Frozen Raw + Kibble?

KellyB

I've been reading the posts about feeding raw or frozen raw. With the dog food recalls, it's getting scary to feed kibble. I've been feeding Nature's Variety Chicken & Brown Rice since around the time of the initial recall. Yesterday I started thinking about what the benefits and drawbacks would be to adding the Nature's Variety frozen raw to the kibble. If I'm feeding 1 or 2 1oz medallions a day plus 1/2-3/4 cup kibble to a 12 pound dog (this is based upon their feeding guidelines for mixing the two) will this allow Kovi to benefit from the raw diet or does she need to be on a completely raw diet to see all the benefit?

Also, she's small, so the large raw bones aren't really an option for her, so does she need to be on kibble for her teeth?

So far I'm 100% happy with the Nature's Variety dry . . . her coat has improved and she looks extremely healthy, but if I can give her extra health benefits by supplementing with raw, I would like to do so.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
From what I understand, you aren't supposed to mix raw with kibble because one digests faster than the other. Kibble being the slower. I have heard that some dogs can tolerate both at the same time but I'm not a raw feeder as of late ;) I have been looking into natures variety as well both the medallions and dry. Food like Innova evo and timberwolf state that raw can be added to their kibbles I believe, so I'm not sure on the whole thing :confused: Guess, we will have to wait and see what the strictly raw feeders say :)

Amstaffer

From what I understand, you aren't supposed to mix raw with kibble because one digests faster than the other.say :)
I have heard that is a myth, its kinda like people eating steak and potatoes at the same time. Does anyone know for sure? Because I do it and it doesn't seem to bother my dogs. I feed NV Raw with kibble.

There are a bunch of people on here who should know the scoop :popcorn:

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i think if the kibbe and the raw are made by the same compnay in such a way to be added to eachother (like NV seem to be) then i cant see it as a problem, i know there are a few foods out there that are made to be compatible with raw.
id check out the companies website and even email them to double check though.

the general rule of thumb with other raw (ie home prepared or fresh raw) is NOT to feed it in the same meal as kibble due to the different digestion rates, increasing the likelyhood for problems, it is fine however to feed one meal kibble, another meal raw from what im learning.
though honestly, with all im seeing, im thinking full on raw is the way to go.

KellyB

Now there's a thought . . . I could do a morning meal of raw and a nightly meal of kibble . . .

NV has conversions for feeding kibble supplemented with their medallions, but I think I will check with them anyway . . .

I'd still be very interested to hear what others who are more educated on raw than I am think!

I feed a mix of raw and kibble for each meal and so does one of my mushing mentors and we havent had any problems at all. All her dogs do great on it and they range in age from 1 year to 12 years and every single dog is still actively pulling sleds/rigs even the 12 year olds!

KellyB

Thanks BuddysParents . . . I'll check it out, I must have missed that!

Anyway, I emailed NV and here was their response:

Kelly,

Many people mix our raw product with kibble; so that the dog gets some enzymes and fresh foods every meal. Kibble consists primarily of meat and grain; our raw foods are 90 percent meat. While the dog’s digestive system does handle meat and grain differently, when we feed kibble, the digestive system must deal with both types of food. You can feed the raw mixed with kibble, or you can feed the kibble for one meal, and the raw the next. Both types of feeding are excellent.
Thanks!

Jessica

Kelly, your dog will do fine on softer bones like chicken or turkey. The kibble will actually promote plaque.
Raw is easy and you have hardly any poops!!
You can do what you like, but my suggestion is don't over complicate things.
Mixing is unnecessary.
MBG

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
midnightbirdgirl,
I don't have the freezer capacity or feel like I have the knowledge to balance my own raw diet at this time. I also don't have any place in my little 900 sq foot house to put a freezer dedicated to the dog :D
At this point in my life I can't afford to feed a 100% prepared raw diet, hence both.

midnightbirdgirl,
I don't have the freezer capacity or feel like I have the knowledge to balance my own raw diet at this time. I also don't have any place in my little 900 sq foot house to put a freezer dedicated to the dog :D
At this point in my life I can't afford to feed a 100% prepared raw diet, hence both.
Hi FillyOne, I don't have an extra freezer either. And raw is not very complicated. I was a bit nervous about it in the beginning as well. But with all that is going on in the pet food industry, I am so glad I rely on myself than others, to make sure my dog is healthy. Trust yourself and I am sure you will do fine, much better than those we all trusted so long for our dogs health.
It is, I find cheaper to feed raw than prepared. (I did a bit of the prepared raw stuff in the beginning as well, I think many of us do).
I only have one 39 lb dog to deal with, so I can buy a few pounds a week and that fits fine in my freezer, with all our other food.
You need to feed your dog 2% to 3% of the dog's ideal body weight, so a 40 lbs dog would be fed .8 to 1.2 pounds of raw meat and raw bones
covered in raw meat per day., 20% of their diet needs to consist of offals (organ meats and the like). So really it is not that much, and it is pretty cheap. Of course you need to adjust accordingly as to their individual activity levels.
I am not a BARF feeder, as dogs in the wild shake the belly of their prey and do not ingest much plant matter. The occasional vegetable matter is okay, but harder to digest, so she gets little. Yes, their are different schools of thought here, and Summer gets the occasional table scrap and an occasional cooked meal. Nothing is set in stone, just we do not feed any store bought dog food, not now, especially.
I am glad at least you are doing part raw, I hope one day, you are confident enough to go whole hog (no pun intended);)
BTW you have one beautiful dog!!
MBG

Members online

No members online now.