Watchdog breed suggestions please

If you like so mush the hunting breeds, how about a weimaraner, vizla, english or a german pointer?

There's a weimaraner near my house and he barks for the right cause, and the weims I had seen they are not exesive barkers.

Amstaffer

Amstaffer, I wonder if that theory isn't stemmed from research off of how Caucasian Ovcharkas guard livestock?? It is the females who are active in patroling and sound off the alarm when something is "odd" or a starnger/threat is approaching and they are also the first to go out and confront them. The males hang back with the sheep. If the females need help then the males will go out and back them up but the reason males hang back is because they learned that wolves had evolved their hunting instinct to send out lower ranking wolves as "bait" for the guardng dogs and then the rest of them would go in and pick off sheep. But now there were the male CO's in amongst the sheep to protect. The cool thing is both sides (COs and wolves) evolved their hunting/defense strategies on their own and with no human assistance, training, or direction! pretty **** cool!
Might be as a whole but my experience with Rotties (the only real guard breed I have owned) that female Rotts are much more alert...especially at night.

I just glanced, but I saw something about fat danes...

Danes are thin and sleek by nature. It's actually not easy to make a dane fat, even when spayed or neutered. Danes are low key, but are also easily kept in shape. A good romp around a fenced yard once or twice a day plus a daily walk is all it takes, and that's in their prime. As seniors, it's less. Puppies on the other hand, will keep you on your toes.

I've had many danes, and I've yet to have a fat one. I do know a friend who had one, but she had medical issues and was always obese, from puppyhood until death....

Not saying it can't happen, it's just not the norm.

And yes, danes drool...but there is a give and take with any breed you'll choose. Some danes are less "wet mouthed" than others, but be wary of any breeder tauting "no drool" or "tight lipped" or "dry mouthed" danes because BYB's are now using this as a marketing ploy. There is no such thing as a dane who doesn't drool- the standard calls for a certain structure, and that structure will allow for loose lips and consequently, drool.

Ilyena

:) I do have a little hard time imagining a dane fat with their slim bodies.. But even if this would be an issue I think at least I can manage the exercise quite good to keep a large breed dog in shape. I hate seeing dogs fat cause I know the kind of health issues it brings up, so I'll do whatever exercise needed really to keep a well balanced dog the way it is supposed to be.

I'll overlook the drooling issue with any breeds suggested. Can't get everything one wants after all, and that's really not much of a problem. Just got to bring a towel everywhere. :lol-sign:

@Sapphire-Light, I don't hunt and have no intentions of ever doing so so I'd prefer to avoid the breeds that IMO really need to hunt to be happy. Sure the breeds I like are hunters as well but they are also companion dogs. The ones you mentioned I think would be miserable if they weren't allowed to hunt.

The various pointers don't have to hunt to be happy, but they DO have to run. For them the primary means of hunting is running around and staring at birds (although the Continental ones will hunt fur). Its pretty easy to leave off the finding and pointing part and stick with the running.

Have you looked at the various Finland native dogs? The Laikas and Bear Dogs? They might actually be too intense and prey driven, but I do understand that they can make quite a bit of noise!

mrose_s

BusterLove
I'll never hunt, but fully intend on getting a GSP one day. Buster's all herding breeds but he'll never herd.

Plus I don't think GSP's are hunting dogs as is, they point right? They show the hunter where to go.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Yes, they are pointers. But they are still hunting dogs. just not hounds. They're gun dogs. They find the prey and point out its location for the hunter.

I don't know much about GSP's in particular, but I know some pointers flush then point.

As far as drooling danes:
How drooly are they? The ones I have known were uber-messy drinkers and would leave you with a wet leg after resting their head on it, but I don't think I've ever seen a Dane with a hanging slimy drool. THAT is the kind of drool that bothers me. 'Cause when they shake their head it can land anywhere!

Ilyena

@Psyfalcon, you're right the Laikas and beardogs can make a lot of noise. They don't even know how to be quiet.. Not quite my type of dogs but I do like the Finnish Lapphund. They've got a good temperament and I think they would be a good watch dog for me but I don't know how well that breed would adapt at living indoors. It might just get too warm and I don't really want a dog that needs to be outside. There are quite a few of them here but they are all outside dogs since they are one of two breeds that can legally be kept outside during the winter with their waterproof and coldproof coat.

