books

Maxy24

Well I've heard some of you mentioning good books about training. I was looking at the book "The Power of Positive Training" by Pat Miller, and I had heard that Doberluv recommended it, Doberluv also recommended "Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson but i read some reviews on it and people seemed offended by it or something so i was wondering what everyone thought about those and which one they think is better. Also i would like other book suggestions about training. Thanks!

BostonBanker

Both of those books are fantastic, and the people offended by Culture Clash are the ones who need to read it the most;) . Both offer a mix of dog behavior/learning information and training tips, with Power of Positive being more focused on getting behaviors (how to teach a sit, down, etc), and Culture Clash being more theory. I think they are a great comliment to each other - I'd read Culture Clash first to get a really good idea of the theories, then PPDT.

My personal favorite books are the two most recent by Patricia McConnell - The Other End of the Leash and For the Love of a Dog. Both have tons of great information, and are incredibly enjoyable reads.

sam

In the first edition of Culture Clash, Jean Donaldson has a real 'tell it like it is' tone to it. I found that made the book more entertaining and reading. Operant conditioning can be a very dry subject at times and I never found Culture Clash dry. I've read it three times. The second edition came out last year and she edited out some of that edgy tone. I prefer the first edition. I agree with BB that anyone who takes offense at CC is probably someone who needs to read it the most and probably supports pretty harsh methods in dog training and hasn't kept up with things.

I love the book, I've seen Jean Donaldson in a seminar last fall and she is ridiculously smart and a wonderful speaker. I love her committment to and call for research based dog training. There isn't anything in Culture Clash that isn't well sustantiated in behavioral studies.

I haven't read Pat miller's book but I've heard it's fanatastic and I'll read it eventually. I second the idea that Patricia McConnell's TOEOTL is a must read too-- but Culture Clash to me is more important things all dog owners should know.

I also think "Shaping Success" by Susan Garrett is one of the best training books ever written for anyone with a high energy, drivey breed or anyone who ever wants to participate in any dog sport.

Next on my list is Suzanne Clothier's "Bones should rain from the sky" which is another one every dog owner would enjoy.

BostonBanker

I also think "Shaping Success" by Susan Garrett is one of the best training books ever written for anyone with a high energy, drivey breed or anyone who ever wants to participate in any dog sport.
I've been trying so hard to not put any more charges on my credit card, but I've been dying to read this book, and you've now convinced me. Off to order....

Maxy24

Thanks every body I think I'm gonna try to get to the book store today and get a few of these. I always welcome more suggestions.

sam

Happy reading! You'll have to let us know what you think. I find amazon has the best prices and always has the books I want.

BB- I went to the store hoping for Bones would rain from the sky but they didn't have it. I got For the love of a dog instead. I think it's going to be a good one!

Doberluv

Suzanne Clothier's "Bones should rain from the sky" A delightful book.

I agree that if someone is offended by Culture Clash, they are probably the ones who feel defensive because defensiveness comes from feeling attacked or criticised. And she does lay on a little sarcasm which I find entertaining and right to the point. She's a straight shooter. She doesn't mince words and personally, I like that. For instance, she is talking about myths and in one place she says something like, "And here's another one. Don't let your dog go out the door first or he is being dominant. Now, who ever came up with that one? Isn't it just possible that he is a dog and something in his environment is very interesting to him and his owner never gave him a reason to wait at the door?" Something like that. So, she has that edge. I have the 2nd addition. I highly recommend Culture Clash to be read first too because you'll learn a lot more than technique as you do in a lot of other books. The only thing negative that I can say about the book is that I didn't read it a long time ago. LOL.

adojrts

Agreed on all counts.
Susan's Shaping Success was a book that I could not put down and when I did finish it in record time...............I flipped to the beginning and started AGAIN. I have read it 3 times cover to cover. It is absolutely one of the best books I have ever read, a combo of a training journal and a wonderful story, even when we know what the ending is lol. It is especially a must read for anyone that has ever been frustrated or at a loss of how to train their dog, it will give them hope and a desire to continue to train, to overcome any issues, this is not a book just about agility. In my opinion anyone with any kind of dog, in any sport or even just a pet would greatly benefit from it.
Take care
Lynn

sam

I ordered Donaldsen's book and the two McConnell books mentioned. I look forward to reading them.

Any other recommendations for multidog household books?

Patricia McConnell has a book about living ijn a multidpog household. I can't remember the title but if you did a search by author on dogwise.com you'd find it.

Members online

No members online now.