Ring advice

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
So, my engagement ring is very non-flashy and small. The stone fell out about 2 months ago and I talked to a Zale's lady about getting it fixed and it's going to be a huuuuge deal. Like sending it across the country and quite a bit of money.

My ring was like, a couple hundred bucks? I'm pretty sure it's technically a promise ring. However, I love it and it has sentimental value.

Buuut, Josh kind of mentioned that maybe we should get a new one instead of fixing it since it is considered "totaled" in ring world. IE- the diamond has to be replaced and reset and it's going to be expensive.

So, I really like the idea of getting something where the diamond is set flush to the band so that I don't catch it on dog gear and horse stuff. Then again, I've just been wearing my wedding band and I'm not minding the lack of bling, either.

What would you do? I'm kind of stuck in the middle and this just adds to the ALL THE THREADS lately. :)

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Keep your current ring. At some point, when you have spare cash laying around, get it repaired. Keep it, but don't necessarily wear it for day to day stuff - that way, the stone won't likely fall out again, and it is still there for the sentimental value.

Get the new ring so you have something for day-to-day wear. ;)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
If you do want something day to day other than the band, I would just get a new ring. If it's causing problems now, it's always going to cause problems and not many traditional engagement rings can withstand heavy work with horses, ropes, that kind of thing.

My advice (as usual when it comes to rings) TALK TO A JEWLER.
Zales etc..etc.. are pretty meh when it comes to really being able to make something work for you

I'd say you need something like this, perhaps not set all the way in the band but more sturdy so it doesn't snag

if it were me I would wait to have something lovely made when there is extra cash around...and until then just wear the band.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I'd also encourage you to have your ring insured, if you're able. My engagement ring is part of my wedding band, and it has a large diamond that sits up off the band (although not near as prominent as a solitaire style). When Michael purchased the ring, it came with insurance. As long as we keep up with semiannual cleanings/exams (free of charge), they will replace the diamonds should they ever fall out with an equal or greater value peice. We're also planning to have it appraised with the renters insurance, to have that extra coverage.

I wear my ring 24/7 and I'm a vet tech. I have yet to have any issues with it. Just had it inspected and cleaned and he said all of the fittings were tight/etc.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Definitely some good points! I've debated seeing if I can get the current one made somehow into a different style.

I will go talk to some real Jewlers and next time I will get insurance!

Members online

No members online now.