DanL

Daisy will get long strings of drool at times. She also gets foamy stuff she'll fling off with a shake of the head that dries into styrofoam if you don't see it and wipe it up. Gunnar is constantly covered with foam from her playing with him.

doberkim

Naturally Natural
I have to say - from what you describe in terms of activity level, getting along with your family, barking to alert but NOT wanting to actually physically protect, limited drool and grooming, and easily available -

i'd say get a good ole' labrador retriever. Not independent, good family dogs, not quiet but not too barky, you can get a black to be more visually deterring.

I wouldn't suggest a chessie or a RR - both of these dogs can be seriously challenging.

Labs may get overlooked because so many people think of them as "everyone' breeds, but I've known some lovely ones from good breeders who would fit your bill perfectly.

As far as drooling danes:
How drooly are they? The ones I have known were uber-messy drinkers and would leave you with a wet leg after resting their head on it, but I don't think I've ever seen a Dane with a hanging slimy drool. THAT is the kind of drool that bothers me. 'Cause when they shake their head it can land anywhere!
Some are worse than others.

I had a male that would throw slingers up to the ceiling. I would find drool everywhere. He was probably the worst drooler I've ever had. I've had a couple that weren't bad at all.

Hannah is an in betweener.

Ilyena

doberkim, the black lab is certainly a possibility but they are also my least favourite of the retrievers. I'd much rather get a golden or a flatcoated retriever than a lab, but I do suppose a golden is less intimidating than a black lab would be and a flatcoat isn't that much of a watch dog (just assuming that since every single flattie I've met have been all over strangers trying to lick them to death just like my cavalier). But I'll reconsider labs. Thanks for your suggestion. :)

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
One little note on Chessies... I had a Chessie foster once... even as a puppy, he was basically a Doberman with a long otter tail and a nappy coat. VERY alert, protective dog. If I was to ever get a sporting breed, I'd get a Chesapeake.

LappieLover

Crazy dog girl
To be honest, I'm surprised no one has mentioned keeshonden. They're medium sized dogs, GREAT watch dogs, and they love children.

Just make sure that you either go through a rescue or a reputable breeder (ie someone who does conformation and health testing) if you do decide to go with the breed.

They do look intimidating and will not hesitate to sound the alarm if something sounds strange to them.

Plus, there is nothing cuter then a kees puppy :D

Romy

Taxiderpy
The breed I thought of while reading this was the bernese mountain dog.

Large, dark, and intimidating. Has a big bark and could easily be trained to bark at approaching people, people at the door, etc. But a giant marshmallow you don't have to worry about attacking the mailman.

Their fur is medium/longish, and would probably need brushing once in a while. The ones I have met were pretty much wash and wear like a golden retriever type coat.

A lab would fit the bill as well, maybe less maintenance on the fur. Good luck finding the breed you like best.

Edit: Just wanted to add that the BMDs I have met were not really droolers. I don't remember them drooling, and if a dog drools I usually notice because I can't stand it either!

Ilyena

Thanks for the late replies. Keeshonden was a breed I hadn't thought of that could very well be a possibility and I've always liked the bernese mountain dogs so I'll keep both breeds in mind.

For anyone that might be interested these are the breeds I'm currently trying to decide between (in no particular order): Black lab, Newfoundland, Leonberger, Finnish Lapphund, Great Dane, Keeshonden and Bernese Mountain dog. I'm leaning heavily onto Finnish Lapphund at the moment, but things might of course change until the time is right for me to go through with this plan, probably in 5-7 years or so.

Thanks again to all that have contributed to this thread. I'm still welcoming any ideas if anyone should think of something more, but so far this has been a great help to me. :)

LappieLover

Crazy dog girl
Finnish Lapphunds are one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE breeds. I was going to grab a puppy for this coming year, but have decided to stick with keeshonden in stead.

I've had people tell me that Lappies are less hyper then kees, but I don't see how that's possible, LOL!

They're both great around kids, from what I understand. I've never had (nor probably will I ever have) children, but our kees is great around them, none the less, even when the kids have no idea how to behave around dogs.

I've actually had strange kids come up and start pulling on her fur and bopping her on the head (of course, the parents are laughing the whole time, thinking its hilarious) and she tolerated it for the two seconds they were getting away with it...

Let's just say that those parents no longer speak to me when I pass them on the street...;):D

Good luck on your choices!

Members online

No members online now.