Should i remove my puppy's poo

drazhar

Hi all. We got our puppy last week, and already she is being very good with teh toilet training. She is about 11 weeks old, and is already looking to go outside to go. There are still accidents, but she is being very good

Her name is chewie, shes 100% mongrel! She looks like a baby wookie!

My question is, should i remove the poo from the garden when she has gone or should i leave it, so as to "mark her spot"?

Also, my partner's parents live across the road from us, and they check on her now and again, and take her over to play with their puppy (our puppy's sister). We think that maybe she is associating the other house with pooing.

My partner's mother believes we should try and get both dogs to poo in out garden, so as to mark a spot there, but our pup is pooing in our garden, just not as regularly as we would like.

just re-reading that, it probably is that she is getting confused about where she should go, no?

Another question, i think her eye sight is not the best, but this is probably because she is so young.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I think you could leave one pile there for the scent if you like. If she gets used to going in the garden at your home and the other house, she should be able to go at either home.

Why do you think her eyesight isn't good?

drazhar

When we walk her (very short walks, five minutes away from the house), she is very nervous around darkened drive ways and the like (we tend to walk her at night, it gets dark at 5pm here in Ireland this time of year!). We think that maybe she cant see whats in them so she is nervous.

She also seems to have trouble if her toys are more than maybe 5 metres away, going mainly on the sound they make. I noticed this (her depending on the sound) when playing with her with a small stick, i was moving it through the grass of our garden and she was jumping for the noise of it against the grass rather than the stick itself. But she is young, so it could be that!

Also, she is about 10 weeks old, and a lot of posts here say she should not be able to hold her bladder for more than 4 hours, yet she sleeps through the night (11:30 - 6:30) without a peep! Indeed this morning was the first morning we actually had to wake her when we went to the kitchen! We bring her out and she goes almost immediately, but she very very rarely goes during the night! Maybe we are lucky!

To be honest, we are still getting used to her (and im being impatient :) ), we only got her last wednesday after all, but we just want to make sure that she knows to poo in our garden, and not want to go across the road (given the inherant dangers of that) to do her business!

bubbatd

I think that they smell where they've gone .... BTW , I'd have the eyes checked out .

drazhar

Our yard is completely fenced in.

We had her checked by the vet last week, she got her vaccinations, said she had great hearing and strong heart, but dont know if he mentioned her eyes. Have a booster for her next week, will make sure to ask then.

lizzybeth727

If your yard is fenced, how is she going to want to go across the road? I don't think you need to worry about this too much, just take your puppy to your spot when she has to poo. A week is extrordinarily fast to expect to make a lot of headway in potty training, I think you just need to give her more time to figure it out.

And I don't think it really matters either way whether you clean up the poo or not, either way she will be able to smell it even after you pick it up.

drazhar

Our house has a wall around it, with a gate at on the driveway. The gate has wire fencing on it, and is the only place she can see out into the "outside world"

My girlfriends parents are across the road.

Chewie looks to go across every now and then, looking through he gate across the road.

Sorry, i didnt mean to imply i "expected" Chewie to be fully house trained yet, but i was just wondering about the leaving the poo around.

As it happens, she is being extremely good, looking to go out now to go to the toilet, and regularly stopping and looking back when going to the door or sniffing around. She really is doing excellently, much quicker than expected, but we arent going to declare victory until like halloween! :)

Thanks for all the responses.

As for the eyes, I take my dogs to a canine opthalmologist. He or she can do an in-depth exam of your dog's eyes. A regular vet can check some things, but if you're still worried, get a more thorough check.

To me, it's unnecessary to leave the actual poop on the ground. Surely the smell will be there for a while. Perhaps when your dog poos a second time, you can pick up the first, so there isn't old poop sitting around and drawing flies.

Congratulations on your new puppy!

Members online