant breeds are shorter lived, more prone to cancer, bloat and orthopedic issues. The ones that are healthier seem to be some of the very guardy type serious mastiffs.

Two of the four Shilohs I know have bite records, one a very impressive one, including a child. One I suspect probably has one by now; the fourth was very sweet. I know two were from the same breeder (the two with known bite records). I'm not sure about the others.

Well...they did originate from someone who wouldn't ever come out and say if she used wolf in her breeding program or not....

Aleron

What does that have to do with a couple of dogs having bite records? :confused:
I think if one is looking for an easy going, very sound, uncomplicated giant breed, Shilohs probably aren't it. They're mostly very big GSDs with some Malamute and maybe some livestock guardian mixed in. And possibly, maybe some wolf. None of which would make me think one shouid expect a people/dog friendly dog who isn't prone to being guardy or SSA.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I think if one is looking for an easy going, very sound, uncomplicated giant breed, Shilohs probably aren't it. They're mostly very big GSDs with some Malamute and maybe some livestock guardian mixed in. And possibly, maybe some wolf. None of which would make me think one shouid expect a people/dog friendly dog who isn't prone to being guardy or SSA.
I just didn't understand the possibly maybe some wolf comment in reference to two dogs that had bite histories. Because agreed, the oversized BYB GSD and BYB akita in there probably contribute a lot more to unstable temperaments than anything. Especially a wolf that may or may not have been used who knows how many generations ago. :confused:

That said, I have met some really sweet shilohs that were more stable than a lot of dogs. Have no idea on the general health and activity level though. If someone really really wanted one, there are a handful of dedicated breeders out there that are doing the right thing for health testing and being picky about temperament if you take the time to look.

To the OP, greyhounds and borzois are probably your best bet for healthy long lived giant breeds dog. NGA greys have a wide range of heights from 23" to 35". Both breeds generally make it past 10 years, have healthy joints and things. You'd want to research the lines because osteosarcoma can happen, along with a few other catastrophic health failures.

I'd avoid the other giant hounds like irish wolfhounds and scottish deerhounds. It would be an unusual blessing if your dog lived to be 10 years old, much less without any health catastrophes along the way.

What about malamutes? There are certainly unhealthy lines out there with orthopedic problems and stuff, but I've known several dogs that lived into their late teens (15-17 years). It seems like as a breed they're generally healthy and longer lived. And while they present their own challenges as a breed, they're nowhere as sharp and guardy as the LGD breeds.

ETA: I'm a derp and shouldn't comment at 1am. :p Just re-read the comment about your dad getting a rad shelter dog. Good luck! I bet he'll find someone awesome when the time is right. :)

Members online

No members online now.