HELP for Caiza ASAP!! Please!

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Okay, so as some of you know by the pics I posted I went to the beach today and spent about 3 plus hours there. Caiza spent 90% of that time in the water and obviously took in quite a bit. He threw up a few times and it was nothing but water, he also did very watery poops while at the beach and it just shot out of his butt like urine :yikes: I know they shouldn't drink saltwater and I don't recall him actually drinking it purposely but obviously he ingested alot while fetching his ball and frisbee. Now he is also making this hacking/coughing sound :confused: I am afraid to give him his dinner because he was puking and pooping, what do you think? Does anyone elses dogs do bad with saltwater? I met a woman at the beach today who's golden drinks it and throws up the rest of the day off and on when she gets home......Opinions? Help, advice, anything???

It sounds like its coming out just fine. :rolleyes:

Keep lots of water available to help remove the excess salt. Food, well, it could contain salt, or just come back up... If Buster is having any stomach problems, I don't feed him until I'm sure he is hungry, it helps keep the floor clean. (Obviously, this only works of its a short term bug/irritation of some sort!)

There can be bad stuff in saltwater, so definitely make sure it does not get worse.

yoko

i'd keep off the food and just give water for right now... sounds like just got too much saltwater injested

ACooper

Yep, a short fast won't hurt anything. If he isn't feeling better by in the morning I would get your vet on the line :)

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Sounds just like what happens to people when they swallow too much seawater . . . I'd just give him lots of regular water and see how he is in the morning

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Good thing I don't go to the ocean often, that is it for Caiza for awhile. To bad to, he really enjoys it :( He has been drinking ALOT of water and then vommited ALOT of water out. It literally shot out of his mouth like something from the excorcist movie earlier today :yikes: I took him to my part-time grooming gig so I could give him a bath and get all that salt off of him and *ralph* all over the floor. He drank a big bowl of water there to and drank some nice cold water from the tub in between his bath. Poor boy, now I feel bad and very guilty.................:(

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I add my approval for giving Caiza plenty of water. I'm sorry Caiza got sick, it looked like everyone had such a good time.

Caiza should start feeling better pretty quickly. Sea water is laden with bacteria, so if there is still vomiting in the morning, or he just doesn't look right, I would talk to the vet., I bet he's OK though.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Monitor him closely. Water intoxication is no laughing matter.
Its not, but I suspect this is just the salt and germs in the seawater . . . I frankly can't imagine anyone, even a dog, drinking enough SEAWATER to get water intoxication. I'm not even sure that you could, because what water intoxicaiton does is flush all the salts and minerals out of your body . . .

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
Its not, but I suspect this is just the salt and germs in the seawater . . . I frankly can't imagine anyone, even a dog, drinking enough SEAWATER to get water intoxication. I'm not even sure that you could, because what water intoxicaiton does is flush all the salts and minerals out of your body . . .
What you get with sea water is just the opposite of water intoxication. Typically, sea water has about 4 times as much salt as plasma, and some other stuff dissolved in it increasing the solute load. For people or animals who drink A LOT of sea water, it can start to leach water from the tissiues and cause dehydration. I don't think this applies to the Caiza situation, however, because it takes quite a lot of seawater, usually not an accidental ingestion like this.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
What you get with sea water is just the opposite of water intoxication. Typically, sea water has about 4 times as much salt as plasma, and some other stuff dissolved in it increasing the solute load. For people or animals who drink A LOT of sea water, it can start to leach water from the tissiues and cause dehydration. I don't think this applies to the Caiza situation, however, because it takes quite a lot of seawater, usually not an accidental ingestion like this.

Drmom, The thing that worried me last night is that he was in the water 90% of the time we were their and we were at the beach for about 3 hours :( He seems okay this morning, more like himself.....I gave hime some food last night and he drank more water, then I just woke up a little while ago and took him out and he had more water. He is definately not drinking as much water as he did yesterday after we left the beach and stopped at my work. I don't think the beach is in our future anytime soon. I didn't realise how bad the saltwater can be :(

Well I'm glad to hear he's feeling better, how scary!! I've never had a problem at the beach with mine, but they also aren't fans of the water.

*Amy*

Aw, that stinks Caiza wasn't feeling well after he had so much fun at the beach. :( I hope he's feeling much better today!

Doberluv

A-w-w poor Caiza. I was more worried about the hacking cough....if he had gotten water stuck in his lungs which might lead to an infection....pneumonia or bronchitis. Poor guy. Well, Lyric was chasing sticks one day that I threw in the salt water and he became very thirsty the rest of the day and peed a lot. It turns out he has a bladder infection. But I was a little worried too. However, I know of tons of dogs who spend their lives playing and swimming in the salt water. I hope Caiza is over his diarrhea and gets to feeling better soon. Yeah....usually with a lot of diahhrea or vomitting, complete fasting for 24 hours helps the tummy settle down. But I suppose plain water would be necessary in this case.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I'm glad he's more like himself. It's too bad, because he ceratainly looked like he was having a blast at the beach. You need to get some lakefront property in Maine so he can play in fresh water:D

When you do, can I come visit?

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Thank guys :) Drmom, I take Caiza to the reservoir all the time around here! I just love to go to the ocean once in awhile. Caiza has been before but never got sick like this :( Fresh water from here on for my boy! ;)

Members online

No members online now.