Getting started with agility..FINALLY!!:)

Kayla

I've decided 2010 will be the year I stop procrasinating and finally get involved in agility training with Duke.:)

We've had a good year in the Obidience and Rally Obidience atmohpshere and I finally feel, after two years of work, that Duke's ability to recover from going over threashold, and stress tolerance has gotten to a level where he can enjoy, and be successful at agility trials.

I've just found a few DVD's/ books I'd like to review before narrowing down where to take lessons, and whether or not to do group or private but I was wondering what everyone thinks of the DVD's/ books I've been reviewing and am getting ready to order ( but Id like some Chaz imput first:)).

-2 x 2 Weave Training- DVD set- Susan Garret ( I audited two agility camps at Say Yes Dog Training, and deffiently want this DVD set)

-Foundation Agility Training- DVD Greg Darret (It's a bit expensive, but I think I'd rather start off on the right foot from the get go)

-All About Agility- Jacqueline O'Neil (It's relatively inexpensive, and recieved good reviews on amazon.ca)

Lastly I found two books which recieved good reviews detailing massage and flexibility training (does anyone have any other recommendation on the topic?)

-Body work for dogs- DVD -Lyn Vaughan and Deborah Jones

-The healthy way to stretch your dog- Sasha foster and Ashley foster

By the way did I mention I'm super excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for any imput,

Kayla

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I miss you on msn :(

I'm glad you are getting started I think you 2 will have a blast. I haven't gotten to see too many dvds can't help you there hun, sorry.

adojrts

Hi,

You'll have a blast!!

Absolutely agree with Garrett's and Derritt's dvd's.

I would also strongly getting a subscription to Clean Run, it is worth every penny.

I make one huge order from Clean Run a year plus get X-mas gifts from there every year. Great place to find the best agility dvd's and books.

I have Canine Massage & Stretching by Haase and Oleby, I had my Vet/Chiro check it out and she thought it was very good.

Good luck

Dekka

Just try me..
I say go private or semi private. One knowing you and your desire to learn you will like the more attention for your money :p As well it would likely be less stressful for Duke (agility kicks it up a whole nother level).

Bear Luv

CEO of the Candy Cult
I like the Moe Strenfel foundation DVD (Foundation Training For Agility). Its a 3 DVD set, and $39.99 on cleanrun, really worth its money. I havent watched Darrets DVD, but I was told some things that were on it, and I have a friend who saw both of them (and decided to go the Moe Strenfel way with her puppy). I would for sure pick Darrets other products for other situations, but I really like her foundation DVD the best of what is available.

Someone else said taking privates first - I second that! It'll give you a great handle on things, and groups dont give you nearly the kind of one on one that you might want. I know a lot of people who just take privates twice a month.

Agility is soo much fun :D

Kayla

Thanks for all of the great tips everyone!

I have one question I am looking at ordering two sets of 2x 2's off clean run (each set has three bases and 6 poles) and I'm wondering if I need the 22'' spacing or the 24'' spacing?

I think I will start with privates on everyones advice, I promise to take a video once we get started with Susan Garret's 2x2's DVD.

Kayla

adojrts

Kayla,

Go with the 24 inch spacing because in AAC the spacing changes Sept 2010 to 24's from 22. Of course that is assuming that you are going to compete in AAC :)

Kayla

Kayla,

Go with the 24 inch spacing because in AAC the spacing changes Sept 2010 to 24's from 22. Of course that is assuming that you are going to compete in AAC :)
Thanks so much this is excactly what I needed to know:) Will see how far we get but eventually yes I think we would go AAC. I'm just starting my hunt for a location to take private lessons at if anyone has any recommendations for the surrounding areas around Toronto (I'm willing to travel up to an hour and a half) that you've had a good experince with please feel free to PM me.

Kayla

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Clean run's shipping sucks almost like no other.. and I do a decent amount of US shopping. I'd avoid buying anythign heavy from them.. as I've known people who paid a stupid amount in shipping and duty when all they ordered was dvds..

Good number of people in Ontario make 2x2 bases to both specs.

Kayla

Clean run's shipping sucks almost like no other.. and I do a decent amount of US shopping. I'd avoid buying anythign heavy from them.. as I've known people who paid a stupid amount in shipping and duty when all they ordered was dvds..

Good number of people in Ontario make 2x2 bases to both specs.
Thanks for the heads up Laura:)

I'm wondering if you could PM me the contact info for anyone you know of who makes 2 x 2 bases here in Ontario.

Kayla

If you ant I can find my old agiliy instructors email. I know her husband makes weaves (and other stuff), for a decent price.
She lives ut near petrbourgh thou, but teachs in Ajax.

Members online

No members online now.