Wow, this oughta help their image...

Ya know, when I first got into danes, everyone called them the Gentle Giant. Over the years, more dane related attacks/fatalities have occured, and people are starting to fear them more and more. They've exploded in popularity and of course, we all know what happens to a breed then.

Not to mention, the CDC list them as one of the top 10 "most dangerous" breeds.

So, as I usually do from time to time, I am looking for great dane related topics in the news and find this gem of an article.

Great Danes! The Origin Of America's Greatest College Mascot Revealed

The University of Albany, SUNY may not have bears roaming campus like Baylor, but no other college in America has the Great Dane for a mascot. Do you know what a Great Dane is? A lumbering, slobbering, aggressive dog of war that towers over most short people. That's right, I said dog of war. Wake Forest's Demon Deacon was regarded as the most frightening college mascot because he reminds students of the looming ravages of time; UAlbany can clobber that argument in the face with this: The Great Dane was bred to help Germans, the formerly genocide happy people of Europe, kill things!

Gee, thanks asshole.

Many dogs were bred to hunt/kill things, that doesn't exactly make them homicidal human eaters. But hey, thanks for making such an ignorant lump of statements.

And dog of war? Yeah, decades ago. Where they HELPED their humans, not devoured them.

Lumbering, slobbering and aggressive? Well, at least two of those adjectives are correct. :rolleyes:

I've had a really bad headache this evening, so maybe I'm just being sensitive but this really rubbed me the wrong way. :mad:

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Well, some frat boy forgot to get over his hangover before writing up that little historical sidebar. :rolleyes:

B

Backward_Cinderella

That article made me laugh, actually. What a poorly written, unresearched piece of sh*t. Seriously. Every Great Dane I've ever met has been a sweet, calm, quiet, loyal trustworthy dog.
*Sigh*
People are so stupid.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
All the Great Danes I've been around have been well behaved. There was a purebred fawn Dane at FOHA a long time ago when I first became a volunteer. She was real nice, but I didn't walk her as she was a little untrained and would have been too much dog for me. Her name was Hagrid, like the giant in Harry Potter. :D

I actually have never heard of any Dane attacks. The media doesn't report many dog attacks around here.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
I'm really taking offense to the description of Danes and the one of German people, too. What an asshole. :mad:

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
The guy writing that crap is clearly an idiot. However, I've seen an aggressive great dane and it's a scary sight. The one I was hired to train had broken the mother's arm when she returned to the house with her second trip of groceries. The first trip contained a roast and the guardy dog decided she shouldn't be coming anywhere near his groceries :yikes: Of course, he merits mentions bc his behavior is so unusual for the breed- I tell people to get danes all the time, they are normally a dream.

corgi_love

Stupid article!

If you look online, you can find many stupid articles like that on just about every breed- I've seen lots. People bash things- dog breeds being one!

chanda

All the Great Danes that i have encountered are well behaved. I have never heard of any Dane attacks over the news and never believe such stories that danes are aggressive.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Not once, in my whole entire life, have I met an aggressive Great Dane. They are usually total sweeties and utter goof balls!

Idiot!

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I've heard of Dane attacks, and I have met an aggressive Dane (she was being rehabilitated after horrific abuse, and she warned people off very clearly, so perhaps not truely "aggressive"). But I still think of them as the "gentle giant." The VAST majority of Danes are just as gentle and sweet as can be.

What a load of garbage. I have never met or even heard of a agressive great dane.Great danes are common around here, not to popular, but its not rare to se 4 or 5 at a time at the dog park. All have been big clumsy goofs chasing each other and playing with other dogs. And then coming up to humans and smelling them all over for treats (one reason i never bring treats, you atract every dog to you lol)

pacopoe

What a winner! Maybe you could ask him to cite his reference materials since it's, you know, obviously steeped in historical truths.;)

Staff online

Members online