Pancreatic Enzyme Deficiency

Bijou

Hey,

A friend of the family's one dog has this. I was asked to look on the interent for advise on how to treat and what to feed etc. Basically just some information. As we all know the internet doesn't always throw out the info that you need. So being a member on several forums in my life & knowing how helpful they are I'm now coming here and asking if anyone can give any help or advise on this???

She'd like also to know (I'm just copying here I have no idea) She's been buying pig and cow pancreas's from the butchers & she's adding that into the dogs food. Now what she'd like to know is should she be using the cow's or the pig's pancreas? Although any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Bucket

Hi Bijou
I have a dog that has EPI and I honestly found that the EPI group on Yahoo. I could not get pigs pancreas and from what I was reading it is far more economical then having to buy the powder. Not all dogs did well on just raw pancreas either.
Each dog is so different when it comes to the EPI. I'm considering going Raw food. Only because it seems that my girl has not gained a pound even though we have her stable as far as her stools go. But she also has IBD to go along with this. At one point she had SIBO (Small intestinal bacteria overgrowth). I also take her to see a Holistic vet and we have done better going this route. But again each dog is different and it seems to be a trial and error as far as what to use and the amounts.

Search for Yahoo EPI dogs .

You have to sign up. After you sign up you can view the information they have available which covers food and they have recipes for treats. It also talks about the Enzymes available. Then you can view the forum they have for questions. The people are very nice and are willing to share their experiences.

If I can answer anything else let me know. I hope the best for your friends and their furkid. I hated seeing my girl not feeling well.

I'm not sure if I can post the link or not

M

Manchesters

What?

Bijou said:
Hey,

A friend of the family's one dog has this. I was asked to look on the interent for advise on how to treat and what to feed etc. Basically just some information. As we all know the internet doesn't always throw out the info that you need. So being a member on several forums in my life & knowing how helpful they are I'm now coming here and asking if anyone can give any help or advise on this???

She'd like also to know (I'm just copying here I have no idea) She's been buying pig and cow pancreas's from the butchers & she's adding that into the dogs food. Now what she'd like to know is should she be using the cow's or the pig's pancreas? Although any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
What is that supposed to do? It is the enzymes made by the pancreas that are lackingl If it is just one dog then she can use Viocase. Or purchase some Enzyme tablets that contain protease, amalyse and lipease. Not sure of the spelling but those are the enzymes contained in the Viocase. I had a Dobe that JPI. It is usually outgrown. And overlook the spelling of those enzymes if wrong. At least it'll give you the idea. This is a strictly canine problem. Never heard of kids having JPI.

M

Manchesters

Viocase

Manchesters said:
What is that supposed to do? It is the enzymes made by the pancreas that are lackingl If it is just one dog then she can use Viocase. Or purchase some Enzyme tablets that contain protease, amalyse and lipease. Not sure of the spelling but those are the enzymes contained in the Viocase. I had a Dobe that JPI. It is usually outgrown. And overlook the spelling of those enzymes if wrong. At least it'll give you the idea. This is a strictly canine problem. Never heard of kids having JPI.
Viocase is expensive, which is why I said that if only one dog she SHOULD BE ABLE TO AFFORD using Viocase, lol.

Bucket

Hi Manchesters
The Pig and beef Pancreas contains the Enzymes needed to help the dog digest the food. You can grind it up to a liquid and use it in place of the powder.
The enzymes such as Viokase is the powder form.
None of it is a pleasant scent either.

And you are right the enzymes are very expensive so people use the raw pancreas if they are able to obtain it and their dog responds to it.

Can I post URLS to informative websites?

M

Manchesters

Get The Tablets, rofl

Bucket said:
Hi Manchesters
The Pig and beef Pancreas contains the Enzymes needed to help the dog digest the food. You can grind it up to a liquid and use it in place of the powder.
The enzymes such as Viokase is the powder form.
None of it is a pleasant scent either.

And you are right the enzymes are very expensive so people use the raw pancreas if they are able to obtain it and their dog responds to it.

Can I post URLS to informative websites?
Would love to see some info. But go online, and find some tablets from say Puritan Pride, or Barths. I only paid $3 for 100 pills, and gave old Max 1/2 per day. SOOOOOOO much easier!!!!!

Bucket

I went to Puritan and I'm assuming your talking about Human Enzymes. In my many searches I have read that some people can use the enzymes we can get at the Health food stores. But again depending on the severity of the EPI.
Its much easier too on the pocket book.
The enymes at Puritan are not as strong as say the Viokase. Comparing the Amalyse etc etc.

Can I post URLS??

M

Manchesters

A Question??

Bucket said:
I went to Puritan and I'm assuming your talking about Human Enzymes. In my many searches I have read that some people can use the enzymes we can get at the Health food stores. But again depending on the severity of the EPI.
Its much easier too on the pocket book.
The enymes at Puritan are not as strong as say the Viokase. Comparing the Amalyse etc etc.

Can I post URLS??
Well, then ya just give 2 pills instead of one, lol.

Now I can't tell how much you have delved into canine medical info, but with any of the organs betwen dogs and humans the products produced are the same.....now there may be some differences in the values looked for because of some differences in the digestive and metabolic systems, BUT very, very, very often vets will prescribe human meds for dogs. Like Lasix, and other heart meds, insulin for blood sugar. Sooooooo, you can use human enzymes with complete safety. AND, as I mentioned, just give the number of pills needed to equal the VioKase. The vet had told me to give old Fartyblossom Max 1 teaspoon on his food daily per meal. It seems they need those enzymes right at the time of eating to digest the food. Just once a day does not work.....it is per meal.

Love to see some URLs about feeding yucky pig and cow pancreases to dogs!!!

Bucket

I never tried the pills. We were given Pancreazyme with the instructions of slughtly wetting the food and letting it sit for 20 minutes so the enymes had a chance to start breaking down the food. Well the smell was enough to turn your stomach.
The dog was not thrilled about her meals either. So to use the fresh pancreas chopped up to a liquid form has really got to let out an odor.

I'm glad you had a chance to check out the links. I hope they help someone else that may be new to EPI. Once we were diagnosed I did alot of research to get myself familiar with the treatments.

Members online