Can allergies appear later in life?

mrose_s

BusterLove
Just the last few weeks Buster has been really itchy, he ended up scratching off some fur on his back end and with a really itchy, pink belly. I took him to the vet and they thought it was probably a flea allergy, gave him a cortosone(sp?) injection and said to put on his flea meds every 3 weeks instead of every 4. Sure, that was 2 weeks ago and he's already back to being itchy allthe time but his fur has grown back.

It makes me wonder if his pink belly could be a food allergy?

He's 7 now though, wouldn't something have shown up before.

mrose_s

BusterLove
If it was mange wouldn't it have shown by now? He had it when he was younger but he hasn't lost any fur like I'd expect. It was just one small patch near his tail and it grew back after his injection.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
It's possibly for humans to develop allergies later in life so I imagine the true would be same for dogs. Would it be possible to do an allergy panel or are you pretty sure it's the fleas?

mrose_s

BusterLove
I thought it was the fleas but I don't know why its still hanging around, we've been fighting a battle with fleas for about 2 years since we bought Elliot home but Busters never really had issues with them.
I'll de-flea him again this week and flea bath him and then see if I think its soemting else I guess.

Saeleofu

Dogs can develop allergies at any time, just like people. Food especially...that's why a lot of people change up protein sources once in a while.

A number of dogs in our group suffered from allergies in the last few weeks. The vet said it has been a particularly bad spring for allergies. The dogs are all fine, some minor symptoms and others more severe, regular coughing, etc.

You might try an antihistamine.

Members online