bought a pedi paws

It says to watch the video before using yet I cant it says not available. Can anyone explain to me how to use this thing, and how to get the dogs used to it.
I figure the first few times, dh will have to cradle and hold, while I do it (or the other way around since they are more comfortable with me doing that.

xpaeanx

get them used to it before you try to use it on them.... I don't have one... so I don't know the whole process...

but you let them sniff it and stuff while it's off, then do the same while it's on and give treats.... I'm sure you can google the process and find it written down in text somewhere.....

ya thats what ive been doing , it came in the mail today, so I just let them sniff it, I just put it on the table , every few minutes I would pick it up and call their name, they would come over, sniff again, Daisy being the cook she is thought she could lick it and take a bite. LOL.:rofl1:
Then I put batteries in, I dont think daisy cares to much, its mainly princess Dusty.
I will have to google , I just cant figure out if I roll it into me, or away from me?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Is the pedipaws essentially a dremel tool?

I can't remember who put together a really nice how-to process on getting dogs used to a dremel... SizzleDog, maybe?

yes it just has the guard on it. I wanted to get a dremel but dh insisted this would be better

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Yay! Thanks Dekka. It was going to drive me nuts until I found it. =3

Brattina88

A co-worker/friend bought one for me, and I was a little apprehensive when I used it. I didn't have to get Maddie used to it because I've already used a dremel on her before.

I personally like it *shrugs* :)

Val, my 3 month old Aussie went ballistic at the vet's office today. The vet was trying to trim his nails and he screamed bloody murder and it took two vet techs to hold him down to get his nails trimmed. The vet didn't hurt him; he just didn't want to have his nails trimmed. I wonder how I'll ever get to trim his nails? The vet said to touch is paws frequently to get him used to having his paws touched and desensitzed.

He also recommended that I use Natures Miracle on the carpeting where he continues to try to pee on it.

Doberluv

I left my Dremel at my ex's last time I went to Seattle. I didn't know where I left it because he couldn't find it. So....I bought a Pedi-paws. Long story short: Found Dremel, returned Pedi-paws. That thing doesn't have enough rpms to do much, if anything. It barely worked on my Chi's nails and their's are soft. That guard makes the nails catch and and because of the low rpm, it catches, which is uncomfortable because it stops all the time. Worthless in other words.

Very important to condition them slowly to it...never use force or anger. Clickers are useful for this kind of thing.

It's exceedingly important to read these instructions thoroughly or a Dremel can be seriously dangerous.

How to Dremel Dog Nails @ DoberDawn.com

I left my Dremel at my ex's last time I went to Seattle. I didn't know where I left it because he couldn't find it. So....I bought a Pedi-paws. Long story short: Found Dremel, returned Pedi-paws. That thing doesn't have enough rpms to do much, if anything. It barely worked on my Chi's nails and their's are soft. That guard makes the nails catch and and because of the low rpm, it catches, which is uncomfortable because it stops all the time. Worthless in other words.

Very important to condition them slowly to it...never use force or anger. Clickers are useful for this kind of thing.

It's exceedingly important to read these instructions thoroughly or a Dremel can be seriously dangerous.

How to Dremel Dog Nails @ DoberDawn.com
I figured that the Pedi-paws must be a rip off, but of course, a sucker is born every minute, as they say.

When I get the dog settled down, I will proceed with the nail clippers I used before. I wish I'd a kept the box that the Pedi-Paws came in so's I could return it.

Patiencez

The Gaurd does come off my sil got one.
But I prefer the dremal... have the minimite it has a rechargeble battery pack.
great tool.

The Gaurd does come off my sil got one.
But I prefer the dremal... have the minimite it has a rechargeble battery pack.
great tool.

I am going to need to introduce footy trimmer to my dog very, very slowly and with lots of patience and treats!

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I have a Pedipaws. I got it for Christmas... I also have a dremel.

I actually like it!? It's really useful, and clean. The dremel is good for longer nails (like others have mentioned), but Pedipaws works just fine to maintain. I hated nail dust getting all over me when I dremeled. Fozzie's nails are actually shorter than they've ever been, and the lower rpm makes me less nervous about their nail getting hot or getting too close to the quick. I definitely wouldn't use one on a dog over 50-ish lbs, but Fozzie has pretty thick nails. Both of my boys are unphased by it and I don't find it too vibratey.

I am going to need to introduce footy trimmer to my dog very, very slowly and with lots of patience and treats!
You definitely should. A dog who will be quiet and still for nail trimming and grooming is uber-important, and the earlier you start working with him, the easier it will be for both of you! My friend's 1 year-old is petrified of clippers... I mean, she bolts at the sight of them, and won't let anyone touch her paws. When I babysat her as a puppy, I played with her nails and clipped them with minimal effort (and some peanut butter). But, because that wasn't continued, it is now nearly impossible to do it without her shutting down/freaking. When Fozzie was a puppy, I would lay him on my lap and do one nail at a time, and give him one treat per nail. Now, he runs over and harasses me when he sees the dremel. Be calm, upbeat, go slowly, and DO NOT let him go when he squirms, only when he's behaving.

Patiencez

They are very useful to push the quicks back if you use them a little at a time. for those dogs who have long quicks. an each time you can get the nails a little shorter.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
I have a dremel and it has a low RPM setting...works great, even got hubby to do the dogs nails because it's a "guys toy" :rolleyes: oh well, less work for me. :)

I have started to handle the pupster's paws and in general, make him more comfortable with not being so "touchy" while not letting him any room for Aussie "nipping". He is settling in more and we have gone back to keeping him in the kitchen for now, so we can reinforce his potty training, as he seemed to be slipping back to his old ways. He is a wonderful puppy but he needs a definitely dominant hand at the top of the order of things.

Members online

No members online now.