How much cat food?

em&ollie

Cavalicious
Following guides, following opinions and following my cats body seems to be confusing me!!! :confused:

I can't tell if shes fat because she has a lot of loose floppy skin under her belly and is a big fluffball really.

I've been feeding her roughly 1/4 of a cup of dry twice a day and have now been told that isn't enough. It seems like if I give her anymore she leaves some left over.

I know to give her wet food and variety but canned wet food always makes her throw up! Even the good kind with no by-products.

I didn't introduce her to bonees and other raw meat as a kitten so she won't touch anything like that now.

So what I'm really asking is, how and what should I feed my cat?

BTW. I feed her Nutrience Holistic cat food which is basically the best you can find in Australia.

Maxy24

I know nothing about Australian cat food so I'll just trust you that this is good food, but before I give recommendations on amounts I'd like to know what breed (or mix) she is and how active she is.

I also feed my two Siamese (traditional,so not the real thin sleek ones) 1/4 cup twice a day and I think that it's fine. Although one of my cats seems a little bit over weight (has that flub hanging down, I call it his man flub :p ) the other one is PERFECT. I don't think I would ever feed less than that unless it was a very small cat, if you think she is over weight try increasing her exercise by playing with her. My cay loves fetch so we play that a lot but I find the game that really gets his body going is tag! find what your cat likes and go with that.

dogstarsleddogs

The dog is never wrong!
Our cats also seem to be eating around 1/2 cup each a day. I fill up thier bowl every day with about 3 cups of food, so with 6 cats, about 1/2 cup each. We do have one skinny cat that also gets 1/2 can of wet food each day to suppliment her.
As for whether she is fat or not, you will want to feel the ribs, (dont have to push through alot of fat), but they're should be a "fat pouch" on thier bellys, between thier hind legs. If you cant feel thier ribs, too fat, and if lacking the fat pouch, too thin.

Barb04

Super Moderator
My vet determines if they are overweight by feeling the bone that sicks out behind their neck.

Members online

No members online now.