Akita

motherofmany

Clicker Extremist
Okay, so I'll fess up. I have alwasy wanted an Akita. but hey, I've also always wanted a load of other breeds.

So I did that K9 country breed selector thing just for fun.

Akita matched 100% (along with Chessie and several other breeds totalling 6)

DH and I were talking about Akita's last night. He wants a dog that will protect our kids (in particular, our DD. What can I say, he's a typical Dad) but still be very "family friendly."

So.... anyone here have one? No fear, I will be reading up etc during the next year on the breed. No impulse buyer here. Besides, my lil Chipper needs to learn some basic manners which will take us a bit.

But I'd love to discuss the breed with someone who owns one. Where I am, it's highly unlikely I will find a knowledgeable owner of an Akita. (totally hunting dog territory)

anna84

I'll pipe in even though i've never owned one =). but i find them fascinating. I remember this one guy in my town had one and i always stopped to look at him their gorgeous dignified dogs. I tend to favor herding breeds and more trainable ones but if i was ever going to get something a little different it would be an Akita. I do know that their are technically two different breeds the japanese whcih are a little more like shiba inus their red and cream colored then the bigger blockier ones that can be white and or brindled and are more common in america

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Akitas are very strong willed and dominant. They're not the best around cats and small animals, though the one I've had the most contact with was pretty good. They also have their goofy side.

D

Dobiegurl

I too love Akita's. I never owned one but plan to in the future. I hears that they get bored very easily and many people say that they are hard to train but I talked to some breeders and they said they don't like repeating things over and over again that is why most unexperienced people with the breed say they are hard to train but you just have to change it up every once in a while.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
My Boyfriend has an Akita mix named Reggie. Hes SUCH a friendly boy. I took Riot out to meet him and all he wanted to do was jump on Riot for a play session.. Riot wasn't much into getting squished lol He was smaller at the time lol

He does make a good watch dog though. He lives outside in his dog kennel. Extremely smart as well.

Hes a Dobey/Akita/GSD mix. I'll have to get some pics of him for you guys

motherofmany

Clicker Extremist
The small animal aspect is the only part that worries me. Chipper is pretty bitty (8lbs) but what I am hoping to hear is that if I get a bitch puppy (Chipper is male) and she is raised with him it'll be okay with moderate supervision.

I'm not looking for obedience work, just plan to do basic, home happy training. So that part (the unsuitability for obedience work) doesn't bother me.

Dominant won't be a problem. I do not allow dogs to boss me around, and my kids have been raised to know how to handle a pushy dog too. No small kids in my home and no small kid visitors either.

Lot's of thinking and learning to do here :D

I had a wonderful GSD/Akita mix I picked up at the pound when he was about 5 years old. Bear ended up being certified through the University of Tennessee as a therapy animal. There's a photo of him with my big blue Gonzo cat in my gallery. http://www.chazhound.com/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=7823&cat=500&ppuser=148&sl=r

They got along beautifully - once I convinced Gonzo to stop smacking poor Bear in the nose! :D

perla123

Akitas are really nice dogs my dad use to have one. But if u are thinking of getting one be ready to have lots and lots of hair all over the place.:D and beware of black clothes they will turn white:)

makenzie71

I love spitz dogs in general and I dig the Akita for falling in with the group that basically all domesticate spitz breeds descended from...but I don't think I could own one. I'll try one day, though, lol.

The tool said I was a 90% match for Akitas and huskies (I prefer huskies). Said I was a 100% match for bloodhounds, flat-coat retrievers and English setters.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
They are a very dominate breed and not for everyone.

I heard (and it could be wrong) that most of them have dog agression issues.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
JennSLK said:
They are a very dominate breed and not for everyone.

I heard (and it could be wrong) that most of them have dog agression issues.
Just to make myself clear this was taken of the AKC website NOT my personal opinion since I have never known any
Temperament
Alert and responsive, dignified and courageous. Aggressive toward other dogs.

Last edited:

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Ah, akitas! Zeus' best doggie-friend is a male akita named Jake, and we dog-sit him quite frequently. Here's what I've learned from all that:

-Akitas are aloof. And I do mean "aloof". Jake reminds me very much of a cat. They enjoy your company and are glad to see you, but are not overly-demonstrative. They give you some love, then go do their own thing.

-They don't seem to like cats. My neighbor has had three akitas, and none of them could stand the sight of a cat. Jake has even killed one before, when it wandered into his yard.

-Very dominant, both with people and with other dogs. Not an aggressive dominant, but a very self-assured dominant. Even when doing obedience, Jake attitude is one of "Ok, I guess I'll humor her." Not the attitude of "I should listen to what she says." Needless to say, positive reinforcement is the best way to go with training. You cannot force these dogs to do anything.

But they are good dogs for those who don't like the owner-oriented nature of many other breeds. They love their owners; but typical to their confident, self-assured natures, they know they don't have to show it all the time.

motherofmany

Clicker Extremist

motherofmany

Clicker Extremist
The more I hear, the more I like. (except for the dog aggression things. Something to research more)

I was a Bernie Brown "No Force" fanatic for many years, so positive training is just the way I do things.

Hmmm.... keep it coming folks :)

For some reason, I cannot access the Akta Club's website. Keep getting a message that says I am forbidden LOL

motherofmany

Clicker Extremist
That's the one. It's beginning to feel like someone, not mentioning any names mind you, but someone doesn't want me to get there.....DH hasn't completely adjusted to the idea yet. He comes from a deprived childhood.... no dogs or pets of any kind, can you imagine doing that to a child? Where was Family Services?

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
My best (human) friend has akitas. I've trained alongside of her, boarded her dogs on occasion and basically been around them from puppyhood on. Her male has his championship and is being shown as a special, but he also has his novice rally title and she's working on the advanced titles with the hope that he'll go into regular obedience.

They're not the easiest dog to own and not one I would suggest for a new dog person. They have many of the typical spitz-breed characteristics, including a high level of independent thought and determination to do things their way. I also work with a couple who have shiba inus, and as I have chows I'm able to recognize the similarities between the akitas, shibas and chows.

They have strong feelings towards things (all three breeds) and if not socialized very well as a young dog can end up being dog aggressive (and people aggressive, for that matter). But handled properly, most turn out quite well. Both my friend's akitas and my chows were raised with cats and were great with them, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't chase a loose one and kill it if they caught it (as would my shepherds).

The male akita that belongs to my friend is not easily motivated, unfortunately. He's not a dog that is big on treats, and being intact he is easily swayed by the scent of a female. He had a strong aversion to male dogs when he was younger but he's mellowing considerably as he gets older. He's definitely a handful, but he's also a gorgeous dog with a unique personality.

I probably wouldn't get an akita because of their size (my shepherds are the only big dogs I want) but I think they're absolutely gorgeous and I like their personalities. There's just something about that arrogant, independent nature that I like - which is why I have chows!

Oh, and using positive reinforcement is a fantastic way to work with the akita, but you also need to be willing to set your foot down at times and say "do it because I SAID SO!". They bond very strongly to their people, but they also respect strength and a person who is a strong alpha force (without being cruel).

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Members online