Whippet Question...

krissy

For those more well versed in the breed than me...How likely is it to find a whippet that I could show in confo as well as do sports with? Is it common for the dogs to do both?
What kinds of sport are you thinking of? It is highly desirable for sighthounds to participate (and excel) in lure coursing as well as the show ring. So that's pretty common. I do agility with my greyhound. I also show her in conformation... but not seriously. Which one is your focus? For me I wanted an agility dog. When my breeder chose my pup for me she also said "oh, and she's show quality too so you could try your hand at showing her if you want". I wasn't looking for both but I got both.

CaliTerp07

Any dog can do sports, not all dogs can do conformation. A conformation whippet should be able to do agility with the right training. Obviously conformation whippets do lure coursing all the time! I don't see why one couldn't do rally or obedience or whatever else was up your alley.

Aleron

I think you'd be just fine going to a breeder who does conformation and lure coursing. Whippets in general can be sort of iffy sports prospects, some absolutely love to do stuff and others act like they're being tortured. They can be pretty sensitive so you really have to keep everything fun.

Dekka

Just try me..
Absolutely. I have a friend who has dogs who do well in the ring and very well racing and coursing. They are drivey, bouncy out going whippets who would likely excel well at many dog sports.

iriskai

Agree with everyone above. There are specific lines of Whippets that tend to do better in racing, but that's the only sport in particular where 'conformation bred' Whippets don't compare to the 'race bred' Whippets.

My girl is an AKC GCh, has two basic race titles and we've just started getting her coursing (she's abnormal in this department, the first person who owned her discouraged ANY prey drive so we're teaching her how to Whippet). She's also doing very well in agility class and I have every intention to compete in agility.

My boy is show bred but hasn't been shown much, still growing. He has one basic race title and will be starting his first agility class in January.

I know plenty of Whippets who do rally/obedience, one who just earned her first Barn Hunt title, and I think the dock diving record holder is a Whippet. :)

Members online

No members online now.