anyone have bettas?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
We bought a male betta for Emily's aquarium Saturday and I'm so confused about this fish. We acclimated him to the water right (rested the cup on the surface for 15 minutes and then added the tank water from Emily's tank a little bit at a time for about 1 hour before adding the fish). This fish has barely eaten he's pecked at a few of his betta pellets but spits them out, he ate a couple freeze dried bloodworms but not much. He swims a little but for the most part his is really lazy.

The tank was cycled prior to getting the betta because we originally planned on putting a goldfish in the tank and then the LFS said a 10 gallon was too small for a goldfish.

Anyway, anyone have advice?

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
My last betta was lazy as all get out. He'd sit there and stare at me and would only swim when food came.

My new betta is much different. He likes to hide and he's a swimmer, but he has his moments where he is pretty stationary and it scares me a little, lol.

Make sure that he has a place to hide, some fake plants or what not, condition his water.

Is he in good shape? For instance, I knew my betta needed some TLC... he's on some meds to get his fins and color back. He loves his food, though. Bettas also need warm water- do you have a heater?

Kathy29

Is the betta the only fish in the tank? What is the temperature of the water? And, lastly, do you have a filter or something going on in the tank that's causing a lot of water movement?

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Oh, that ^ reminds me, my new betta loves to swim through the bubbles of the filter.. *chuckles* he's funny.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Is the betta the only fish in the tank? What is the temperature of the water? And, lastly, do you have a filter or something going on in the tank that's causing a lot of water movement?
yeah it's a 10 gallon with 1 male betta. I have a heater and it's set at 75, but it's about 74 degrees in there. I do have a filter as well because it was set up for a goldfish so I had the water and the filter running and cycled the water and put the heater in when I decided to do something else.

We have 4 fake plants in there now that he hides in.

We do condition his water and also use Cycle every week as well with the water changes. He seems to be in good condition his color is good and he doesn't seem to have any problems so I haven't been treating him for anything yet.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Agreed. Bettas aren't quite as active as goldfish anyway. Mine didn't really eat more than a few pellets until 3-5 days after I got them and then it was only 6 pellets once a day. I quit using freezedried bloodworms in the regular "fish food" cans after I kept getting horrible cases of tail rot. Quit using the bloodworms, no more tail rot.

Kathy29

What a lucky betta, all that room to himself! :D

Yes, just crank up the heat a bit more and see how he does then. Bettas are naturally finicky eaters and may not eat for a few days after you bring them home. Just keep offering the bits, but refrain from giving the freeze-dried bloodworms -- too much of those can cause intestinal blockage.

And it looks fine from the pictures, but if there's a little too much water movement, you might want to turn the filter down a notch. They don't seem to like too much water movement. I guess there are exceptions like Buddy's Parent's, but from my experience, my bettas have always done better without too much disturbance. Plus, they like to hang out still and peacefully at the top often.

Good luck!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Here's a better picture (sort of) of him. He was actually so active in this picture he was swimming around everywhere, I'm surprised it came out halfway decent.:

Will his colors change as he gets older? I love all the red on him but lots of times I see that they change, is there a reason for that.

We are also planning on getting some cory cat (probably 3) to go in there with him in a couple months (not for 6 months or so). I like the panda cories and they need a mature tank so we'll give this tank 6 months to get established and see if he does ok with them.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I guess there are exceptions like Buddy's Parent's, but from my experience, my bettas have always done better without too much disturbance.
Well, of course I get the odd betta! :p

All of my bettas have always enjoyed just hangin' out. Either in the plants or at the top or bottom. Sparky, my new betta... he's teaching me not to stereotype bettas. :p He's so different from my last betta that I feel that I am learning all over again!

Good luck, Julie!

A filter like that gives very little real current, although it is important that they have room to get out of any current that does exist. They have parachutes for a tail! Some seem to like to play, but then get out of it.

As long as your tank is fully cycled you can add your cories quicker. While they do not like ammonia, the difference between a month post cycling and 6mo is really minimal. By then your filter will be as developed as its going to be to develop for a betta's waste. Cories do like big groups though, at least 6, but maybe add them in groups of 3 a few weeks apart to check for ammonia problems. I've got a dozen bronzes in a 10, they love big groups!

daaqa

lurking near the surface
bettas tend to have such a variety of personalities. the betta i had before rufus was SUPER anti-social. he hated the sight of people. i would have to feed him and then leave.

as others mentioned, some are really picky eaters too. however, i have yet to come across a betta that will turn down some frozen bloodworms! i keep frozen bloodworms around for my newts and sometimes will supplement my fish with them and they go crazy!

food ideas

Members online

No members online now.